Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some photos for John McMechnie

Some photos for John McMechnie

Great finally getting to meet you. Here are some shots your cars competing today.

Name:  IMG_2080.JPG
Views: 1232
Size:  175.1 KB

Name:  IMG_2087.JPG
Views: 1211
Size:  182.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2075.JPG
Views: 1184
Size:  171.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2091.JPG
Views: 1171
Size:  170.0 KB

And some of the Monaro. You've done a fabulous job.

Name:  IMG_2023.JPG
Views: 1157
Size:  156.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2024.JPG
Views: 1176
Size:  174.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2025.JPG
Views: 1137
Size:  172.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2094.JPG
Views: 1141
Size:  168.3 KB

Pity I didn't know you were around Milan! Are you at HD next weekend? If so, would love to catch up, even if only to thank you for your on-going supply of valuable information!

[QUOTE=Milan Fistonic;56922]And some of the Monaro. You've done a fabulous job.

Couldn't agree more. Well done John. Look forward to the day she will be on the track

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Pity I didn't know you were around Milan! Are you at HD next weekend? If so, would love to catch up, even if only to thank you for your on-going supply of valuable information!
    Yes I will be there but haven't decided as yet which day. Was that you with the white whiskers and wearing a pink photographer's jacket?

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    Yes I will be there but haven't decided as yet which day. Was that you with the white whiskers and wearing a pink photographer's jacket?
    That might have been me!!

No whiskers!!! Black ERC hat and pink jacket, yes...

ERC, drop in and catch up with me as well if you can, i got white whiskers as well.
    be good to catch up with you as well Milan, i will be with Willis F5000 and Can Am as well as close by Johns Falcon.

The Monaro looks amazing and is a real credit to John and his commitment to restoring this important car. Most others would have simply walked away from the scale of this project.

The Monaro was on display, and can't yet be driven. However............the motor does run, and John let me start it. And I can tell you it is loud! And very cool. Awesome job John! You really brought that car back from the dead.

World Champion
    Congratulations John,
    The Monaro never looked better, you truly have done an amazing restoration.
    ( I am still on rear spoiler research for you !)

I am impressed with the total quality of all the cars at HD. From the photos you Kiwis have done the best restorations from anywhere in the world. I truly mean that .. just magnificent and more to come this weekend. I envy you. Hope the weather is perfect and the racing is fast and safe.
    Cheers Ken H.

Ken- Jack Nazer raced against Grady in 1970 at the Mercury Series, and Lady Wigram.
    Swore absolutely that the car never looked that good at the time...........

Now for the important stuff...

Who owns the Dodge?

Mossman Family transport

Special thanks to Angus Fogg for doing the period cage to how it was.,
    Also getting the motor set up so it will start with a simple flick of the key.
    With those 4 x 48 IDA Webers, it still starts easier than the FunCargo.
    So many things happening over the Festive season, and he kept his word on having it there and running for all of us to enjoy.

Here is a photo of John and also one of the Barry Algie trophy.

Thanks Mike for these pix showing this magnificent trophy dedicated to our little buddy.
    This new trophy is the Barry Algie Memorial Trophy and will be awarded annually in the Historic Sports Sedan and Invited Allcomers class.
    Taupo- April 7,8 Historic Racing Club meeting is be where it will be given, and I will be giving more details soon.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 01-17-2017 at 08:27 PM.

That's a nice touch with the photo on the trophy. Good photo too!!

Seriously, I can't think of many people with as much enthusiasm and commitment as Mr McKechnie for this great class. It's a credit to his dedication and relentless behind the scenes work by getting other people enthused and back out on the track, and I think we all owe him a lot, for otherwise I'd guess we probably wouldn't be enjoying the great spectical that is Historic Sports Sedans as they are today.

Couldn't agree more JAFA. This class has been needed for a long time and John has worked his butt off to make it a (growing) success.

World Champion
    " Ken- Jack Nazer raced against Grady in 1970 at the Mercury Series, and Lady Wigram.
    Swore absolutely that the car never looked that good at the time........... "

John,
    I totally agree with Ray and JAFA as you are such a valuable person in NZ motorsports. It would not be the same without your presence. You are the "rock"!
    I do remember that the Camaro seemed to get most of the attention and the Monaro was always being "developed" back at Spinner's.
    I did get a reply back from a gentleman who said that "American Racing Equipment" only manufactured and sold wheels.
    Did you get the information from a "A.R.E." sticker ?
    I will keep hunting but I will NOT go to South African junkyards in my searching !

(Ken H )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 01-18-2017 at 01:38 AM.

Ken,
    I have looked at many Firenza CanAms and there is one picture showing American Racing Equipment engraved into the foot that attaches to the boot lid.
    Yep, even shows type of script and size.
    Tell you what - I will find the link , send it to you and to help get through the long hours at work , you can copy it, resize it and post it..........
    In the meantime, heres a good link to a barn find Firenza Can Am, good detail on the wing.-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NZQy3WnYXM
    and-
    http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/his...renza-v8-28942
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 01-18-2017 at 05:21 AM.