Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Rhys Nolan Collection

Photos: The Rhys Nolan Collection

Name:  IMG_3042.JPG
Views: 1723
Size:  136.3 KB

I've actually been holding on to this neat old photo collection for some time. In fact, quite a lot longer than owner Rhys Nolan would have liked. Many of you on here know Rhys as 'Oldfart'.

Rhys loaned me this lovely old album book of his, with photos spanning from 1965 through 1967, so I could scan the images and share them here. Trouble was, my scanner had quit on me, and I hadn't got around to purchasing another. So Rhys' album sat in my bookshelf. And then it sat, and sat some more. Eventually, I tried taking a close-up photo of one of Rhys' photos, and really liked the way it looked. The photo captured the 50 year old yellowed pages of his album, as well as his basic description penned by Rhys for most of the photos, and the little photo date on each.

To that end, I photographed each photo, in an effort to finally share this collection with you. I hope you enjoy them. They're really neat, honest images, that capture the era perfectly. But best of all, I can finally return Rhys' photo album!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Name:  IMG_3014.JPG
Views: 1536
Size:  109.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3015.JPG
Views: 1589
Size:  117.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3016.JPG
Views: 1565
Size:  128.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3017.JPG
Views: 1579
Size:  90.0 KB
    The label Pete Geoghegan Lotus should be Leo Geoghegan

Can you also give the "Jackie" photo a closer look?

The helmet looks bit dark for Stewart.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post

If 1966 NZ GP, would be G Hill; didn't Attwood run only the remaining NZ Tasman rounds?

World Champion
    The #2 BRM was definitely Mr G. Hill of Great Britain

Remember folks, Rhys was just writing in these details as his photos were developed, which unlike todays instant digital world, is often quite some time after the event.

World Champion
    I wonder Steve whether Jackie took over Graham's Brm at some stage in practice for some reason, I will check the report when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post

Agreed. At 66NZGP Hill had #2 and Stewart had #6. So if anyone can read the number it would help. Beyond my poor eyes.....

Quote Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
    Agreed. At 66NZGP Hill had #2 and Stewart had #6. So if anyone can read the number it would help. Beyond my poor eyes.....
    Just enlarged this one; it's definitely #2. Driver's head attitude looks mighty like Graham Hill's, but too blurred to make out the London Rowing Club markings.
    So, whose car was #1, the first photo in post #1? Was it a spare, or later renumbered as #2 or #6 for the race?
    The 10c Tote windows behind the car identify the meeting as being the NZGP.