Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sponsorship in Motor Racing.

World Champion
    John,
    You are so correct.."Little did we know"..I remember cheering when Chris Amon came around at the 1968 NZGP and Jim Clark was not in sight. We were so spoilt then with quality of drivers in the Tasman Series, we just thought they would all be back again.
    I think that was also the last time that Bruce McLaren raced at Pukekohe.
    "Little did we know " indeed.

Ken H

World Champion
    Also in 1972 Lotus now sported a striking paint scheme of black and gold; Imperial Tobacco had introduced a new brand, and decided to increase exposure and provide more funds to Lotus as part of the deal. Lotus was now sponsored by John Player Special cigarettes.
    When I first saw the Lotus 72 D at Brands Hatch in late 1972 I thought it looked better than the photos. It was an awesome looking race car.
    Name:  lotus_72d_cosworth_emerson_fittipaldi.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  83.4 KB

Name:  1973 British GP. Silverstone..jpg
Views: 824
Size:  161.6 KB
    Emerson Fittipaldi waiting to go out and practice for the 1973 British Grand Prix at Silverstone in his John Player Lotus 72 D.
    (Ken Hyndman photo )

World Champion
    Noting Yardley McLaren, including Peter Revson and Teddy Mayer alongside the John Player Special (Lotus was not in the name now, just known as "John Player Specials") reminds me of the tobacco sponsorship they both had.
    Imperial Tobacco had John Player Special cigarettes.
    Yardley was owned by the British American Tobacco which was diversifying from promoting smoking cigarettes to promoting men's cosmetics in the high profile of the world of motor racing and having Peter Revson from the "Revlon" empire as a driver was a bonus also.

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 01-05-2017 at 11:48 PM.

Winfield genuine merchandise from 1971-72

I collected everything in the day. Cigarette advertising was king. Winfield was the last of the three Rothmans brand racing teams after Lexington and Cambridge. All rather obscure brands, when it came down to it. I loved the blue red and gold colouring. This was the exterior tear wrapping from a genuine carton of Winfield cigarettes of day. I didn't smoke them but hunted out pretty much everything that had connects with my disease for motor racing at the time....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Winfield cigarette packet 1972

Hears a wrapper from a original pack of Winfield cigarettes from 1971-72. I used the other side of the packet to decorate a slot car I was running in Winfield colours during 1972.

Rothmans Sports Foundation poster for the 1969 Tasman Series

Original promotional poster for the 1969 Tasman Series. Rothmans were big sponsors in all things motorsport at this time. This poster from my collection provides the details for the Kiwi races in that year.

World Champion
    In the early seventies besides tobacco sponsors in Formula One there were other products such as "Brooke Bond Oxo" tea with the Surtees and Rob Walker teams, STP (Studebaker Tested Products ) and Andy Granatelli with March Engineering, Elf Oil Company owned then by the French government supported Matra and Tyrrell race teams, Brabham had Esso backing, Frank Williams had Italian toy company "Politoys" backing for his team e.t.c.

Graham Hill in Rob Walker's "Brooke Bond Oxo" Lotus 72.
    Name:  1970 Brooke Bond Oxo. Rob Walker.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  49.8 KB

John Surtees in a Team Surtees TS 9 with "Brooke Bond Oxo" support. 1971.
    Name:  1971 Surtees TS 9.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  46.1 KB

( Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 01-07-2017 at 03:23 AM.

With a blue stripe on the helmet, I think that might be John himself at the helm.

World Champion
    GD
    Yes you are correct. I should have done my homework.
    Thanks.
    Ken

World Champion
    In 1976 Surtees obtained sponsorship from the condom company Durex . That was so controversial that it led the BBC to pull out from early season races so as not to offend viewers. It did not want to show driver Alan Jones trying to PROTECT his position etc....!

Name:  1976 Surtees TS 19.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  100.7 KB

In the same vein... or a similar one...

One year late in the seventies 'Belinda's Terrace' sponsored a corner and some races at Phillip Island.

I don't know exactly what 'Belinda's Terrace' is or was, but it involved women.

Interesting enough "Durex" Is or was a brand of sellotape in Australia.........even saw an old tin in Raglan shop this Christmas,with the Durex brand name on it.
    Also forsale on Australian supermarket shelves is " Coon" cheese, love those Aussie ,dont give a Sh.t

"Coon" is a Kraft brand!

Actually, 'Sellotape' (or was it 'Selotape'?) was a brand name too, the description properly being 'adhesive tape'. I don't think either brand exist now as the market's been flooded with cheap Chinese stuff for many years.

MMM probably had something to do with one of them...

World Champion
    Jan. 6th 1968. A fine shot of Jim Clark leading the 1968 NZGP at Pukekohe. (NZ Car magazine photo)
    49 years ago this weekend.

Name:  Jim Clark. NZGP. Jan. 1968..jpg
Views: 649
Size:  80.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Jan. 6th 1968. A fine shot of Jim Clark leading the 1968 NZGP at Pukekohe. (NZ Car magazine photo)
    49 years ago this weekend.

Name:  Jim Clark. NZGP. Jan. 1968..jpg
Views: 649
Size:  80.7 KB
    Wasn't it unusual for a Team Lotus car to run a Shell sticker?

World Champion
    Terry,
    They had a bigger Shell sticker on at the F1 race a week earlier at Kyalami.
    Perhaps they were experimenting with their advertising before Gold Leaf came aboard.
    Name:  clark%20kyalam iShell sticker.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  99.3 KB