Thread: 1972 Benson & Hedges 500

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Weekend Warrior
    Thanks Bruce
    To read that post and be able to know definitively that GG7963 really did start the race is absolutely fantastic. Then to find a period colour photo of it is brilliant. Now I would really like to know whether the car finished the race, and if so in what position.
    I knew quite a lot about the car going back to the late 80's when Maurice O'Reilly bought the car. He raced it in Historics in the late 80's & early 90"s with some success I believe. He also competed in the inaugural Targa NZ in this car. Please if anyone can elaborate on these things we'd love to hear about it. I must commend Maurice for the work that was put into this car in his ownership. They spent quite some time & effort on this body in the early 90's. It was fully seam welded and a bolt in roll cage was installed. The car shows no sign of ever having been rusty and repaired. A testament to the quality of this work is that I have been able campaign this car through 8 seasons with no significant maintenance to the body and little deterioration.

Cheers
    Steve

Weekend Warrior
    By the way this car has been kept in the spirit it's history deserves. It still sports a a Fiat 125 series 1608 engine with it's original spec Dellorto DHLA40 carbs, 4 speed gearbox and Fiat 4.1 axle (with LSD centre added). Original brakes (good pads) and original period option 6" x13 Ward wheels with modern R Spec track rubber. The engine has been "tuned" but only by way of traditional means - cams, compression etc and a decent set of headers. It is still on points ignition. Below is a link to a clip from inside the T at our annual event around the middle of the City of Albany at the very Southern part of WA, we call these events here "Round the Houses" events.
    Turn it up - or better still get some speakers.

Cheers
    Steve