Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ray Archibald's XK120 and MK2 Jaguars

Ray Archibald's XK120 and MK2 Jaguars

I live in the UK and have recently acquired Ray Archibald's Jaguar XK120, the 1954 New Zealand Grand Prix car, and his Jaguar MK2 in which he won the 1962 and 1963 Saloon Car Championship. My intention is to preserve the MK2 exactly as it is (a wonderful time-warp) using it as a road car, but the XK120 will be fully restored and used for historic racing. I am trying to piece together and document the history of both cars, and would be grateful for any old photographs, videos or memories people have of Ray Archibald racing these two cars. There are pictures, particularly of the MK2, in various threads on this website, but I'm guessing there are a lot more out there. All help greatly appreciated.

Hi, I don't know if these are of any interest. Taken at Wigram in 1980 at Country Gents race meeting.

Name:  Archibald-Jag (Custom).jpg
Views: 2824
Size:  106.4 KB

Name:  Archibald-Mk2-1980 (Custom).jpg
Views: 2800
Size:  110.7 KB

Name:  Jaguar-2-Wigram-1980 (Custom).jpg
Views: 2940
Size:  133.1 KB

World Champion
    JC1,
    You will find this article is very good by Eoin Young if you can locate it.
    "Following Ray Archibald's death in August 2010, Eoin Young writing in the New Zealand magazine Classic Driver published a full history of both the XK120 and its driver under the title 'Gentleman Jaguar Racer' (October/November 2010 edition."

All the best,
    Ken Hyndman

These are great - many thanks. John

Thanks Ken - I have got it. I haven't managed to find any pictures of Ray in the 1954 NZGP yet; any idea where I might find some? John

Videos

Quote Originally Posted by JC1 View Post
    I live in the UK and have recently acquired Ray Archibald's Jaguar XK120, the 1954 New Zealand Grand Prix car, and his Jaguar MK2 in which he won the 1962 and 1963 Saloon Car Championship. My intention is to preserve the MK2 exactly as it is (a wonderful time-warp) using it as a road car, but the XK120 will be fully restored and used for historic racing. I am trying to piece together and document the history of both cars, and would be grateful for any old photographs, videos or memories people have of Ray Archibald racing these two cars. There are pictures, particularly of the MK2, in various threads on this website, but I'm guessing there are a lot more out there. All help greatly appreciated.
    Hello Weekend Warrior, we have some video of Ray racing the Mk 2 in .his later years. Dad had a early video camera he raced a few cars. Then i went on from this to work as a video cameraman for 30 years. I also run a facebook page called Historic sports car racing New Zealand. This is my email stuart.short@hotmail.co.nz. Over the next few weeks i see what i can get together for you

Hi JC1. I can help with info, history, photos etc of the XK120 as I've owned it twice. PM me please, rwhitehouse@mac.com

Weekend Warrior
    The Archibald Mk2 On the Grid at the Ardmore -Ohakea Reunion at Pukekoe 1982-83. A seen, to the jags Left ,The very rapid Singer Gazelle of Dave Craw is still in a Race trim, but often daily Driven, private collection . Name:  12049268_1648404255448899_7994287391686299524_ 1983, Ardmore reunion, dave short , Ray Archbald,.jpg
Views: 2529
Size:  84.0 KB
    Last edited by Rascal; 11-09-2016 at 05:37 AM.

Awesome thread. I'm really enjoying this.

I am the chap who supplied the photocopy of the spec sheet for the Archibald MK2, just to let you know I found the original sheets from whence the copy came as supplied by Jaguar. Steve.

A photo or two on the sprague family photos , good ones of Ray,s Jag

Yes, as posted on my pics thread.
    Name:  183_0306_611a Jaguar.JPG
Views: 2348
Size:  90.3 KB
    Last edited by ERC; 05-14-2017 at 04:18 AM.

one car most people are not talking about Rays mk1 jaguar was 3.4 on wires, disc brakes,special seats steering wheel etc . i owned the car it purchased from A.Dick, I sold the car onto Ray Larsen who i think still owns it, "A special Car"
    Kind regards,
    Gwyn

Name:  Ernie sprague jag.jpg
Views: 1837
Size:  17.9 KB Sorry not a good photo Rays 3.8 & Ernie's 3.8 Ruapuna production race

Name:  ernie racing a jag.jpg
Views: 1960
Size:  122.6 KBAnother of Rays Jag Ruapuna

Quote Originally Posted by JC1 View Post
    Hello JC1,

I once owned your XK120 660864 in Auckland, NZ, in the mid-'70s, and would gladly pass on my memories of my time with it.
    I also live in the UK, and currently once again own an XK120 OTS.
    It would be great to see the old girl again sometime!

Best,
    Chris, Twickenham

Is the XK120 the one that the late Bryan Wyness bought?

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Is the XK120 the one that the late Bryan Wyness bought?
    Yes - #660864, 1951 car. I hadn't realized that Bryan had died - sad to hear that. We once spoke on the phone when I was over in NZ but didn't manage to arrange a meeting due to his having the flu or something at the time.

Hi Chris ,

Did you buy it from Ron Eaton? I was very keen on the car when I first saw it out the back of his yard, but my obsession with Cadillacs and hot rods got the better of me. It was $1200.00 if I recall and that would have made it the 5th car I had on tick . British were cars my parents drove!

Hi Rob,
    long time no speak. Who did you buy it from first?