Thread: The innovations of Smokey Yunick

World Champion

The innovations of Smokey Yunick

When I was at Laguna Seca I came across two cars that had been modified by the well known character, Smokey Yunick.
    Smokey was known in the U.S. for his engine building skills, designer, crew chief, team owner etc and always appeared with a cigar or pipe and wearing a worn out cowboy hat. He was not a fan of all the NASCAR rules and his bending of these rules is legendary !
    Smokey was at his best during the 1950s on into the 1970s.

World Champion
    The first car I came across was the beautifully restored 1969 Boss 302. Chassis # VIN 9F02M148626. # 11 driven and owned now by Ross Myers of Pennsylvania.
    This was first built by Kar Kraft for the 1969 Trans Am series before the car was delivered to Smokey for his preparation. Then it was decided to convert the car to race in NASCAR instead of the Trans Am.
    To make room for his own designed free flow exhaust system, Smokey removed the stock steering box, modified e frame rail and installed Australian Falcon RHD steering box to allow room for the custom made header exhaust system. He also built a special bellhousing that mounted a reverse rotation starter motor which allowed even more room for his trick header system..
    A copy of the original sales invoice to Kar Kraft. ( Note the prices !)
    Name:  smokey_invoice.jpg
Views: 1293
Size:  68.1 KB
    Name:  smokey_ta1969_1.jpg
Views: 1431
Size:  73.6 KB

Smokey Yunick's exhaust system on the Boss 302 # 11 plus the modifications to the steering to allow the exhaust system to fit
    Name:  smokey_exhaust.jpg
Views: 1525
Size:  69.4 KB
    Name:  smokey_steering.jpg
Views: 1297
Size:  89.4 KB

( Ken Hyndman ) images from poneysite.transam.com

World Champion
    Typical of Smokey was when he was asked to put the numbers on the car to go racing it was meant to be black numbers against a white background so he made it a gold number against a black background !
    This car only did one NASCAR race and then was left for years and was featured in this book. (Which I do not have. )
    When you see the car now it is hard to believe it was a "garage find".
    Name:  Smokey's # 11 Boss 302.jpg
Views: 1391
Size:  172.6 KB

# 11 as it looks today at Laguna Seca. August 2016.
    Name:  # 11. 1969 Boss 302.jpg
Views: 1438
Size:  170.7 KB

(Ken Hyndman photo )

I recall it was Smokey Yunick who many years ago had a heated argument with NASCAR officials over the fuel capacity of his car, they claiming it was too large.

So they drained it absolutely completely, and they gave him the OK.

Then he got in the car and drove off......

World Champion
    Terry,
    I think he had fuel stored in tubing wound up inside the roll cage !
    He was very clever and cunning and drove NASCAR officials crazy !

(Ken H)

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Terry,
    I think he had fuel stored in tubing wound up inside the roll cage !
    He was very clever and cunning and drove NASCAR officials crazy !

(Ken H)
    Something like that.
    The fuel line was 2 inch diameter and an incredible length of 11 feet, to give an extra 5 US gallons.
    And also, the inflated basketball in the tank at scrutineering which later....
    I've heard similar about Tom Walkinshaw and the Group A XJS's.

Great thread Ken. Smokey is a character I've long been fascinated by. I don't think he ever considered he was cheating when building the cars he did. He just read the rulebook differently to everyone else. In his case, if the rules didn't specifically say something wasn't allowed, he assumed it was OK.

Smokey wrote a book a few years before he died called Best Damn Garage In Town. Its out of print now, but is well worth picking up a second hand copy. Its HUGE! Over 600 pages, much of which is of stories of his youth, his conquests with many, many women, his time during the war, his involvement in the beginnings of NASCAR etc. And he doesn't hold any punches. Some of his recollections of the cars he built are a little mixed up, but thats understandable. He built and raced a lot of cars. I think the thing that surprised me most was how big he was on improving safety in racing, especially in tyre technology, and even safety fuel tanks.

World Champion
    The other Smokey Yunick car that I noted at Laguna Seca, was the 1968 Camaro # 13 now owned by the Edelbrock family.
    There is quite a history to this vehicle which I will try to enter from magazine clippings.
    Name:  # 13  Camaro..jpg
Views: 1237
Size:  151.4 KB
    Name:  Smokey's 1968 Camaro.JPG
Views: 1191
Size:  78.8 KB
    Although on the history board it states that one of the well known drivers from the past was Bruce McLaren, this clipping states that
    JIM McLaren never drove the car which must have pleased Bruce as he had just won at Teretonga from Jim Clark in the 1968 Tasman series driving a BRM P126 and was on his way back to England to prepare his own F 1 car. He certainly did not need all this b.s. !
    Name:  Smokey and Bruce.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  38.8 KB
    (February 1968 clipping )

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 09-28-2016 at 08:35 PM.

World Champion
    If you look closely you can see the subtle differences between Smokey's 1968 Camaro and the 1968 Penske Camaro.
    Note the smaller fender flaring and the door area drain rail differences between the two cars. Just one wiper, the hood and door fit, exhaust protrusion and probably other items that I did not catch. (Smokey's innovations. )
    Name:  Penske Camaro Z28. 1968.JPG
Views: 1251
Size:  111.6 KB
    Name:  Smokey's 1968 Camaro.# 3 JPG.JPG
Views: 1278
Size:  122.9 KB
    (Ken Hyndman photos )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 09-28-2016 at 09:12 PM.

World Champion
    Christi Edelbrock is the driver of the restored Yunick Camaro # 13.
    Name:  Christi Edelbrock with Camaro # 13.jpg
Views: 1139
Size:  168.3 KB
    She drives it well. Christi is also an accomplished horse equestrian rider and almost made the US Olympic team.
    Christi using a very expensive writing area to autograph a toy Shelby fastback !
    Name:  Christi Edelbrock and the 1969 Boss 302 Mustang# 2 jpg.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  125.4 KB

Her grandfather established the Edelbrock Company that is famous for camshafts,manifolds and many engine components especially in the world of drag racing. The company has been run by her father,Vic jr, for many years and has a wonderful reputation.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/misc/company/

Vic, jr has restored and races the ex Bud Moore Boss 302 that was driven in the 1969 Trans Am series by George Follmer.
    Name:  Christi Edelbrock and the 1969 Boss 302 Mustang.jpg
Views: 1119
Size:  183.6 KB
    (Ken Hyndman photos )

Name:  Edelbrock. 1969 Boss 302.jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  115.6 KB
    Vic Edelbrock at speed. (historictransam.com photo)

World Champion
    Another Smokey Yunick project was with this 1966 Chevrolet Chevelle.
    As described in this 2001 Super Chevy magazine.
    Name:  Smokey_Yunicks_1966_chevelle+rear_view.jpg
Views: 1629
Size:  102.8 KB

http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

(Ken Hyndman )