Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Kenny Smith Scrapbook

The Kenny Smith Scrapbook

Kenny Smith book just out will be a great Xmas read.
    Well written and excellent selection of photographs.
    Last edited by BMCBOY; 12-07-2016 at 11:16 PM.

Available from Whitcoulls and all the other standard book shops, or special order?

Quote Originally Posted by JAFA View Post
    Available from Whitcoulls and all the other standard book shops, or special order?
    The book is to be officially launched next week and will be available from Paperplus.

I was lucky enough to get a copy early as I supplied some of the photos.

I'm not so sure how well written it is but I do know it will be available in Paper Plus and Whitcoulls.

If anyone is interested, the author and the subject will be on Radio Sport on Monday from 6 to 7pm talking about it, the Festival and other stuff.

Got my copy yesterday, along with the December NZ Classic Car, Xmas presents to myself.. good reading when I return to Australia- am saving the book read until then, thanks Michael Clark

What a brilliant record of all those years of a true legend of motor sport and NZ sport. Loved the school report and would ask what those who made those comments achieved in their lives. Well done Kenny. A recommend from me. John Hatton

Appreciate your comments John.

Kenny was insistent he wanted that school report in the book - we then concluded that the perfect photo to put opposite it is the one that appears after it.

I am pleased to report that sales seem to be going pretty well.

I have received PMs from overseas members of TRS - somehow I have managed to delete them. I know one was from Grant Ellwood so could I ask that you PM me again and I'll try not to stuff it up next time.

Thanks Michael, I have PM'd you.

Journeyman Racer
    Congratulations Michael on a really good book written about a real legend of NZ motorsport. Great pictures, loved the school report, bought back many memories of cars and races I had forgotten.
    Get your copy now, we have sold out and have a waiting list.
    Congratulations also to Kenny on his input and enthusiasm, a good read.

Richard

Look forward to spending my PaperPlus Christmas voucher on this.

Hopefully, will get it autographed in January Michael! Will add to the shelf of autographed copies of several other books, from Jackie Stewart, Graham Hill, Stirling Moss, Howden Ganley, Martin Brundle, Nigel Mansell etc!

PS: Local Paperplus didn't have it...
    Last edited by ERC; 12-31-2016 at 06:18 AM.

Richard, thank you for your comments. That means a lot coming from a 'book person' such as you!

It's a cracker. Got it for my birthday.
    Just shows what one can do when one's mind is determined. Will be getting both Kenny's and your autograph on mine

World Champion
    Michael,
    Best of luck with the book sales. I hope to purchase it one day as Ken has to be one of the most popular and resilient drivers ever.
    Thank you for publishing his story.
    I remember he stated that one of the highlights of his career was the winning of the NZGP at Pukekohe in January 1976.

Here is a pathetic photo I took as he left the Hairpin on one of the last laps. I was behind ALL that safety fencing !
    ( Hate to imagine if a formula car had gone into that fencing of posts and wire rope. It would have been better going into the post as that bottom rope would have been worse than going under Armco barriers...oh well it all worked out in the end. )

Name:  1976 NZGP. Ken Smith. Final laps.# 1jpg.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  66.2 KB

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 01-06-2017 at 10:46 PM.

Ken, not 'one of the highlights' - 'the' highlight.

The other car is the Katipo of Robbie Booth - I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest Kenny is the one doing the overtaking...

As soon as I can speak to the publisher, I will find out for you, Grant and various others in America how we go about shipping them.

Best wishes

MC

Managed to get a copy from Paper Plus after all. Signed by Kenny, so just need to catch Michael for his signature. Have only read part of it so far and yes, well worth purchasing. Congratulations on collating so much stuff Michael. Obviously a lot of effort has gone into it.

The collapsed wing on Kenny's F5000 at Pukekohe going into the first corner at Pukekohe yesterday brought back memories of the dark side of the 'good old days'. Thank goodness that with the likes of HANS and circuit upgrades, Kenny walked away.

Adam Jones was at the track filming for his doco on Kenny. Yup, good that he was able to walk away but it made a bit of a mess of the car(s).

Some pics of Ken at the 2018 Taupo Historic GP. I was so very lucky to meet Ken
    He is a great guy
    Name:  IMG_1133.JPG
Views: 599
Size:  176.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1129.JPG
Views: 538
Size:  179.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1134.JPG
Views: 608
Size:  178.4 KB
    Last edited by Paul B; 02-11-2018 at 09:11 PM.