Thread: Geoghegans Sporty Cars

Geoghegans Sporty Cars

Not sure of the date, but on one of my trips to Sydney in the late-sixties I was taken out to see Geoghegan's car sales premises.

It was not a common sight to see a Lotus on New Zealand roads at that time, so to see them lined up like this was mind-blowing.

Name:  img459.jpg
Views: 1892
Size:  140.8 KB

Name:  img454.jpg
Views: 1894
Size:  135.1 KB

Name:  img460.jpg
Views: 1864
Size:  141.7 KB

Name:  img461.jpg
Views: 1882
Size:  112.1 KB

Name:  img462.jpg
Views: 1859
Size:  106.5 KB
    Last edited by Milan Fistonic; 12-10-2016 at 08:52 AM.

Wow Milan, these are absolutely amazing! I really, really love old 1960s car dealer photos. These are simply epic. And the racing car on the roof is just so typical of the era.

Thanks for posting.

Ah man,not fair to see photos like that,what a line up !! I want to go back in time !!
    Last edited by Ross Hollings; 12-04-2016 at 06:58 AM.

I well recall the day I went there and test drove a Lotus Europa...

"Don't b-b-b-bend it!" said Pete as I got in to drive away.

He knew full well I wasn't a likely buyer, too, but I guess it was good PR.

And I wonder about the 39 in its last Repco V8-powered guise painted in Team Lotus colours...

See Mk1 Cortina at far end of line, that's the one to have in the garage, and red Mustang in other photo. What an impressive line up.

What a beaut, love this .Reminds me of when living opposite chequered flag or sports car world in Chiswick High road London .. I do have some photos some where , the cars seemed so new at the time ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post

And I wonder about the 39 in its last Repco V8-powered guise painted in Team Lotus colours...
    I believe this was when Geoghegans were desperately trying to see the 39 so they painted it this scheme to depict its Team Lotus heritage to potential buyers. See this photo:

http://www.oldracephotos.com/shop/pr...0035_F_LGeo_70

It was giving a demo run at the Nov 70 Warwick Farm meeting, which was the AGP meeting. Note no number on car. There is no mention in the program of this demo.

Geoghegan last used the 39 in anger in the 70 Tasman Series. Not long after his Lotus 59 with Waggott engine arrived. So 39 was redundant.

He gave Vee ace Bernie Haehnle a test run in a wet Amaroo meeting in May 70 with this result:

http://www.oldracephotos.com/shop/pr...9980_F_Lo39_70

When car repaired it was painted in Team Lotus colours.

So despite Milan stating in post #1 that the photos taken in late 60's, this photo of the 39 must have been taken late 1970 at earliest.

The Europas shown have the 2 pane door glass making them S2. production 1968 onwards, and those with the secondary indicator nacelle lamps show that these would be 1969
    As there are no black ones there-JPS commorative-, this is before 1972,-wikkipedia.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 12-10-2016 at 06:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    The Europas shown have the 2 pane door glass making them S2. production 1968 onwards, and those with the secondary indicator nacelle lamps show that these would be 1969
    As there are no black ones there-JPS commorative-, this is before 1972,-wikkipedia.
    Imported CKD and assembled here Renault motors and gearboxes

For those not familiar with the Geoghegan brothers this video may enlighten:

Terry S- Excellent video , thanks very much for posting.
    BTW whose was the blue Mini that flipped right in front of the camera?