Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Build Thread: The Roaring Season Firebird

In fact, the Fisher Firebird was actually the Camaro he’d contested the early rounds, which started life as a 1967 model. The team simply changed the sheet-metal, including the nose, hood, and tail-pan, plus they cut sections out of the rear quarters to fit the Firebird flutes. Initially, the car retained its white paint, as it had appeared in Camaro form, but was soon presented in a striking yellow with black scallops running back from the nose, with more scallops coming forward from the tail-pan across the hipline. It was a superb looking car.

Name:  HowardCohenPic.jpg
Views: 1488
Size:  67.1 KB
    Howard Cohen photo of the Gagnon Springs Firebird in original Camaro form, as driven by Francois Favreau at a St. Jovite USAC or F1 support race.

Name:  FisherFirebirdMeadowdaleera.jpg
Views: 1558
Size:  102.9 KB
    Gilles Corbeil photo showing the car in its Trans-Am debut race as a Firebird, at Meadowdale, still wearing its white paint.

Name:  Fisher77front.jpg
Views: 1495
Size:  73.8 KB
    Now with black hood and stripes over the roof and down the rear.

Throughout the remainder of the season, Fisher produced several more strong results, including 4th at St Jovite, 2nd at Continental Divide, and 3rd at Riverside.

Meanwhile, over in the factory Shelby camp, Ford hero Jerry Titus, who’d won the Trans-Am Championship for Mustang in 1967, had become increasingly frustrated with his teams progress. For 1968, Ford developed their famous tunnel-port heads, in a desperate bid to try and bridge the horsepower gap to Chevrolet. The tunnel-port motors proved powerful, but were incredibly unreliable, with engine failures taking place in most races, and even throughout practice and qualifying. Prior to the final round, Carroll Shelby got wind of the fact Titus was planning to depart, and so he fired his number one driver. Titus had watched Fisher scoring top results in his privateer Firebird, and figured a factory backed effort could at least be the equal of the dominant Penske Camaro. After all, they were essentially the same car.

To that end, Titus had Godsall quickly hash together a Firebird for the final race. Again, this car started life as a 1967 Camaro, built by Jon Ward, which was hastily converted to Firebird sheet-metal. And Titus promptly stuck the car on pole. He was leading the race from Donohue when the engine failed on lap 43 or 124. But the potential was clear to see. In that same race, Fisher finished 2nd to Donohue.

Name:  Sutton044.jpg
Views: 1470
Size:  163.4 KB
    Bill Sutton photo from Bryar 1968.

For 1969, Jerry Titus and Terry Godsall formed T/G Racing, and with backing from Pontiac, entered the Trans-Am series as a factory team. In addition, Pontiac set about building a homologation special, with design aspects and parts intended to help the effort. To make clear their intentions, they approached the SCCA and arranged a lucrative deal by which they’d name their homologation special the Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am, for which they’d pay the SCCA $5 for every car that carried the name.

The Trans-Am name remained a hero car throughout the remainder of Pontiacs history, before the company was eventually closed by GM in 2010. Although it took until 1972 before a Pontiac finally won a Trans-Am race, the Trans-Am name in the Pontiac companies line-up of road cars proved extremely successful, eventually becoming a star of the silver screen in movies such as Smokey And The Bandit, Hooper (both starring Burt Reynolds at the pinnacle of his popularity), Knight Rider, and others.

And it all started with that little yellow Firebird raced by the painfully shy, but hugely accomplished Craig Fisher. This is the car I’ll be building a replica of.

Before I go any further, and even though I’m still only in the research and parts buying stage of this project, I already have several people I want to thank for their help and support just to get to this point. The list below are those who’ve played a role in this cars creation very early on, mostly in the research and planning stage. There are other people who I’ll thank in later chapters who have shown amazing generosity with parts supply, and I’ll be mentioning them in due course. There will undoubtedly be more along the way, but I want to start with those who have already had a role to play.

Neil Tolich:

First up is Neil Tolich. I first reached out to Neil for help when I was trying to gather information on understanding the hows and whys of FIA Appendix K rules, and the accompanying Homologation Sheet and HTP. Neil raced the famous Ivan Segedin Fleetwood Motors Mustang in the UK and Europe, and went through the same challenges as me in having to get his head around the rules.

The Mustang, even though it was restored back to its original Segedin guise as raced during the 1965/66 season, didn’t fit the very strict FIA Pre 1966 Group 2 Touring Car rules which are in use throughout the UK and Europe, and Neil had to make several changes made to his car, including have a complete Group 2 motor built in the UK. It was Neil who alerted me to the Homologation Sheet list, and helped me to understand the rules.

Name:  075750x465.jpg
Views: 1326
Size:  106.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Hi Ken, thanks so much for the kind words. And yes, they really are a pretty car, and that one in your picture is especially so!

Its best to be honest with the wife, they always find out sooner or later. I read something recently that made me laugh. It said: "My biggest fear is that when I die my wife sells my race car for what I told her it cost me". Ha ha
    That's very funny.. I thought I was the only one who is guilty of that!!!!
    Steve look forward to seeing your project progress.

World Champion
    I guess some of the original Dennis Simmons modifications have been altered !
    As mentioned in a 2005 motoring magazine " some of the modifications carried out by Dennis Simmons are amusing. "Dennis also lowered the front of the car in an attempt to make it handle, and then raised the wheel arches on inch to disguise this modification (as lowering was banned).
    Interior-wise, the cabin looked totally stock, with original bucket seats, no roll bars, a standard factory dash with strip speedometer and factory steering wheel. Every second seat spring was removed, brackets were binned, and sound deadening removed to lighten the car, but kept the ‘stock’ upholstery which was called for the current rules in 1965 ! "

(Ken H )

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    I guess some of the original Dennis Simmons modifications have been altered !
    As mentioned in a 2005 motoring magazine " some of the modifications carried out by Dennis Simmons are amusing. "Dennis also lowered the front of the car in an attempt to make it handle, and then raised the wheel arches on inch to disguise this modification (as lowering was banned).
    Interior-wise, the cabin looked totally stock, with original bucket seats, no roll bars, a standard factory dash with strip speedometer and factory steering wheel. Every second seat spring was removed, brackets were binned, and sound deadening removed to lighten the car, but kept the ‘stock’ upholstery which was called for the current rules in 1965 ! "

(Ken H )
    Hi Ken, the FIA rules actually allow the interiors to be completely stripped out, only requiring a single seat for the driver, and nothing else. The issues for Neil were the Weber carbs, and Mustang tramp rods, and a few other things. These were both items fitted to the car in period. But that doesn't matter. If they don't fit the rules they can't be used, no matter what the Mustang was fitted with in period.

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    That's very funny.. I thought I was the only one who is guilty of that!!!!
    Steve look forward to seeing your project progress.
    Thanks John, I appreciate that.

Christophe Schwartz:

Christophe was the first European historic racer I reached out to. He is French, but lives in Germany, and is a total Mopar nut. He races a Dodge Charger NASCAR stockcar, a Plymouth Cuda, plus a modern Dodge Viper. The Charger he built for Classic Le Mans, while the Cuda is powered by a big block Hemi. It was because of the Cuda I first contacted Christophe, as I knew he’d based its mechanicals on the Dan Gurney AAR factory Trans-Am Cuda that went to France at the end of the 1970 season, and was eventually fitted with a big block Hemi.

At this stage I was still toying with the idea of taking the Monaro to Europe, and wondered how likely it would be to race an odd-ball car there. Christophe was very helpful, and told me I’d need to provide the FIA with evidence of the racing heritage of the HQ Monaro model in Australia, including period photos and magazine articles.

It was during my conversations with Christophe I began to appreciate just how important it was to work closely with the FIA on attempting to race a car that is an unknown to them, and that attempting to do so from the other side of the world was going to be an incredibly difficult process that would likely not have the outcome I’d hoped for.

It was thanks to all this I finally decided to drop the Monaro idea, and go with the Firebird instead. It’s a decision I’m really happy I made.

Check out Christophe's fascinating blogs here:

http://www.hemicuda-france.com/
    http://www.olympia-charger.com/

Name:  6a00d83451eb1c69e201bb08a9f1e6970d-600wi.jpg
Views: 1298
Size:  66.2 KB

Eric Broutin:

Eric is another French historic racer, and has been amazing to me. I’m certain I couldn’t have taken on this project if not for Eric, and he has happily answered all my stupid questions. And there have been many.

Eric races a 1967 Camaro in European historic events, which was an SCCA A/Sedan car when it was new. It never contested the Trans-Am series, but was built to the same regulations. The Trans-Am series used A/Sedan rules. Eric purchased his car in the US, shipped it to France, and then went through the difficult process of getting a Historic Technical Passport for the car, which he ultimately did as a Trans-Am car.

Eric races his Camaro with the Peter Auto historic group, in the Heritage Touring Cup class for touring cars from the mid-1960s through mid-1980s. The series includes everything from Group 5, Group 2, Group A cars etc, and races at tracks such as Spa, Monza, Hungaroring etc. Looks like a lot of fun!

Eric has also helped me with technical details such as what I can and can’t get away with under the rules, and even the best/cheapest fuel to use. The plan is to build my car so it doesn’t require having to change anything in order to race in Europe, including the fuel octane. Eris is an awesome guy!

Name:  Chevrolet-Camaro-Z28-53848.jpg
Views: 1281
Size:  117.8 KB

Please check out Eric’s website here. If you're thinking of purchasing a historic race car, he is the guy to speak to: http://www.ericbroutin.com/

More on Peter Auto can be found here: https://peterauto.peter.fr/en

Heritage Touring Cup promotional video:

You might like to add one of these TG Racing foil decals. it is on silver foil, not the black that the scan appears.
    You can see one on the door of the car when in white and on the front fender above the Firebird script.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    In fact, the Fisher Firebird was actually the Camaro he’d contested the early rounds, which started life as a 1967 model. The team simply changed the sheet-metal, including the nose, hood, and tail-pan, plus they cut sections out of the rear quarters to fit the Firebird flutes. Initially, the car retained its white paint, as it had appeared in Camaro form, but was soon presented in a striking yellow with black scallops running back from the nose, with more scallops coming forward from the tail-pan across the hipline. It was a superb looking car.

Name:  FisherFirebirdMeadowdaleera.jpg
Views: 1558
Size:  102.9 KB
    Gilles Corbeil photo showing the car in its Trans-Am debut race as a Firebird, at Meadowdale, still wearing its white paint.

Name:  Fisher77front.jpg
Views: 1495
Size:  73.8 KB
    Now with black hood and stripes over the roof and down the rear.

Throughout the remainder of the season, Fisher produced several more strong results, including 4th at St Jovite, 2nd at Continental Divide, and 3rd at Riverside.

And it all started with that little yellow Firebird raced by the painfully shy, but hugely accomplished Craig Fisher. This is the car I’ll be building a replica of.

Sorry, I meant to say on the front fender above the "Firebird" script when the car is yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce302 View Post
    You might like to add one of these TG Racing foil decals. it is on silver foil, not the black that the scan appears.
    You can see one on the door of the car when in white and on the front fender above the Firebird script.

Wow Bruce, that is really cool! Where did you get this?

I'd love to get a couple of these made.

One of my Canadian friends who worked with TG Racing was kind enough to gift this NOS one to me.
    I will see if I can get some run off for, but we don't want them turning up on any old Firechicken.

It is all about the detail Steve. "The Firechicken", gee I just love that name, will look great with these on...

One of my Canadian friends who worked with TG Racing was kind enough to gift this NOS one to me.
    I will see if I can get some run off for, but we don't want them turning up on any old Firechicken.
    Bruce, that would be amazing if you could! I promise to make the car worthy. This would be a nice finishing touch.

Jon Mello:

Jon Mello is from California, and is a historian of first gen road and racing Camaros. He runs the Trans-Am Camaro section of the Camaro Research Group website and forum, which provides an enormously detailed reference for all aspects of first gen Camaros and the various parts homologated for them. He is also the go-to guy for first gen Camaros in the Historic Trans-Am group.

Jon has an incredible knowledge of the first generation Camaros that contested the Trans-Am series, including the homologated parts, and everything else associated with them. He has amassed a huge amount of historical material over the years, and even owns and restored the very first Z28 Camaro to roll of the assembly line, which was immediately converted for racing duties in the Trans-Am series. Be sure to get a copy of the December 2016 issue of Muscle Car Review, in which there is a fantastic 6 page article on Jon’s Camaro. The article can be viewed online also: http://www.hotrod.com/articles/first...s-restoration/ The attention to detail, and total commitment to period correctness has really raised the bar.

I wrote a story on Jon's Camaro here: http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...-28-Number-One

I’ve found Jon’s material, which is available for anyone to view on the CRG, to be incredibly helpful in researching my car. Its an amazing resource, and as my car is essentially a Camaro with different sheet-metal, this all relates directly to my project. Likewise, Jon himself is always happy to answer my questions, and has encouraged me throughout this project.

Please be sure to visit the Trans-Am section of the CRG: http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?board=19.0

Name:  MSN Photo.jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  175.9 KB
    Rich Truesdell photo from Hot Rod magazine.

More pics of Jon Mello's Camaro, Z28 number one, that's Jon with the "Palm Springs" Tee shirt. Want to know anything Camaro, he's the go too guy.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Thanks Dale, cool photos.

Bruce Thompson:

I’ve known Bruce for about 15 years now, maybe more. He and I first came into contact when I wrote an article on the former T/G Racing 1969 Firebird later raced by Rod Coppins to win the 1973 New Zealand Saloon Car Championship. Bruce has owned this car since the mid-1980s.

Bruce and I struck up an immediate friendship, and I’ve closely followed the very accurate restoration of this extremely significant race car. T/G Racing (Jerry Titus/Terry Godsall) were the factory Pontiac team in the Trans-Am series beginning 1969, and for that season sought to help fund their program by building a small production run of cars, some of which they’d keep for themselves, some of which they’d sell to privateer teams. The exact number is around 6 or 7 cars. Its thought the car Bruce owns is the only known surviving T/G Racing built Firebird.

Bruce has restored the Firebird to its 1973 Coppins guise, rather than its 1969 Trans-Am guise. The differences aren’t many, mainly the engine and wheel widths, and a few smaller details. But either way, the research he has done on Pontiacs involvement in Trans-Am racing during the late 1960s is world-class. He has become an authority on the subject. And I’ve been able to glean information from him to make my car as accurate as it can be.

When we think of important racing cars that have a New Zealand history, we mostly think of single seaters. But Bruce’s Firebird is up there amongst the most important, as being a very rare factory supported racer, and we’re extremely privileged to have it here in this country, and for it to have the caretaker it does.

Check out the thread on Bruce’s Firebird here: http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...-come-on-Bruce!!

Name:  086Standarde-mailview.jpg
Views: 1174
Size:  133.0 KB

Cheers Steve,
    The chase continues, I am finding out more about my car all the time, but I love the small detail.
    I am still finding more of the correct parts that have been separated from the car over the years, and refining what is already there.

Good luck with your build, I know you have a similar outlook on period correct detail. It will be good to see the finished article.

Bruce.

Cheers Steve,
    The chase continues, I am finding out more about my car all the time, but I love the small detail.
    I am still finding more of the correct parts that have been separated from the car over the years, and refining what is already there.

Good luck with your build, I know you have a similar outlook on period correct detail. It will be good to see the finished article.

Bruce.
    Thanks Bruce, I appreciate that.