Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lotus 22 47 Ex Roly Levis

Quote Originally Posted by Serge View Post
    Name:  Dijon Motors Cup 2016 Low res.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  68.9 KB
    Looking good Serge, just read the history in the latest NZ Classic Car magazine, with research by Michael Clark.. have passed he magazine onto my Uncle Eddie Dowding, one of the founding members of Northern Sports Car Club,in Auckland New Zealand, He used to go to Ardmore in the 1950's to watch the NZ Grand Prix .. Eddie turned 97 last October ..

I ended up doing the research primarily because the owner before Serge is a good friend and he asked me to see if some of my records, combined with an interview I had done with Roly a few years earlier, might assist.

It was a massively time consuming exercise with no end of blind alleys, red herrings and frustrations - but interesting all the same.

The Lucienbonnet 'cul de sac' soaked up some time, as did an Irish twist that also ended up going no where. I was certainly not working alone and Roger H, a researcher par excellance, had also been beavering away as well.

Thank you Michael and Roger for your posts. Now we are sure of the history of 22/47 before the period of Roly Levis. The Motorman magazine and the book of Jonathan Williams gave us the informations.

Jonathan Williams is deceased 31 August 2014.

Great and I thank RogerH to have send me photos of John Wilson in 1966. My archive file is being more complete thanks to you.

Hello Serge - the real shame of it was that by the time I got involved, Jonathan Williams had passed away. Had I got involved a little earlier, I would have had not one but two points of contact with him - one being John Julian who wrote the superb 'A year of living dangerously', and the other being a friend of mine who had worked at Ferrari with JW.

To be pedantic - the period (Jonathan Williams) livery of the car was as in the current photos but without the centre red stripe and with pale blue wheel centres. The centre red stripe subsequently appeared with Williams' Lotus 22 F3 car.

Exactly - the 22 FJ has been painted as per JW's '22/31' F3.

Roly told me how emotional it was seeing it unloaded at Auckland wharf a mere 53 and a bit years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Serge View Post
    You will find current photos as asked by Steve ATTACH=CONFIG]39796[/ATTACH]Attachment 39795Attachment 39797
    Thank you Serge. Outstanding!

Quote Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
    To be pedantic - the period (Jonathan Williams) livery of the car was as in the current photos but without the centre red stripe and with pale blue wheel centres. The centre red stripe subsequently appeared with Williams' Lotus 22 F3 car.
    You're right Roger and I modified the livery last week mainly on the bodywork. I will see on the next year for the wheels.

Name:  Lotus 22:47 December 2016.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  139.1 KBName:  Lotus 22:47 december 2016 4.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  134.8 KBName:  Lotus 22:47 Decmber 2016 1.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  100.5 KBName:  Lotus 22:47 Decmber 2016 2.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  106.3 KB

Noel sent me the Classic Car magazine and I thank you very much for the great article on this Lotus 22/47.

It's the first time I read an article on the history of my cars without any mistake ! That's perfect and congratulations !

A new picture at Dijon 2016 during a braking.Name:  Dijon Oct 2016.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  98.2 KB