Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Dawson's DeKon Chevy Monza 1001

Red Dawson's DeKon Chevy Monza 1001

I've recently been contacted by an enthusiast who has purchased the DeKon Chevy Monza, chassis #1001, from the estate of Scott Carpenter.

For those who aren't aware, this is probably the most significant racing Chev Monza in the world. The car was built by DeKon Engineering (the company founded by Lee Dykstra and Horst Kwech) for the IMSA series' newly introduced All-American GT class, with support from General Motors.

DeKon constructed their first IMSA Monza, chassis number 1001, in 1974. This was the car used in numerous magazine articles throughout the US, and created quite a stir. DeKon planned to produce cars for customers wanting to run them in both IMSA and the Trans-Am.

Chassis 1001 was originally built for Tony DeLorenzo to race, but when his sponsor pulled out, DeKon ran the car themselves, with Kwech driving. Painted white with red and blue stripes, the car made its race debut at the Road Atlanta IMSA race in April 1975, where Kwech qualified fifth behind three Porsches and a BMW 3.0CSL. However, he quickly moved to the front in the race, and was leading comfortably when he collided with a lapped car and was out on the spot.

The Monza was repaired and sold to Maurice 'Mo' Carter, who repainted it in his traditional red and white, and raced it for a few months before then selling it to Kiwi racer Red Dawson, who shipped it back to New Zealand in late 1975, still in Carters colours.

Dawson raced the Monza until late 1976 when he rolled it in a violent crash at Manfeild, ending his career. The car repaired and sold to John Briggs in Australia. It was later sold to Mike Griffin, then Jeff Barnes who made some changes to its layout, and later to Scott Carpenter in the late 1990s, who kept it until the time of his death.

The new owner plans to restore this very important Monza back to its early guise, when it was raced by Carter and Dawson, and is appealing for help both in regards to period photos from when Dawson (or Carter) owned it, and he is also wanting to make contact with any of the crew members who worked on the car when Dawson owned it. Photos from Briggs time with it would also be useful.

If you're able to help with photos, please post them here or please email me at: theroaringseason@gmail.com If you crewed on the car, or know someone who did, or know of someone who did, would you mind emailing me also.

Many thanks. Be great to see this car back out in public once again, restored to her former glory.

Name:  6932253996_0ddeb4c4e8_b.jpg
Views: 3145
Size:  153.4 KB

In particular, the new owner is hoping for engine bay, underside, and interior shots, as snapped here by Mike Feisst. Like many Sports Sedans during the 1980s and '90s, it underwent changes to the layout, most notably in its engine being moved back in the chassis for better weight distribution.

Name:  DeKon1001_RedDawson_1977-01-xx_Pukekohe-paddock.jpg
Views: 2848
Size:  105.6 KB

World Champion
    I hope it is ok to post this.
    Name:  DeKon1001_GM-Suspension-Rig-03.jpg
Views: 3547
Size:  184.3 KB

and browse this site.

http://www.scharch.org/Cars/Monza_Ra...aDeKon1001.htm

(Ken Hyndman )

Thanks Ken, yes the new owner is aware of that excellent website. You will see they've taken several images from The Roaring Season. Its a great resource.

The new owner plans to restore this very important Monza back to its early guise, when it was raced by Carter and Dawson, and is appealing for help both in regards to period photos from when Dawson (or Carter) owned it, and he is also wanting to make contact with any of the crew members who worked on the car when Dawson owned it. Photos from Briggs time with it would also be useful.

How could this car be restored back to it's early guise ? K & A did a major update of this car when John Briggs
    owned it Probably all that was left of the original car would be the roof and pillars and the rear hatch
    I think the Matich that Bryan Sala has now, was dismantled for the running gear for the Monza

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post

How could this car be restored back to it's early guise ? K & A did a major update of this car when John Briggs
    owned it Probably all that was left of the original car would be the roof and pillars and the rear hatch
    I think the Matich that Bryan Sala has now, was dismantled for the running gear for the Monza
    You can only work with what you have when restoring an old race car Bailey. I'm told there is still a relatively good amount of the original car remaining, including the complete roof, which still bares the repairs from when Dawson had his Manfield shunt in 1976, plus sections of the chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    You can only work with what you have when restoring an old race car Bailey. I'm told there is still a relatively good amount of the original car remaining, including the complete roof, which still bares the repairs from when Dawson had his Manfield shunt in 1976, plus sections of the chassis.
    I attended the Gold Coast Indy event in the early 90's when the Australian sports sedans ran there, and this
    car was there, driven by Geoff Barnes, along with the Seidel built Chevy Monza I had a good look over
    this car, because it was an interesting car, and because I had seen it run in NZ in the hands of John Briggs
    years before, and Red Dawson of course. I don't remember seeing much of the original car remaining,
    other than the pillars and roof. It has a monocoque chassis fitted up inside where the original floor pan
    and rails once were. The work K & A did on it is light years ahead of what Dekon did, hard to see why
    one would want to de-engineer it, given it's continuous history etc

Hi Bailey. Over the last 10 years I have fully researched this car (and most IMSA Monza's) and feel qualified to comment on the DeKon chassis'. I have contributed too, and had much information supplied by the owners of 1002, 1004 and 1005 Dekon's with reference photo's and the like regarding these cars. I had many conversations with Scott Carpenter about his car over the last six years and was very sad to hear of his passing. His family made contact with me late last year and I was able to view the car earlier this year.

Having not seen the car for (maybe) 25 years, and now knowing what to look for, I was suprised to see just how much original DeKon was intact. I have spoken with Dale Koennecke at K&A engineering to determine just how much of the car was revised when it had the major rebuild in 1980. Dale's recolections tally with the chassis as it is today. From the main hoop back it has had significat re-fabrication for the fitment of the Hewland. From the firewall foward, the front frame has been replaced with a stressed (monoque style) spaceframe, picking up off the original DeKon frame uprights but utilising the original front suspension. The engine was moved back behind the original firewall (chassis) and the only change to the central chassis has been the lowering of the side intrusion bars on the left (drivers) side.

The repair of the car after Red's Manfield crash were sympathetic to the original construction and there is evidence of these repairs still today. If one was to rate the total of original "car" that has survived, and as Red Dawson ran it, I would rate the car, as it sits, at 70%. I will justify that by acknowledging that the car was involved in crashes from its first race with Horst Kwech, further damage when being campaigned by Mo Carter and of course Red's three years with the car.
    Last edited by aussiemonza; 07-10-2016 at 12:03 AM.

World Champion
    But...it was not 3 years, in fact as a driver, Red barely had it for 1 year, the Camaro went up for sale in late November 75 and and its first race in NZ would have been late December 75 or early January 76, the Manfield crash was early November 76, from which, of course Red never raced again.
    He may still have owned it, but...

World Champion
    This may be old news but the January 2016 Australian Muscle Car magazine has an article on the Moffat DeKon Monza which includes a good interior photo of that car. Would that be similar to DeKon 1001 Monza ?

http://www.musclecarmag.com.au/back-...r-issue-86.php

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 07-10-2016 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    But...it was not 3 years, in fact as a driver, Red barely had it for 1 year, the Camaro went up for sale in late November 75 and and its first race in NZ would have been late December 75 or early January 76, the Manfield crash was early November 76, from which, of course Red never raced again.
    He may still have owned it, but...
    You are right Sean, he would have raced the Monza for less than a year. It made its NZ race debut at Bay Park in December 1975, and Red had his Manfield shunt in October 1976. But I'd have thought he would have owned the car for three years, or the best part of three years? It required a big rebuild after Manfield, and the earliest I've seen of the car in Briggs hands was late 1978.

World Champion
    Yes, thats what I thought as well Steve. Now as I do not have that report, I am assuming from subsequent references in MotorAction that in that initial meet at Bay Park Red had some kind of accident? And from other articles he then found out about one of the previous accidents the car had been involved in, but not advised to Red, as a result the cars handling had been poor at Bay Park.
    I have been through all the MotorActions I have and I am missing that initial edition from 1976 that covers that meet and which I thought may have had some photos, there is however an article from 1980 you will be interested in Steve, I will PM you with details.

Thanks Sean, yes it had several shunts in just its first couple of years. Including the crash on race debut, Mo Carter also crashed the car at least once. Dawson then crashed it at Bay Park in its NZ debut (pictured), then crashed it again at (I think) Pukekohe.

I wrote about the car for NZ Classic Car mag several years ago, but all my stuff is currently in storage.

Name:  photo011.jpg
Views: 2396
Size:  114.2 KB

Baypark Crash

Name:  Dawson-Baypark1975.jpg
Views: 2533
Size:  139.8 KB

i have a Motorman magazine from 1976 and the article is-
    Red and his Marlboro Monza
    Seven laps around Puke,inside pic of Red and David Hall., also front on pic with a bit of right hand side.
    Apparently Phil Kerr, Mike Hailwood, Dave Bridgeman the Marlboro man were there and they all had lunch together.
    Red was also asking if any one else wanted a drive, Mike Hailwood said no, he blacks out at over 50...
    Marlboro promotions man hosted the day.
    Comparisons with pic #2-
    front area of bonnet, grille and lower spoiler is all white- #2 has black on the bottom with 2-SHELL stickers.
    Also has MARLBORO in a big sticker across top front screen. #2 has MONZA
    So car in my article is more pic #1, and has Red Dawson Motors, not Red Dawson Racing.
    Red was 45 at the time.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 07-11-2016 at 06:27 AM.

World Champion
    Red Dawson Manfield crash
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks Bry. Did Terry Marshall take that one?

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Thanks Bry. Did Terry Marshall take that one?
    I shared that from this page - couldn't find a photo credit
    http://www.scharch.org/Cars/Monza_Ra...aDeKon1001.htm

This is one Allan Dick posted on his Autonews page. I'd not seen it before and it captures the terrifying height the car reached.

Name:  226636_240815359404895_733673095_n.jpg
Views: 2698
Size:  84.9 KB