Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Rhys Nolan Collection

Jim Clark's Lotus was number 1 in 1966.

BRM only had two cars here so the car shown with the number 1 must have arrived with that number and been photographed before the correct number was applied.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenz View Post
    Just enlarged this one; it's definitely #2. Driver's head attitude looks mighty like Graham Hill's, but too blurred to make out the London Rowing Club markings.
    So, whose car was #1, the first photo in post #1? Was it a spare, or later renumbered as #2 or #6 for the race?
    The 10c Tote windows behind the car identify the meeting as being the NZGP.
    As I only went to a few meetings, by train from Matamata as a teenager of course what I wrote was the correct meeting. Regards Attwood, how would I have invented that? It's a long time back, but posing a question, are these folks totally confident he wasn't present for the practice sessions when many of these were taken?

Attwood used a white helmet as shown in this scan from Motorman.

Name:  img230 (2).jpg
Views: 1297
Size:  91.7 KB

Name:  attwood wigram 66.jpeg
Views: 1209
Size:  6.8 KB
    And this from the Wigram grid that year; again the white/dark stripe helmet. Note his race # this time - 1, and. So this ties in nicely with the NZGP meeting photo in front of the racecourse tote windows, of the #1 car.
    Rhys - Not disputing the venue, nor saying he wasn't there at Puk, as he ran the rest of the NZ legs (but none in Oz), but there's no mention of him practising officially, though of course he could have been out testing in the #1 numbered car, as his Levin (1st) & Wigram (2nd) results show he had his act pretty well sorted down under.
    So, was there three cars (#'s 1, 2 & 6 brought down under that series, or only two (with race-specific number changes)? Certainly I only ever saw 2 cars at Shell Wavell Heights in Brisbane for Lakeside, and most other sources say there was only the two, as does Milan above. Doug Nye's book may provide the answer to that one.

Rhys/Steve,
    Forgot to mention how much I'm enjoying these photos, and Steve's period-evocative "scrapbook" presentation of them - very apt!
    The other interesting thing I've noticed in the closer-up shots of the Tasman cars that the the driver's name rectangular sticker in large upper case black-on-white on the flanks doesn't appear on any of them (including Levin); it was only when I dug up the photo of Attwood at Wigram I posted that one appeared.
    Looking at the Australian rounds, the practice had, by then, caught on universally. Does anyone here know if this was a relaxation of a previous rule, or was it just a good idea that spread very quickly?

OK. This is the definitive story from Doug Nye's BRM Vol 3.

Three cars came to NZ in 1966. Two centre-exhaust models 2616 for Hill and 2617 for Stewart. A side-exhaust model 2614 was a spare.

Stewart's car was delayed due to shipping problems so he used 2614 fitted with the windscreen, steering wheel, seat and pedals retrieved from the ship-bound 2617.

At Levin Stewart used 2617 and Attwood was in 2614.

Stewart decided to try Attwood's 2614 at Wigram and liked it so much he used it in the race. Attwood raced 2617.

At Teretonga both used the cars they raced at Wigram.

Stewart was number 6 at every meeting and Hill at the GP and Attwood at the other events carried number 2.

Thanks, Milan - that's cleared it up nicely.
    Was interested in Doug's info re Attwood carrying #2 and how that tied with Attwood #1 car on the Wigram grid photo I posted, but a closer look revealed that the pic is from 1967, as Clark's Lotus is using the stretched Climax V8.

Here are a few more recent ones, just to mess things a bit. Whoops, all my files are too big, and I'm too busy to resize.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Name:  IMG_3047.JPG
Views: 947
Size:  109.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3048.JPG
Views: 957
Size:  111.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3049.JPG
Views: 925
Size:  114.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3050.JPG
Views: 949
Size:  107.0 KB
    Tony Gilbertson Mini sprint behind the Custaxie ..

Was at that meeting NZIGP 1967 but my shots were never that good..

Thanks for that comment Roger! That was not much more than a box Brownie, some russian version of a reflex thing. I was still in short pants

World Champion
    Rhys, I am just wondering whether, the #2 BRM in the pits was 67 as well, hence, Jimmy's leading you to, at a glance incorrectly label the Hill BRM #2 as Jimmy's.
    67 Attwood was #1 and Stewart #2.

Sean, I "think" I put this together as time went on. If you look at post #1 it is the same photo as post #30. As Steve has the book and is doing the posting, I now wonder if they are not being posted as they appear in the book, but until I get it back I hesitate to be too definite.
    You say Jimmy's BRM, I am pretty sure he was in a Lotus, as I carried some front wheels from the paddock to the pits on practice day for him.

Hi Rhys, yes this is how I'm posting them, just as they appear in your album.

Rhy's, give me a call and we will organize a little sit down and get these scanned for you for future keeping.

cheers
    Grimme

Rhs Nolan photos -

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Rhy's, give me a call and we will organize a little sit down and get these scanned for you for future keeping.

cheers
    Grimme
    Grimme, what a great offer, Rhy's have played around with the Mistral pic, there has been a piece on NZ Classiic cars and wreck forum about the Mistral. Produced in Dunedin by Emslie and Flockton, in the late 1950's.. now must find the Advert

here is my copped version of your picture;

Name:  Mistral Hillclimb Rhys Nolan pic 14092016 IMG_3037 (2) v2,.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  95.5 KB

Where was the Hillclimb, a great view for those spectators ??