Thread: Beach Racing At Tahunanui Nelson 1960s

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    World Champion
    The problem with beach racing was that the turns got very cut up and some deep ruts formed which you did well to stay way from. Ron Roycroft was always very wary of rutted corners having watch a few close shaves from following other cars....he was usually 2nd or 3rd 'on the road', especially when Big George was in front of him showering him with sand....'.I ducked down to avoid it'. Once the car dug -in you had little hope of saving it, quite unlike a sealed surface. Wally Darrell used to love beach racing, absolutely suited his style of driving, all revs and sideways....no good on the tarmac.....too many 360's. By the way am I right in thinking that the BCM is competing in classic racing today. Would be a nice tribute to Mr Mabey.

World Champion
    I think that is a spelling mistake....should be Darrell....shouldn't it. A big coincidence if there was a Dorrell competing as well. The Tahunanui circuit was just that, a circuit, rather than a sprint up the beach for a mile or three then round a drum and back. Certainly far better from a spectator point of view. Of course all the spectators were safely behind barriers a good distance from the action......yeah right. As one caption says.......'a Morris Minor looses control and the spectators HIKE for safety!!!!!!! I see the Renault Dauphine Corvette is in there too. Got a chance to see the recreation of this machine at Teretonga this year....my God it could go....showed the old Custaxie the way. A VERY accomplished driver, no doubt about that. I had a friend who was a Renault Dauphine enthusiast. His son was demonstrating the 'handling' capabilities of the Renault one day and managed to side-swipe a tree while exiting our property....didn't do the car much good, and I dont think Father was very happy as they had just restored it!!!!! As with all swing axles, decidedly dodgy in the corners. I don't think there is too much Renault suspension in the Corvette powered car.

Weekend Warrior
    Yup ..The BCM -Vauxhall 6 in above image is still running and is owned by Chris Read...He also has the BCM-Consul which I sold to him many years back dismantled and missing few bits...Somewhere I have the build sheet with all the components that went into the origonal build of the car when built with Vauxhall 10 motor...it makes interesting reading seeing what went into a car in those days.

Cheers

Lynds