nelson
    Attached Images Attached Images       

World Champion

more ( sorry if repeated)

more

World Champion

Pete Leversedge K8

Pete's vintage racer was built in New Zealand in 1949 by John Jacobson & Neil Stuart based on “K8” plans, originally US short dirt track cars that later evolved as sprint cars.

Here are some of it's technical details:
    Power: Ford Flathead V8, 286 cubic inch
    Transmission: 3-speed Ford
    Front and rear end: '39 Ford
    Springs: Front '39 Ford; Rear Model T
    Brakes: '39 Ford
    Frame: cut-down Essex
    Steering box: Chrysler 70
    Top speed (recorded): 115 MPH

Between 1949 and 1965, it was raced by John Jacobson & Neil Stuart at the Aranui Speedway and several road-type circuit races; Bill Harris Jr. used it in beach racing and Peter & Alec Rattray in road-races.

Pete has owned No.77 since 1965, racing it in road-type circuits, hill climbs, beach racing and later vintage racing events; he won the New Zealand Beach Racing Championship Race 3 times. While he owned the car, it was also raced by Bob (RW) Stewart, Neil Stuart, Brian Hepburn and John Armstrong on occasions. The car was well known as a ''Ford V8 Special'' in the South Island of New Zealand.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by bry3500 View Post
    nelson
    ....behind the larger photo of Bill Harris,I played 'spot the make' a game I played when I was riding 'Shot Gun',with my Father, ferrying new Singer SM's from Nelson to Christchurch at 30MPH all the way,remember you used to have to 'Run Them In' in those days,I had to name the Manufacturer and Build date along with model ID....

Left to right
    Ford Mk2 Zephyr 1957/58..LIP Vauxhall 1948/52..Chevrolet 1939..Ford Prefect 1948/51..Citroen (with 'gear stick' comming out of the centre of the dash!!)..Ford Anglia 1955/6 (3 bar grill was Anglia/Prefect had mesh with 'Chrome' surround!!)..Chevrolet 1955..Austin A90 Atlantic 1955/6?..Bedford Van 1955/6(with sliding front doors!)...David, how am I going so far,long time since I played this game!!!..................regards thunder427?MJ

Semi-Pro Racer
    ..promised Steve I would tell this story!!

My father took a 'Sales' position with the 'Reid Rubber Tyre Company' in Nelson around 1952,selling tyres to the trade throught out the Malborough/Blenham/Nelson and West Coast,I went to the Tahunanui School, when we lived in Greens st/Tahunanui,we would go and 'Roller Skate' at the 'Rink' at Tahunanui Beach Front,great swim beach,also attended Auckland Point School where I had to walk past 'Nelson Transport' Truck Depo,if you asked with a "Please" you would be given 'large' Ball Race wheels for the 'Billy Karts', then they would pretend to chase you out of the place,you school bag banging away on your back,weighting a 'Ton', full of Bounty

The story....1959/we, the family, had towed a 'New' caravan behind a 'Swish',matching paint scheme,1948 Oldsmobile 'Teardrop' Coupe (read 'Fastback') to stay at the Nelson Camping Ground,see some friends, from our 3 year stay in Nelson and take in the Beach races that included the Scramble Bikes which we also enjoyed ,the Mechanic from my Fathers Car Sales in Ferry Road ChCh, was riding that weekend.

Well, there we were, with our flash new/Modern 'Aluminium clad' caravan with an attachment called an 'Awning',that made double your space, my Mum had decided that we should be visiting, Dad and I had had a notion to watch the Beach race Practise, but Mum ruled, well thats what my Father told me, someone had once compared my mother to Elizabeth Taylor, not quite, but if you get the 'Make-up' thing going,you will understand the comparison,it was a major event,well there she was,my Mum,looking radiant standing in the door way of our 'Flash' van.."Oh!! its rather windy,I'll just pop back inside and use a little 'Hairspray'"...she's gone about 2sec's....Swiiiiiiiish....screams comming from inside..." I've sprayed my Hair with Bloody 'FLYSPRAY'....well that was too much for my Father and I,we just rolled around laughing (In the 'Awning')...she refused to come out till my Father agreed to take her and have her hair re-permed....she had reached up to a small shelf that held two cans ,one Hairspray the other flyspray,felt the same,BUT!!.....well as you guessed, I got to go to the Beach and watch the 'practice'......and I,ve been a supporter/user of 'Mortine' ever since......I Know, I am mean!!, It wasn't really funny and I did have a 'Great' Mum !!!, but hey!!! I did get to the 'Beach!!!!!.............................regards thunder427/MJ
    Last edited by thunder427; 07-23-2011 at 12:24 AM. Reason: spelling!!!

World Champion

more pics

more pics

World Champion

pics

more

World Champion

more pics

pics

World Champion

Peter Leversedge

Skope Classic 2011
    Last edited by bry3500; 09-08-2011 at 11:30 PM.

Weekend Warrior
    Woody, The accident Snow had was on the main straight at Levels, Timaru, it happened right in front of me in the practise. His car a red Cooper ended upside down astride the ditch that ran along side the track. I stoped, jumped out of my car, went to see if he was okay and found him lying in the ditch on his back . A few seconds later the crash crew arrived so I left the scene. I have never seen him since and often wonder what happened to him

bry thanks for contacting Peter on his birthday , getting that great pic,nows he is posting, what a great site

World Champion
    Cheers mate ...just got to get him over to Phillip Island now with ol #77..

World Champion

book

Reprint - Limited edition of 100 - Numbered and signed by author. Arguably, the motor racing on Nelson's Back Beach set the seal on the region as a summer holiday destination in the post second world war era. It was held as a two day meeting every New Year from the last day of 1949 to the New Year of 1977 and the Nelson Car club can take credit for the enthusiasm of so many officials, drivers and spectators. Held on a natural beach race circuit, which was bounded by the large Tahunanui Beach Camping Ground and the beach sandhills, the meeting attracted drivers from up and down the country year after year. Names including Roper, Farland, Tucker, Logan, Shuter, Lupp, father and son Les and Ronnie Moore and many others were nationally noted drivers of their time and all drove with verve and skill on the Tahunanui Beach circuit to the delight of the paying (and non paying) spectators. This publication traces the history of the races staged by the Nelson Car Club during an era when motor racing attracted the largest number of spectators of any sport in New Zealand.STOCK INFORMATIONGeneral FieldsISBN : 9780473039042PUBLISHER : sandhillsIMPRINT : sandhillsPRODUCT TYPE : booksSpecial FieldsBIND : PaperbackAUTHOR : Mike Stephens

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by bry3500 View Post
    Reprint - Limited edition of 100 - Numbered and signed by author. Arguably, the motor racing on Nelson's Back Beach set the seal on the region as a summer holiday destination in the post second world war era. It was held as a two day meeting every New Year from the last day of 1949 to the New Year of 1977 and the Nelson Car club can take credit for the enthusiasm of so many officials, drivers and spectators. Held on a natural beach race circuit, which was bounded by the large Tahunanui Beach Camping Ground and the beach sandhills, the meeting attracted drivers from up and down the country year after year. Names including Roper, Farland, Tucker, Logan, Shuter, Lupp, father and son Les and Ronnie Moore and many others were nationally noted drivers of their time and all drove with verve and skill on the Tahunanui Beach circuit to the delight of the paying (and non paying) spectators. This publication traces the history of the races staged by the Nelson Car Club during an era when motor racing attracted the largest number of spectators of any sport in New Zealand.STOCK INFORMATIONGeneral FieldsISBN : 9780473039042PUBLISHER : sandhillsIMPRINT : sandhillsPRODUCT TYPE : booksSpecial FieldsBIND : PaperbackAUTHOR : Mike Stephens
    ...bry3500; Fantastic!!!,got to have copy,so where do I send my money, an address of a supplier would be sufficent, would love that on my Book shelf, I had many great Christmas/New Year Growing up at Tahunanui, as stated in another thread,went to Tahunanui school,belonged to the local Tahunanui Cub/Scout group,roller skated at the Tahunanui Beach skate 'open-air' rink,lived in Green Sreet Tahunanui when my Father worked for RiedRubber Tyre Company,the house came with the job from memory,spent a real lot of time at the Nelson Aero club,got to ride/fly in some neat 'little' planes,was there when they had an 'Airshow' and a fully polished Mustang 'commissioned' fighter ,did some stunt stuff and as a kid that just blew me away,the pilot then stood the Mustang on its tail and drove straight up ,'Glinting' in the afternoon sun and gone,....Oh!! Well back to normal....when suddenly about ten minutes later,at about twenty feet off the deck .Vroooooooooooooooooooooom!! and gone,of towards Wellington......Magic moments in one's life................regards thunder427/MJ
    Last edited by thunder427; 09-11-2011 at 01:08 PM.

World Champion

Audrey Hutcheon

Audrey Hutcheon

World Champion

John Miller Renault Chev

The Ian Stevens Dauphine Rebuild

Semi-Pro Racer
    I got Mike Stephens book a few years ago and for someone north of the Bombay Hills found it a good read. I wrote to Halsey Logan many years ago about the Fiat 500 he used to run. It later went to John Wells. Halsey replied with full details of its modifications not long before he passed away.Does anyone know what happened to the motor. When I last heard of it it was sitting under a garage bench somewhere in Nelson. That was a few years ago and I never got any closer than that.