Thread: 69 429 Boss Nascar race engine

69 429 Boss Nascar race engine

Hi All, I have a photo of rare bit of Ford race history. Thought you may be interested in seeing an engine I have just had built using all rare 1969 NOS Nascar components including R block, Holman Moody heads etc. It has taken me years to accumulate all new old stock Nascar parts. Colin
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wow, that is a thing of beauty Colin! Nice work. Is it going into anything or will you just display it?

The engine will be going into a 70 429 boss clone.At present it has a component 429 boss motor, the car is about to have a nut and bolt restoration. The nascar engine was built by Holman Moody the so called experts with these and Jimmy Tucker was their man. I thought it would have been neat to have them assemble it as there can not be many nos nascar engines left. When the engine arrived I noticed a few mismatched nuts and bolts, not the ones I had sent. The heads were fitted on the wrong sides, magnesium spider manifold, rocker covers and dry sump were painted and starting to peal. At this time I decided to have an expert engine builder check it out, a good thing as when stripped you would not believe the poor workmanship (the kid next door could have put it together better). As all components were nos they just assembled the engine without deburring, prepping and checking clearances. Even the exhaust valves were touching the pistons, one side of the heads not torqued correctly, gaskets fitted upside down, O rings fitted incorrectly and jammed into galleries, the list goes on. Brennan Racing completely stripped, balanced and assembled to the highest standard. Sure hope nobody else commission Holman Moody to complete engine work.Pity I wasn't building the car for the muscly car class as these boss hemi nascar engines put out around 850 HP.