Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anglias

Levin Nov 66

Name:  levin  66.jpg
Views: 1793
Size:  20.3 KB

This is from Levin the day before that's my car just behind the Anglia Fast back of John Ward who is off the track, I got a broken windscreen out of all the rocks he threw up with another off course escapade later that lap

World Champion
    Gee, don't you guys just love your Anglias. It's a real 'wish I'd never sold it' car. But I wonder if you could jump into your old car now and go for a blat, whether you would think the same. An Anglia could well have been your first race car, and the first of most things.....girlfriend....kiss.....and um yes, xxxx... is always a bit special. If your into music, and music and cars go hand in hand, you would have heard that song from the musical 'Evita'....'Don't cry for me Argentina'. Well, didnt you Anglia boys modify that a bit into....'Don't cry for me Anglia, Tina. ps....xxxx = BEER.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Nigel posted this on other thread, but this was at Bay Park not long after i got the car.
    Correction, got and finished the car.

Gerald,
    Yes the Anglia thing is I guess like the Mini or V8 thing, someone asked me the other day if I kept count of all the ones that raced,well that task would be huge if not impossible ,in my own case I raced five different ones between 1964 and 1970 ,built another two over the years that I owned but never raced myself,and must have been involved with literally dozens of others and we are still modifying and working on them for customers to this day

Was going to ask you Bob how many you had built up as I remember a few you had. At end of day they were really quite easy to play around with and get results. No fancy electrics, no puff puff noise, the diffs were as strong as, bolt in front suspension from Capri and they were already pretty light. Your little cars always went good. The good days ah Bob race down south on Saturday and shoot back to Auck for a hillclimb or club curcuit.

Rod
    Yes quite often in the later 69/70 season I raced different venues Saturday then Sunday ,at least once on a holiday weekend I raced Sat,Sun and Mon all at different places ,still got the log book from that season.makes interesting reading

Tasman Anglia

Name:  image-17111.jpg
Views: 1848
Size:  57.8 KB

This is a Anglia with a difference ,it is the Climax 2,5 engined car that was built in the UK
    and they called it the Tasman Anglia

A few Australian Ford Anglia's, mainly Sports Sedans.

Graeme Booth, who also has the Jim Richards Falcon Sports Sedan,

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Les Mercer at Oran Park,

Also at Oran Park,

Unknown driver at Oran Park,

Chris Dubois in a Historic Touring Car,

Timbo, Great photos! Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by bob homewood View Post
    Name:  image-17111.jpg
Views: 1848
Size:  57.8 KB

This is a Anglia with a difference ,it is the Climax 2,5 engined car that was built in the UK
    and they called it the Tasman Anglia
    Bob, without wanting to sound too much like a dummy, what is the tank on the top of the engine for?

I think it may be a header tank for the cooling system, as we know the old Climax did not like heat. (a guess)

Yes that was the header tank a lot of the earlier Climax engines had the header tank mounted up on top of the engine in that fashion

There was also a 2 litre Coventry Climax engined Anglia in Timaru, raced by a chap McKay. I understand the engine was sold to someone in the North Island a few years back to fit into a sports car?

Quote Originally Posted by grelley View Post
    There was also a 2 litre Coventry Climax engined Anglia in Timaru, raced by a chap McKay. I understand the engine was sold to someone in the North Island a few years back to fit into a sports car?
    I cant remember a Anglia ,but I do know Arthur Moffat put one in his Cortina ,back in 64 ? Carlo may know ?

Just going to put some Anglias from other threads ,make this a bit more complete
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Quote Originally Posted by bob homewood View Post
    I cant remember a Anglia ,but I do know Arthur Moffat put one in his Cortina ,back in 64 ? Carlo may know ?
    Ross McKay from Timaru ran the ex Ivan Segadin Anglia with the Climax engine in hillclimbs and when the engine failed my wife brought the car for me minus engine as a wedding present and we arrived back on the Coast from our honeymoon complete with the anglia on an A frame towed behind the Anglia van that the had run in the 1970 Silver Fern Rally a few weeks previously.

My first event in the car was a hillclimb at Harris Swamp on the Old Chch road, towed the car out behind the van then removed the 1200cc engine and gearbox from the van and installed it in the "Wacky Racer" as some of the Coast boys had named it as I only had the one engine and gearbox between the two vehicles, did the job at the hillclimb and then had to change everything back over again so I could tow the thing home and get down to the Aussie for the post event shambles.

As funds improved we eventually fitted a 1500 engine, a couple of Webers but still kept the std Anglia gearbox as it was pretty quick off the mark and when Bob Homewood arrived on the scene driving Jim Kennedy's BDA we did have some good old battles. When we left the Coast for the Far North we sold the car to the late Allan Hewlett who was another very acomplished driver and eventualy the car rotted away behind the Kumara garage until one day during a cleanup it went to the tip. About a month after Allan had done this I contacted him with the view of purchasing the car as it had quite a bit of NZ race history. Allan went to retrieve it but a flood in the Turamakau River the previous week had washed though part of the tip and the car now lies somewhere out in the Tasman Sea

Thanks Carl ,I thought there was a connection with a Climax motor and that car you had ,but I couldn't really remember ,it was strange those Climax motors went through a time around then when nobody wanted them ,mind if you had them now !
    Last edited by bob homewood; 08-13-2011 at 02:17 AM.

Don't think Fred ever recovered from that week in that Anglia Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
    Don't think Fred ever recovered from that week in that Anglia Bob
    Carl I think the discussion on Fred and the "Wacky Racer" belongs in the Yards and Yarns thread at some time ,we better keep this one pure and just Anglias