Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Red Dawson's DeKon Chevy Monza 1001

John I haven't seen that issue of Motorman, but as you say, a late season colour change. Dawson purchased the Monza off Canadian racer Maurice 'Mo' Carter, who always raced red cars with white details, and when the Monza arrived in New Zealand, it only required Marlboro decals and a switch to Dawson's #35, and it was good to go. Everything else about the colour scheme was as raced by Carter.

This late season change was then changed again for the 1976/77 season, by which time it appears Marlboro were no longer supporting Dawson.

Dawson Monza 1975/76 with the white front

Name:  Dawson-Monza-Puke-75.jpg
Views: 1616
Size:  114.3 KB

Name:  RDawsonMonza-Pukekohe1976.jpg
Views: 1572
Size:  131.1 KB

World Champion
    From working through the Motor Actions from 1976 the change in paintjob happened between Ruapuna 7 Feb and Pukekohe 7 March. the white front remained until Bay Park at Labour Weekend in October, the loss of Marlboro sponsorship could be accounted for from any of the following,
    1; Red had said he wanted one more title tilt, so 76/77 may have been his last season anyway,
    2; The talk that the top class would drop from 0-6000 to 5000, or
    3; At Ruapuna, there had been issues regarding sponsorship ie; Rothmans attempted to stop Red from racing, so as Peter Stuyvesant were the overall series sponsors for the 76/77 season (Rothmans/BAT) but also Marlboro sponsored the races of the visiting Australians in Oct/Nov 76 and Red and been a vocal opponent, particularly of the legality of the Corvair. So a split by mutual agreement to avoid any animosity.

Now the Marlboro track day was in May of 76 as well.

Name:  DSC_0272.JPG
Views: 1495
Size:  170.5 KB

Name:  DSC_0273.JPG
Views: 1481
Size:  165.1 KB

Name:  DSC_0274.JPG
Views: 1507
Size:  177.9 KB

Name:  DSC_0275.JPG
Views: 1502
Size:  164.3 KB

Name:  DSC_0276.JPG
Views: 1494
Size:  177.0 KB

Name:  DSC_0278.JPG
Views: 1505
Size:  171.3 KB

Thanks guys, these are great!

Some more from Warwick, from that day at Manfeild in 1976.

Name:  278 A.jpg
Views: 1647
Size:  132.0 KB

Name:  280 A.jpg
Views: 1556
Size:  163.3 KB

Name:  282 A.jpg
Views: 1564
Size:  176.9 KB

Name:  283 A.jpg
Views: 1461
Size:  182.8 KB

Red Dawsons Monza.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    This is one Allan Dick posted on his Autonews page. I'd not seen it before and it captures the terrifying height the car reached.

Attachment 35939
    I would be interested in who was involved & where the rebuild of Red`s DeKon Monza took place following the Manfield crash plus general details of the repair itself if known & how long it took.

Regards, Trevor Benton.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Benton View Post
    I would be interested in who was involved & where the rebuild of Red`s DeKon Monza took place following the Manfield crash plus general details of the repair itself if known & how long it took.

Regards, Trevor Benton.
    Maybe Tony Lowe will chime in? He was talking to me a wee while ago about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    I haven't! Thanks Rhys, that video is outstanding.

This is the Monza on its NZ debut, at Bay Park, 1975.

Name:  2006-01-01 2006-01-01 010 015.jpg
Views: 1296
Size:  138.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    From working through the Motor Actions from 1976 the change in paintjob happened between Ruapuna 7 Feb and Pukekohe 7 March. the white front remained until Bay Park at Labour Weekend in October, the loss of Marlboro sponsorship could be accounted for from any of the following,
    1; Red had said he wanted one more title tilt, so 76/77 may have been his last season anyway,
    2; The talk that the top class would drop from 0-6000 to 5000, or
    3; At Ruapuna, there had been issues regarding sponsorship ie; Rothmans attempted to stop Red from racing, so as Peter Stuyvesant were the overall series sponsors for the 76/77 season (Rothmans/BAT) but also Marlboro sponsored the races of the visiting Australians in Oct/Nov 76 and Red and been a vocal opponent, particularly of the legality of the Corvair. So a split by mutual agreement to avoid any animosity.

Now the Marlboro track day was in May of 76 as well.

Name:  DSC_0272.JPG
Views: 1495
Size:  170.5 KB

Name:  DSC_0273.JPG
Views: 1481
Size:  165.1 KB

Name:  DSC_0274.JPG
Views: 1507
Size:  177.9 KB

Name:  DSC_0275.JPG
Views: 1502

Name:  DSC_0276.JPG
Views: 1494
Size:  177.0 KB

Name:  DSC_0278.JPG
Views: 1505
Size:  171.3 KB
    Any chance of getting a scan of this article? rowan@motoringevents.com.au
    Last edited by aussiemonza; 09-14-2016 at 05:14 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    This is the Monza on its NZ debut, at Bay Park, 1975.

Name:  2006-01-01 2006-01-01 010 015.jpg
Views: 1296
Size:  138.2 KB
    Any idea why the "Marlboro" is covered over?

Quote Originally Posted by aussiemonza View Post
    Any idea why the "Marlboro" is covered over?
    I don't have my period magazines at hand Rowan, they're in storage. But from memory, there was an issue over cigarette advertising, as another brand (Peter Stuyvesant?) sponsored the event. From memory, the Dawson Monza was to be turfed from the event, but some sort of common sense prevailed, and he was allowed to continue, with the Marlboro signage covered up.

World Champion
    Thats it Steve, there was a race, I will check its either Wigram or Teretonga where Rothmans tried to prevent Red competing, British American Tobacco being the parent of Rothmans and Peter Stuyvesant amongst other brands. Rowan, there are 3 articles there, do you want scans of everything I have on Red and the Monza?

Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    Thats it Steve, there was a race, I will check its either Wigram or Teretonga where Rothmans tried to prevent Red competing, British American Tobacco being the parent of Rothmans and Peter Stuyvesant amongst other brands. Rowan, there are 3 articles there, do you want scans of everything I have on Red and the Monza?
    Re the covered signs, you and Steve are correct, confirmed by Bill Minty, the meeting was sponsored by Peter Styvesant and the biggest news of the meeting was the Monza's of Red and Moff. Red was jammed between the Promoter and Marlboro and as we see from the images the compromise was to "roughly" cover up the Marlboro. As a past marketing person, I reckon Red and Marlboro would have received more publicity due to the stouch than had the promotor and BAT just copped the signage!

Scans of enything you have would be fantastic thanks seaqnmac27. Much appreciated.

rowan@motoringevents.com.au

40 Years ago this month

I came across this terrifying photo on the net and noticed the date written on the bottom.

Name:  Red Rolls.jpg
Views: 1008

This is from the Motoraction report of the Bay Park meeting.

This shot shows Red's car before he was made to cover up the Malboro signs.

Name:  img984 (2).jpg
Views: 970
Size:  120.1 KB

And this explains the reason why he had to do it.

Name:  img985 (2).jpg
Views: 956
Size:  144.5 KB

Robin Curtis did not use Moffat's name at all in the report, instead referring to him as the Australadian.

Obviously Robin was not a favourite of Moffats!

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Benton View Post

Regards, Trevor Benton.
    Hi Trevor, the Monza was repaired by the Stone Brothers. I spoke with Jimmy recently and he remembers the job may have been given to them as they were one of the first to have a TIG Welder in NZ. Lee Dykstra also rembers sending some parts to NZ for the repair.