Thread: Cyclone Debbie

Cyclone Debbie

This is not a car related thread. I just wanted to check on our members who have been or are getting hammered by Cyclone Debbie, both those in Australia and new zealand.

We have a little one acre lifestyle block in the country and a few years ago the farmer who owns the water race up behind us illegally changed the direction of the race so that when we get heavy rain and it bursts its banks we are directly in its flight path. We made the decision yesterday to evacuate and go stay at the small town nearby and wait it out and we are pretty nervous about returning home to assess the damage.

I just hope none of our other TRS members are or have been affected by Cyclone Debbie.

Jeez Steve, that's not good at all. Best wishes to you and your family and I hope things don't get too bad. I suppose at least if you have to put in an insurance claim for water damage from flooding, you can tell the insurance company about the neighbours illegal activities and the insurance company will hammer him and no doubt the local council will too.

Hope your property is all ok Steve. Not nice thing to go thru.

All ok here in Feilding but the 3 rivers are up and expected to rise.
    Queen Street where I live has not flooded like it did a couple of years ago.

Cheers
    Bruce

Debbie did affect me to a small extent...

Just some rain. I live at the top of the hill, so wind is more of a problem than water.

Roger Dowding is affected, I think. He posted that he's waiting for it all to clear before he jets from Bribie (where they had heaps of rain, over half a metre) to NZ.

What does it mean, Steve, what you said this neighbour has done with the water race? Whatever it is, surely you can get help from the authorities to prevent it happening again?

Hope all is OK with everyone too.

We are pretty safe where we are but just across the road, at the lower end of our Cul-de-Sac, they have sand bags at the top of their drive as the water after heavy rain manages to run down their short, steep, drive and flood the garage. Bad planning by the architect methinks.

Hi Steve,
    Sorry to hear that, I hope you will all come out ok and no damage to your property. Good thing that you evacuated.
    I am sure you will have recourse on the neighbour, most councils have an excavation permit of something like over 400mm needs a permit.
    Wellington has gotten off very lightly... so far
    Cheers

Best wishes to all those on the forum for your families and workshops. From the UK where that much rain is most unlikely so far!

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. We were a lot luckier than many. Only had half our 1 acre section under water, and no damage to our house. We returned home last night after two nights away.

Many have lost their homes, both in Australia and NZ. This has been devastating.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    Debbie did affect me to a small extent...

Just some rain. I live at the top of the hill, so wind is more of a problem than water.

Roger Dowding is affected, I think. He posted that he's waiting for it all to clear before he jets from Bribie (where they had heaps of rain, over half a metre) to NZ.

What does it mean, Steve, what you said this neighbour has done with the water race? Whatever it is, surely you can get help from the authorities to prevent it happening again?

Ray, thanks for the mention, we were OK but where we stayed, with family on Bribie they have water damage, not serious, was fine the day we left, now in Auckland and a nice fine day with sunshine, was in a T shirt and jeans, could have worn shorts.

Hope everyone is OK,cheers Steve and all ..