Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Photos: The Allan Porter Collection - Part 2

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Norris Miles raced in this car in same blue with AC Gill Menswear sponsorship. Brian Bowater bought a Falcon GT ( to HO specs and maybe better ) off Ross Tebbs. Believe this was the car he had his unfortunate accident in. I think the top car is a different car to the curcuit one. He did run the curcuit (ex Goss) a few times but it was not really changed much.
    He did run the Goss car at Meremere a few times but it was definitely not the one in the photo with the lake pipes.

Thanks Tony, thats interesting. There has been some discussion Brian Bowater had a couple of XY Falcons and that this might be the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Stokes View Post
    The Bill Ward C-Cab now owned by Doug Bell of The Hot Rod Show

Now owned by Nick Boblea

Eye in the sky weather reporter the late Bill Mudgeway on announcing duty

Tony Kidd in the bucket

Body is in North Shore Rod & Custom Club rooms

Now owned by Bryan Kilsby

Owned now by Chris Piaggi and Malcolm Turner
    Thanks Greg, this is great info.

Regarding the '56 Chevy now owned by Nick Boblea, is this the car that was later painted brown/gold and fitted with spoke chrome wheels?

Also, the Tony Ward coupe, by chance does it still look like this?

This was my first race car back in 1974, brought it with a 4 cylinder Victor engine then ran a 179 X2 Holden engine, it ran a 12 second 1/4 mile which isn't that fast but it was only a bit over 4 seconds slower than the National record at the time which makes it a 12 second pass sound better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dias View Post
    This was my first race car back in 1974, brought it with a 4 cylinder Victor engine then ran a 179 X2 Holden engine, it ran a 12 second 1/4 mile which isn't that fast but it was only a bit over 4 seconds slower than the National record at the time which makes it a 12 second pass sound better.
    Thanks Mike, do you have a photo?

Wow. Here I am enjoying these great photos and, lo and behold, I stumble across one of my own car (post #55).

As noted, it is currently being reassembled after a bare metal restoration.

I bought this car from Walsh Motors in 1979. It was first registered in Nelson in 1973.

I ran it at a couple of street meets at Meremere back in the 80s. Best run was 14.0 at 101.2.

I just wanted to say thanks to the original poster of these great photo threads. I was at the inaugural Meremere meeting as a 15 year old and attended a number of drag meetings thereafter. These photos bring back some great memories!
    Last edited by Humai; 02-27-2017 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Neat little rail of Phil Hirst. I'm not sure if its Fiat powered. Perhaps one of our Fiat anoraks might know?

Attachment 38167
    Yup it's a Fiat. IIRC, it was a 1608cc engine originally fitted to a Fiat 125. It was mated to a VW transaxle. It had twin side draft Webers or Dellortos and hot cams and was producing about 160hp. I recall that it ran 11.35 on the quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Humai View Post
    Yup it's a Fiat. IIRC, it was a 1608cc engine originally fitted to a Fiat 125. It was mated to a VW transaxle. It had twin side draft Webers or Dellortos and hot cams and was producing about 160hp. I recall that it ran 11.35 on the quarter.
    Thats awesome info. Thanks heaps.