Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Damon Hill

World Champion

Damon Hill

When Nico Rosberg recently became the 2016 Formula One world champion it was the second time that a father and son combination had both been F 1 World Champions. Nico and Keke Rosberg were preceded by Graham and Damon Hill.
    I remember growing up and seeing the photos of young Damon with his father and was envious of what a wonderful life that would be and how easy it would be for him to get into motor racing but due to a terrible tragedy it was not that way at all.
    Name:  damon_hill_with_graham_hill_and_friends__1961__-d5dshaf.jpg
Views: 1658
Size:  167.6 KB
    In this great 1961 photo it shows Damon entertaining Bruce McLaren, Stirling Moss, Tony Brooks, Graham Hill, Jo Bonnier and Wolfgang Von Trips ( shortly before he died at Monza that year)

Later in 1967 here is Damon steering his dad's Team Lotus type 33 along pit lane. (The envy of every young lad !)

Name:  Damon Hill.jpg
Views: 1228
Size:  125.4 KB

(Ken Hyndman)
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 12-16-2016 at 12:35 AM.

Great thread Ken. I've always liked Damon, and even now really enjoy his views on the sport and life in general.

Damon's new book 'Watching the Wheels' is a ripper

World Champion
    Whoops.
    Perhaps I should hold off as I do not want to spoil or interfere with what's in the new book..

Michael,
    Did you read this book about Damon ?
    Name:  Damon Hill story.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  119.7 KB

Ken
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 12-16-2016 at 09:05 AM.

No Ken - when did it come out?

Looking at the first photograph, reminds me of 1961, when we schoolboys all had plain khaki, ex-army surplus haversacks (forerunners to today's back packs). It was customary to decorate them. I decorated mine with 'Tony Brooks - BRM' as a long time fan - then two weeks later, he retired...

I then switched my allegiance to Graham Hill and years later, named my only son Stewart Graham, after Jackie and Graham of course.

Loved the humour of Graham Hill (as did many Brits) and was a supporter of Damon when he started in cars. I have a framed, signed, action photograph of Damon on the wall leading into my office and a large framed Michael Turner limited edition print of Graham at the 1962 German GP, in the lounge, alongside the print of Gonzales in the V16 BRM, exiting the Goodwood chicane.

Golden years the early 1960's, when I devoured every word written about F1.
    Last edited by ERC; 12-16-2016 at 08:36 PM.

Completely off topic, I met a guy in a pub once whose name was Stewart Clark McLaren. I assumed he was interested in motor racing - "No I'm not particularly - but my father is..."

Ray - were you aware CASB came to NZ a few yeas ago?

World Champion
    Michael,
    That book came out in 1994 and later with a
    2nd Edition.
    Name:  Damon.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  28.8 KB

This is a quick synopsis.
    "Starting with his childhood, as the only son of double World Champion Graham Hill, this book charts the racing career of Damon Hill right through to the dramatic 1994 season. It fully examines the controversies and rancour that dogged the Hill-Schumacher battle for the 1994 World Championship, up to the final race in Adelaide, and chronicles the events of 1994, including Ayrton Senna's tragic death, and how Hill was thrown into the premier driver role in only his second full season in Formula 1. The author follows Hill's racing career, from starting on motorcycles in 1979, via FF1600 and then Formula 3000 programmes, to working as the Williams test driver in 1993 when he was promoted after Nigel Mansell's defection to IndyCar. It analyzes Hill's personality, and how coping as a teenager with his father's sudden death, and more recently with the birth of his Downs Syndrome son, helped shape his down-to-earth approach to life. "

(Ken H)

Thanks Ken - I now realise why I don't have it...

If I have a biography or autobiography about a driver done before their career is over, it is generally because it has been given to me. I generally don't like incomplete stories.

Having said that, I've just written one...the last chapter of my Ken Smith book is simply called 'To be Continued' - on the basis that despite being 75, he ain't done yet!

World Champion
    Michael,
    Thanks so much for all you have done for NZ motor racing. Ken Smith may well outlast all of us !
    I have to add your book to my " Required Reading" list.

BTW. What was the event that you were at in Hamilton with all the other great NZ drivers etc and Damon Hill was there also, a few years ago ?

(Ken )

damon hill at levels

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Michael,
    Thanks so much for all you have done for NZ motor racing. Ken Smith may well outlast all of us !
    I have to add your book to my " Required Reading" list.

BTW. What was the event that you were at in Hamilton with all the other great NZ drivers etc and Damon Hill was there also, a few years ago ?

(Ken )
    I was lucky enough to meet damon at levels, I think 2011/12 season, he was out here running his boy josh in the trs.enquired about his first ever wings and slicks car, the argo, which is owned by steve donaldson from chch, had a good chat with him.

World Champion
    I have not had the pleasure to meet Damon but I did meet his dad at the first Long Beach race, late September 1975.
    He was there to watch his promising protégé, Tony Brise show his great skills at the Inaugural LBGP in a Theodore Racing Lola F5000.
    Tony's only problem that weekend was the failure of drive shafts on the demanding street circuit.
    This photo shows Graham Hill studying the first driveshaft that broke in the first practice session. Tony Brise is looking on along with his wife Janet and race mechanic,Julian Randles is on the right.
    Only the broken driveshaft was replaced and it was the other one that broke during the race while Tony was leading comfortably.
    If only both could have been replaced at the time who knows what the final result would have been.
    I was just a 'gofer' thanks to Graham Donaldson for letting me in but later on Sunday after the racing we had loaded the Lola onto the open transporter (Loaned by Lothar Motschenbacher ) and started to make our way away from the circuit. I had leapt onto the back to hold the car and suddenly Graham Hill had joined me and treated me like I knew what I was doing and chatted away about "That Tony is bloody great isn't he ?". He was so full of enthusiasm after what had been a hard year and the future was so promising. I was so thrilled that Graham Hill was just talking to me.
    It came as a great shock when my father in-law called me just two months later, November 1975 to inform me that Graham Hill's plane had crashed but there was uncertainty about who else was on board the flight. It was even a greater shock that Tony was also among the victims but relieved that my friend, Graham Donaldson had stayed in London.
    Poor Damon was just 15 at the time.

Name:  Long Beach. September. 1975.jpg
Views: 1268
Size:  105.4 KB
    L to R
    Tony Brise, Janet Brise, Graham Hill and Julian Randles. Sept. 27th 1975. Long Beach.

(Ken Hyndman photo )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 12-21-2016 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    I have not had the pleasure to meet Damon but I did meet his dad at the first Long Beach race, late September 1975.
    He was there to watch his promising protégé, Tony Brise show his great skills at the Inaugural LBGP in a Theodore Racing Lola F5000.
    Tony's only problem that weekend was the failure of drive shafts on the demanding street circuit.
    This photo shows Graham Hill studying the first driveshaft that broke in the first practice session. Tony Brise is looking on along with his wife Janet and race mechanic,Julian Randles is on the right.
    Only the broken driveshaft was replaced and it was the other one that broke during the race while Tony was leading comfortably.
    If only both could have been replaced at the time who knows what the final result would have been.
    I was just a 'gofer' thanks to Graham Donaldson for letting me in but later on Sunday after the racing we had loaded the Lola onto the open transporter (Loaned by Lothar Motschenbacher ) and started to make our way away from the circuit. I had leapt onto the back to hold the car and suddenly Graham Hill had joined me and treated me like I knew what I was doing and chatted away about "That Tony is bloody great isn't he ?". He was so full of enthusiasm after what had been a hard year and the future was so promising. I was so thrilled that Graham Hill was just talking to me.
    It came as a great shock when my father in-law called me just two months later, November 1975 to inform me that Graham Hill's plane had crashed but there was uncertainty about who else was on board the flight. It was even a greater shock that Tony was also among the victims but relieved that my friend, Graham Donaldson had stayed in London.
    Poor Damon was just 15 at the time.

Name:  Long Beach. September. 1975.jpg
Views: 1268
Size:  105.4 KB
    L to R
    Tony Brise, Janet Brise, Graham Hill and Julian Randles. Sept. 27th 1975. Long Beach.

(Ken Hyndman photo )
    Thank you Ken , I had seen this before but is a really great photo & little story , its interesting how we never forget life time events like this , I was living in queens way London sw1 when they had that plane crash , we were later in a local pub that night & I asked the dj to do a one minute silence for Graham & his team , a sad time ... On a brighter note , you have a great xmas big brother , Grant

World Champion
    Thanks Grant. Merry Christmas to one and all.
    I have to admit I felt I was a curse on F1 champions so I have stayed away from them.
    2 months after I talked to Graham Hill he dies.
    6 weeks after I talk to Denny Hulme at Laguna Seca in August 1992 he dies at Bathurst !
    Should I seek guidance or just get over it ?
    Ken

Damon Hill released a book a few moths ago titled "My Autobiography"

A classic case of tautology.

World Champion
    Damon's parents did not encourage him to enter the world of motor racing as he grew up,but he did enjoy getting out on a motorbike as seen here in a 1975 photo with his dad.
    Name:  Damon with his dad in 1975.jpg
Views: 1107
Size:  62.7 KB
    After Graham's death the Hill family was left in a tough financial situation and Damon started work as a builder's laborer and later as a motor cycle courier to help pay his way through school.
    He started to compete first in motor cycle racing about 1980 and although he showed promise his mother, Bette, wanted him to race on 4 wheels instead of 2.
    Name:  Damon Hill. On 2 wheels. 1980.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  179.7 KB
    Damon Hill competing on a Kawasaki at Donington Park. 1980.

(Ken H)

On a TZ350 @ Clearways.

Name:  Damon Hill TZ350.jpg
Views: 1126
Size:  158.0 KB

Ken , no you do not need guidance .....shit does happen , when we look at Hills plane crash , perhaps he could have calculated a better landing strip or an other day to fly in ? as For Denny he had a not so good ticker way before Bathurst & did not like meds I know one of his best mates very well ....

World Champion
    Damon moved on from bikes to racing Formula Fords and he showed his skills during the 1985 British Formula Ford series driving a "Manadient Racing" Van Diemen and won six races.
    Here is a brief clip showing the exciting FF racing at Brands Hatch and Damon Hill winning a preliminary race at the 1985 Formula Ford Festival.

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 12-22-2016 at 10:00 AM.

World Champion
    Another view of Damon at Brands Hatch with his Formula Ford.
    Name:  Damon Hill. Early drive at Brands Hatch..jpg
Views: 865
Size:  74.3 KB

Damon, like his dad was into his twenties before he raced competitively, both worked as mechanics etc. at Brands Hatch and both had little financial support to begin with but they had heaps of ability.
    Graham would race his own "Speedwell" Austin A35 until Colin Chapman had him drive a Lotus.
    Here is Graham Hill at Silverstone in 1958 in his A35.
    Name:  Silverstone+-+May+1958_RE+873+-+Graham+Hill+-+Speedwell+A+35_jpg_small.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  116.1 KB

(Ken Hyndman )