Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Peter Bruin Collection

The Peter Bruin Collection

A few years back, the late great Peter Bruin gave me one of his photo albums as a start of a project to copy them electronically with the intent of recording them for posterity. Unfortunately Peter's untimely passing meant that only one of his many albums was copied.

Here are some of those photos.

Wow, Roger, these are stunning. I've seen one or two of them before, but didn't know who'd taken them. Thanks so much for posting them.

Yes Steve, some of these I've posted on various threads before but I thought they should all be in one thread dedicated to the photographer - who was a lot more than just a photographer ..............

Here are a few more :

And some more :

Last edited by RogerH; 10-13-2011 at 12:16 AM.

World Champion
    Thats a cool looking dude in the Daimler, wonder who it is. And in fact, it looks like another one alongside.....hence the 'Ecurie Daimler' sticker. I'm sure it must be someone famous......look at the overalls.....DUNLOP. mmmmmmm.

World Champion
    At first I thought it was Jim Palmer, as the helmet has a similar stripe, but I dont think so. Was it a celeb race? Look at the prep on the Daimler.....very nice low screen, Triumph TR6 wheels. Our Man is adjusting his mirror for any eventuality.....it all says 'professional' to me. Another pic has the other Daimler, No 59, on wires but maybe a different race. Certainly the Triumph wheels set the car off......dont wheels make a HUGE difference to the look of a car.....just slightly wider and more aggressive, after the pathetic things that were on the SP250 originally. Could it be a candidate for Oldfarts racing poking its nose in on the picture with the 'streamlined' Holden, the mighty Citroen L15. Great pictures.....more please!!!!

If it is who I think it is, he was in a Daimler team with his father and he subsequently progressed onto a very successful single seater career ......... and his son races in the BMW E30 series .........

World Champion
    Is this who, what and where??????

Oops - wrong thread . Maybe I should have just said that it was a good photo of David Oxton in the Daimler.

Some more Peter Bruin photos :

These are bloody fantastic Roger.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
    Some more Peter Bruin photos :

I have ended up having a connection with some of these cars - the Lola Mk2 (in the garage with the white stripe and #128 in the wet Puke race) was John Histed's car which raced in Europe in 1960 as car #3 of a quasi Lola works team run by Team Fitzwilliam Racing. In 2005 I was fortunate to find the team's #1 car in the loft of a private museum in the Black Forest in Germany and bought it out here and after a refurbishment it is now raced at most opportunities. John Histed was amazed that his team car ended up in Auckland 50 years after his had arrived and graciously presented me with all his spare parts that he had stored for well over 40 years.
    The car in the last photo is the A40 Special driven by John Curtis. This car was originally built by my great uncle Des Herrick and as mentioned in other posts it was rebuilt by Bruce McLaren and was also Chris Amon's first race car. I got it back into family ownership a few years back and it is now running.

Diverting a bit from the Peter Bruin thread (I will get back onto it) - here's a photo of my Lola Mk2 mentioned above :

Some more of Peter's Photos :

Quote Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
    Oops - wrong thread . Maybe I should have just said that it was a good photo of David Oxton in the Daimler.
    I was going to throw that in, as David Oxton, Jim Murdoch, and a Roger Smith were all mates back then and all had Daimler Sp's (for another thread)

I had the fortune to get to know Peter Bruin pretty well over the years, He shared a workshop with Bill Shields for along time

Roger, do you know what became of the other albums Peter had?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Roger, do you know what became of the other albums Peter had?
    Yes, I know where they are and I'm hoping that in time they can be made available for scanning.

Thats good news Roger, as long as they're safe.

Unfortunately a number of years ago boxes of Peter's slides taken when he was working with McLaren in the USA were stolen from the back of his vehicle. But, yes the rest of his photos are safe.

Maybe Roger, for those who may not know, could you write a little about Peter's other achievments?
    Last edited by pallmall; 10-14-2011 at 12:58 AM.