Thread: Red Dawson's DeKon Chevy Monza 1001

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Bry. Did Terry Marshall take that one?

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Thanks Bry. Did Terry Marshall take that one?
    I shared that from this page - couldn't find a photo credit
    http://www.scharch.org/Cars/Monza_Ra...aDeKon1001.htm

This is one Allan Dick posted on his Autonews page. I'd not seen it before and it captures the terrifying height the car reached.

Name:  226636_240815359404895_733673095_n.jpg
Views: 2718
Size:  84.9 KB

World Champion
    Wow - what happened exactly?

Bry- saw it on TV at the time .
    His car went suddenly off the track- the driver - hit a ditch ( I think) and rolled and just kept rolling.
    It was shocking.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 07-16-2016 at 12:26 AM.

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    His car went suddenly off the track- the driver may have had a medical event- hit a ditch ( I think) and rolled and just kept rolling.
    It was shocking.
    If I am wrong or out of line here,let me know and I will correct this.
    Cbeers John - I have never seen photos of that before

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    His car went suddenly off the track- the driver may have had a medical event- hit a ditch ( I think) and rolled and just kept rolling.
    It was shocking.
    If I am wrong or out of line here,let me know and I will correct this.
    Hi John, I was sitting in the stand near the sweeper and saw that crash. My memory is pretty rusty but I think Red just over steered coming out of the corner and bolted off to the inside of the track where there were a few drainage ditches and nosed in and launched.
    I also recall Neville Brickley having a similar incident coming out of the esses at another event. The Manfeild organizers did a lot of work to try to keep on top of drainage problems, just an unfortunate set of circumstances for those two drivers. I hadn't heard of Red having a medical event but I'm sure it's possible. Dennis Marwood and other contemporaries would mostly likely know but whatever the cause it certainly was a sad end to Red's career.

World Champion
    After the rebuild - John Briggs

Red Dawsons Monza.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    This is one Allan Dick posted on his Autonews page. I'd not seen it before and it captures the terrifying height the car reached.

Name:  226636_240815359404895_733673095_n.jpg
Views: 2718
Size:  84.9 KB
    I would be interested in who was involved & where the rebuild of Red`s DeKon Monza took place following the Manfield crash plus general details of the repair itself if known & how long it took.

Regards, Trevor Benton.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Benton View Post
    I would be interested in who was involved & where the rebuild of Red`s DeKon Monza took place following the Manfield crash plus general details of the repair itself if known & how long it took.

Regards, Trevor Benton.
    Maybe Tony Lowe will chime in? He was talking to me a wee while ago about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Benton View Post

Regards, Trevor Benton.
    Hi Trevor, the Monza was repaired by the Stone Brothers. I spoke with Jimmy recently and he remembers the job may have been given to them as they were one of the first to have a TIG Welder in NZ. Lee Dykstra also rembers sending some parts to NZ for the repair.

I trust this won't upset too many people. Following a full examination of the Monza with Lee Dykstra and other members of the consortium, it has been decided to restore #1001 back to its first iteration as the car was presented at the 1975 August Road Altanta IMSA race, Horst Kwech driving.Name:  DeKon1001_Kwech-2_IMSA-RdAtl_1975-04-thm.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  55.4 KB