Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Secret" International Class at Hampton Downs and Taupo

Believe there are a couple more F1 for Taupo
    Classic is what the 'real' motorsport followers love to come along and watch. Real cars, real people.

What a shambles. HD is going to the pack, and it didn't take long. Another Erebus motorsport in the making?? ( spend squllions, to go to from being the best to being a joke overnight ).

When you look on the HD website for their race car test dates, half way through December they're still showing December 2nd as the next ( and only ) one. I emailed them, and said can they update the site, and can they put up test dates for at least the next 3 months, so people can plan their testing around their racing. Not an unreasonable request I thought. I also asked them what the actual charge for additional drivers is, as the info page says $50 and the booking page says $30. They replied "they will try to get a date or 2 up shortly, and it's $50". No "thanks for pointing out that mistake, we'll fix it straight away". It's still showing $50 and $30 today. So guess who can't be bothered with HD's sh*t anymore? I'll go to Pukekohe for testing, it's closer anyway. HD might have the "premier" facility at the momment, but when they turn everyone off with their "we're too good for you" attitude, they won't last long when there's no money coming the door to run the joint. Shame, as I really thought Tony Quinn would do better than that.

The offer of garage space has been accepted, so no longer available.

As I am still assisting ERC with the handicaps, will I be expected to pay for a ticket? (I have no real worries about getting in, as initial purchase of a unit came with free access to all events anyway. I wonder if that will also get the chop?)

We knew we had it good with Tony (R) and Chris at the helm, so have we already had the golden days of HD? Is all the good work done over the previous years, building up a really strong classic sector, going to be unravelled in a matter of a couple of years? All saloon/GT classes had shown good, steady growth, from HMC, Historic Saloons, Alfa, BMW (open and E series), ERC (U2K Cup on the fringe of classic)s etc., and whilst it may appear to be same old, same old, to some, that was inevitable, but at least it was a good solid base with tremendous support and camaraderie, not only within the classes, but between them.

This was not only recognised by the drivers but also by the meeting officials and even most MSNZ Stewards, as almost without exception, there was a feeling of genuine appreciation and respect from both sides as to the strength and the determination to provide good clean racing and high driving standards. Yes, it would be a shame if all that was sacrificed for the sake of a dollar or two here and there and a couldn't care less attitude.

We expect better and quite frankly, deserve better. My support for HD is already starting to fade and it is going to take more than bringing the GT's here once a year to maintain my previous level of support.

Buggar, too late, I needed your spaces Ray, anyone else??

Yes we did have it good with Tony and Chris, they had the PASSION that we have, unfortunately they had the financial burden as well, don’t yar hate that 

Having never been in the position of vast financial wealth as im just a “dirty ol Mechanic” I guess I have to dream a little and pretend what’s it’s like to be in Mr Quinns shoes. He owns the track just like you and I would say our own houses or property, he purchased the Festival event which is run at his track, I guess I’d have to say for him “its my way or the highway” and that I can respect,(imagine if you had a race track in your back yard and everyone wanted to use it) off-course we the competitors have the option as to whether to buy into his way or not, if we don’t like the terms, conditions and cost we can move on. But, I guess with what he has invested and the upper echelons of wealthy people he probably deals with, I’d say without a doubt, we in the classic fraternity are probably looked upon as no money peasants so why would he want to deal with us?(remember im just assuming this but sort of appears that way) he’d want to bring to his facility those race classes and people with more wealth to help subsidize his costs, can’t blame him there and this was effectively what the 101 event was and maybe this is his vision for the Festival? I do see next month’s Festival as a transition between the current way and the unknown.

So with that in mind, I guess for all us “wages financed or retired” type classic racers we have the option to put up, shut up and pay up or move on to more cost effective and person friendly venues, or maybe, just maybe he is the NEW cost and person friendly way of motorsport in todays world? It seems we’re all attending his Festival so let’s see how it goes, it may just be OK but im struggling? Anyway, some of my thoughts. Merry X-Mas and New Year to TRR members.
    Last edited by Kiwiboss; 12-23-2016 at 12:34 AM.

Could just be a short term transition problem, I've been through a couple of difficult company failures up here and usually it needs a "tough love" rescue to keep a losing business ( but with promise) alive. The opposite season aspect should give New Zealand a brilliant opportunity for an historic festival to be a major drawcard for northern hemisphere ( and well heeled) historic racers to vacation and race down-under. I don't know Tony Quinn but having read his book I'm sure he isn't taking over HD just as a prime investment but there has to be a base level to make it stand on its feet. Seems to be a lack of communication preventing a great venue from becoming a major Motorsport venue.

be a shame if it is to turn into a 'rich' boys club as some are pointing too, as the general motorsport person will miss out and so will the track as a whole. in all reality GTs and other exotic class's only have limited following and are foreign to the average person (out of reach) and not many people relate to the cars like a good old classic that they saw heaps of on the roads in yesteryear and still even now. difference between jandels, ragged ole moustache and whiskers and ladies that push wheels around and help out in pits too leather shoes, styled hair and Rolex and lady look at me.
    be great if all can be catered for Gts, Exotics, V8 supercars etc, with the back bone (clubman-2000-ERC-HMC-HSS-Classics) still in the mix for the other weekends, and don't price the 'average guy' out of it. Hope it all gets on even keel and picks up.

Time will tell. Like Dale, I am not holding my breath and I feel for him this Festival. He has put a huge amount of work in over the years promoting HMC and a bloody good job he has done. The Aussie Trans Am coming over is his baby and he does deserve recognition for his efforts. Like John McKechnie with HSS and it was great to see it all come together for John at MG Classic this year.
    We do have a strong backbone in all our groups and if HD do not want us other doors just might open up.

Cheers
    Bruce D

Quote Originally Posted by Spgeti View Post
    Time will tell. Like Dale, I am not holding my breath and I feel for him this Festival. He has put a huge amount of work in over the years promoting HMC and a bloody good job he has done. The Aussie Trans Am coming over is his baby and he does deserve recognition for his efforts. Like John McKechnie with HSS and it was great to see it all come together for John at MG Classic this year.
    We do have a strong backbone in all our groups and if HD do not want us other doors just might open up.

Cheers
    Bruce D
    Yes HMC is a fantastic formula, a tight reign on rule interpretation keeps a lid on costs. Dale has done a great job of ensuring reasonable parity and the competitors in that class are supportive.

Semi-Pro Racer
    So, would I be correct in assuming that the circuit owners are also the promoters and organizers of the meeting as discussed? Over on this side of the ditch most historic race meetings are promoted and organized by a car club that is only interested in historic racing. The circuit in question is leased from the owners of the circuit by the organizing club for the event usually the Saturday and Sunday. Costs are calculated and entry fees worked out on the costs involved.
    Dale.

Thats the norm here too Dale, but not for this particular meeting this time around. The circuit ( Hampton Downs ) has taken over the running and ( lack of ) promotion of the event for 2017. Maybe it was a part of the change of ownership of the track, I don't know.

Tony Quinn made it known earlier in the year that the 'Festival' was one of maybe 4 or 5 'Premier' events to be run at the track per year - meaning that he sees it as a money spinner.

His stance is that these premier events effectively lock out apartment owners other than 4 'free' tickets per unit and all other visitors/guests (to a maximum of 16) have to pay a general entry fee PLUS an extra fee for what he considers a prime viewing spot.

Even if granny is baby sitting and not watching the racing at all, she is going to have to pay. This has not gone down too well with apartment owners, who reluctantly accepted these rather draconian conditions for the 101 meeting, on the basis of giving it a try, and as an expression of support for TQ to get the track moving forwards.

Whether this arrangement is going to get continued support remains to be seen and if that jeopardises the future of high profile events coming to the track is anyone's guess, but at this stage, my guess is that there are challenges ahead, as some of those who gave their support first time around, may not do so again. I must stress, that is my personal guess.

The 101 (GT meeting) obviously is one that will be on the calendar.

January Festival makes it 2. (No plans announced as yet for 2018.)

I think that motorbikes in some form will obviously be another = 3. That is also a given.

Whether the Aussie V8s make it to HD for a 4th is debatable (we have heard for and against).

TQ is keen to try and get the NZ GP to HD so that is a possible 5th.

There may be more than 1 premier bike event and who knows what else is in the offing as we do know that there are Asian based series that have expressed an interest in heading to HD.

Yes, the new HD team may still be finding their feet in term of promotion and also local knowledge, but the Captain steers the ship and sets the course.

World Champion
    Perhaps you could do some of your own promotion with a raffle at $ 10.00 each ticket and put it in every publication possible.
    Winner gets 3 laps with John McKechnie in his wonderfully restored Holden Monaro around Hampton Downs.
    They would also have the opportunity to wander the pit area and possibly meet well known people in jandals, ragged ole mustache and whiskers, fine women and fast cars.
    Plus two entry tickets for the weekend
    I could even provide some of the images at no charge.
    I think it would be a great raffle and great advertising. (I would buy 10 tickets for sure and donate to a worthy charity.)
    Name:  DSCN7902.JPG
Views: 686
Size:  175.1 KB
    ( The poster boy himself )
    Name:  Monaro today. Oct. 2016.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  168.1 KB
    (The mighty Monaro )

Perhaps the icing on the cake would be for the winner to get a round trip helicopter ride from Auckland Airport to the circuit to avoid sitting in race traffic.

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 12-26-2016 at 06:50 AM.

So back to the Festival for a minute, on the Ticketmaster website to buy tickets for the Festival, you can buy a 3 day pass, a Saturday pass, or a Sunday pass. What happens if you can only ( or only want to ) go on the Friday?? Is it free??

Quote Originally Posted by JAFA View Post
    So back to the Festival for a minute, on the Ticketmaster website to buy tickets for the Festival, you can buy a 3 day pass, a Saturday pass, or a Sunday pass. What happens if you can only ( or only want to ) go on the Friday?? Is it free??
    I'm getting "Hammered" by people wanting to know what the hells going on, even calls and E-mails from Aussie? pissing me off, I just tell them to phone Hampton Downs and that its nothing to do with me(which it isn't) but with past involvement I understand why I'm getting calls, already I can't wait for it to be over so we can move on to other more friendly run and informative venues.

Semi-Pro Racer
    The Sat/Sun tickets are $20.00 a day, 3 day pass $69.00. That does not add up as Fri would be $29.00??. Can you pay at the gate with cash? Not that I am ever likely to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
    I can't wait for it to be over so we can move on to other more friendly run and informative venues.
    It's not the venue Dale, it is the promoters/organisers.

Apartment owners have had no communications whatever about this event, so I am presuming the usual 'Resident's Silver Pass' will be honoured. (Part of the deal when the apartments were built was free access to all events.)

Yup, the $69 weekend pass seems a bit odd! The usual support for Friday's is pretty low anyway. I would have expected $50 for the weekend. My usual attendance for major events if I am not directly involved, is the Friday and Saturday only.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    The Sat/Sun tickets are $20.00 a day, 3 day pass $69.00. That does not add up as Fri would be $29.00??. Can you pay at the gate with cash? Not that I am ever likely to go.
    Saturday / Sunday single day tickets are $39 per adult - the $20 single day tickets are the youth ticket. $69 is correct for a 3 day adult pass.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    It's not the venue Dale, it is the promoters/organisers.
    Which this year, is one in the same, and it seems, the whole problem with communication to the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    My usual attendance for major events if I am not directly involved, is the Friday and Saturday only.
    I'm the same Ray, get in early with no crowds, see everything and get out before the great unwashed descend on the event. This year it'll be Friday only if they can give me a ticket price beforehand and I'm still unemployed then, owing to another commitment on Saturday.

I'm the same Ray, get in early with no crowds, see everything and get out before the great unwashed descend on the event. This year it'll be Friday only if they can give me a ticket price beforehand and I'm still unemployed then, owing to another commitment on Saturday.
    I have a trophy replica here for your brother! I'll try and remember to bring it. I should be there Friday.

Andrew, send me a PM and I'll have a ticket for you. Just had an email from HD confirming it is a premium event and therefore apartment owners have to apply for their passes.
    Last edited by ERC; 01-04-2017 at 10:01 PM.