Thread: A Dampener On the Festive Season

Semi-Pro Racer

A Dampener On the Festive Season

I hate to put "a dampener" on the festive season.
    A few years ago we lost Max Fisher on Christmas eve. Max was a loyal and likeable friend to those of us who knew him well. He was also a great repository of NZ motor racing history.
    Over the past week we have lost at least three motor racing identities. Jock Freemantle who passed away on December 23rd. Jock was the instigator and dogged force behind the "Hulme" supercar project.
    Bruce Wilson, mechanic for Chris Amon (and later the Ferrari team when they visited on the Tasman Series) left us on December 25th.
    Today I learned of the passing of Doug Lawrence who would have been 101 years old at his next birthday.
    Sorry to be a "kill joy" at this time of the year. I have sat down several times to write this and each time I have deleted it because I do not want to be the bearer of bad news. But I feel it is important that these events be recorded for historical reasons.
    On a brighter note, I wish Steve Holmes and all the TRS contributors who make this site so enjoyable a healthy and happy 2017.

World Champion
    Noel,
    Thank you for sharing this and I know how hard it is especially if you knew them well.
    On a brighter note there is a wonderful article in the December 2016 Motor Sport Magazine regarding the Kiwis (Drivers and mechanics and writers ) who made their way to Europe and proved how valuable they were after beginning their days in New Zealand. The number 8 wire and "can do" attitude would often apply !
    Some may be gone but it is articles like this that makes sure they will not be forgotten.

http://desktop.motorsportmagazine.co...pig_index.html

Name:  1966  Pau F2. Brabham leading Hulme..jpg
Views: 944
Size:  182.2 KB
    1966 Pau Formula 2 with Jack Brabham leading Denis Hulme.(Photo from Motor Sport magazine article)

(This seems to show differently on different computers. I hope you get to read it and also see the end video with Gordon Coppuck and Tyler Alexander.)

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 12-30-2016 at 12:56 AM.

Jock Freemantle was also probably the first person to race a BMW 2002 in NZ,at Teretonga in 1969, before Roger Anderson raced his

Semi-Pro Racer
    Hi Ken,
    I would like to take this opportunity to thank you in particular for your contribution to this Forum. I always enjoy your writings and photos.
    The article you refer to is, in my opinion, the best summary of NZers in motorsport I have ever read. Having been born in Hawkes Bay and living most of my life here, it was good to see mention made of the HB contingent-Steele, Dale and Leo. Perhaps worthy of inclusion would have been Bill Hanna (Havelock North) who was mechanic to Denny Hulme and George Lawton to the UK and Europe when they went there on The Driver To Europe scheme. Though not originally from HB, Alastair Caldwell did spend four years working with Bill at Havelock North Motors. I had the opportunity to spend some time with Alastair recently and he told of his time at Havelock North Motors and how his association (and subsequent disassociation with Bill) led to Alastair going to the UK where he joined McLaren.
    Another Hawkes Bay product (I have it from a reliable source Dewar was born in Wairoa) who was omitted from the article was F1 mechanic Dewar Thomas.
    The article is quite outstanding-thanks for bringing it to our attention Ken.
    Last edited by rf84; 12-30-2016 at 01:11 AM.

World Champion
    Thanks Noel,
    I hardly knew how to use a computer before Steve Holmes encouraged me to "give it a go."
    Now you have trouble shutting me up as I "prattle" on.
    So you can either thank or blame Steve for "letting the cat out of the bag !"
    I just regret that I can not come by for a visit at the moment. Perhaps one day.
    Cheers,
    Ken... Happy New Year.

Ken, hope you have had a Happy Xmas, (news aside) and look forward to catch up in New Year.
    Doug Lawrence was a very nice guy and back in the F5000 and later when I meet him with Pacific days, a real good guy to be around. You can see where the boys got it from.
    RIP Doug and thoughts with family.

I didn't know Jock Fremantle had passed away.

I too enjoy your posts Ken.

We owe Steve a massive debt for setting up TRS, as without it, much of the NZ history wouldn't get an airing. I probably started to take an interest in NZ motorsport way back in 1961 when the new 1.5 litre F1 class started, and as a 15 year old with money from my paper round, I bought and read Motorsport and Motoring News from cover to cover.

When Pukekohe opened and got some international coverage, I never thought for one minute that my first ever race (as opposed to sprints and hillclimbs) would be there!

Many of the characters from those early days are obviously before my time, but at least this forum will keep us up to date and thanks to all contributors who dispense news, opinions, comments and information, even if at times it is a bit sad.

I was at Bruce Wilson's funeral yesterday and caught up with some of the motor racing identities there - Ray Stone, Glenn McIntyre, Andy Buchanan, Bruce Harre et al.

I left with a copy of Gordon Campbell's marvellous book on Bruce Wilson called 'Master Mechanic' - it looks superb and I intend doing a review in my next NZ Classic Car column...but already I would suggest it is an absolute must to own.

Forgot - Kerry Grant was there too

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Ken, hope you have had a Happy Xmas, (news aside) and look forward to catch up in New Year.
    Doug Lawrence was a very nice guy and back in the F5000 and later when I meet him with Pacific days, a real good guy to be around. You can see where the boys got it from.
    RIP Doug and thoughts with family.
    A short article attached on Graeme Lawrence's Lola T332.

Of particular relevance here is the wonderful photo at the very end showing DOUG LAWRENCE helping his son out of the car.

https://primotipo.com/2017/01/10/lawrences-lola/

Thank you Terry I have never seen these before , beaut photos fantastic .... Grant

Semi-Pro Racer
    Mark Bissett has an excellent site in Primotipo.