Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
Great thread.

Unfortunately, I have recently had to sell many of my Dinky Toys which I believe are about 1/43 scale, but find the modern 1/43 scale models a bit expensive for what they are. (My eyesight isn't what it was!)
However, I have found that the detail on some of the Scalextric slots cars at 1/32 is just amazing and now tend to collect them now and again, but as static models. The DB9, Le Mans Aston Martin, is stunning and the prices are very reasonable.

Apart from the Fly LM500/LM600 slots, there is a dearth of 1/32 (or larger) Marcos models, in fact, I can't ever remember seeing any static model other than 1/43 of any full sized Marcos, other than the Corgi versions of the 2/3 litre coupe, the Mantis and the XP, which is a sad omission, when you consider that many lesser known makes and models have been produced over the years, yet Marcos had a fine competition history at club and international historic lebvel.

Some stunning collections shown, so I sincerely hope your home contents policy covers them, as they may be worth far more than you think.

I recently decided to value one shelf of my better books and was somewhat shocked to find they were worth $1000's rather than $100's and that means a detailed list and pics for the insurance company.
Your model collections definitely need to be listed separately on your household insurance policies (just like any expensive items such as jewellery, camera equipment, etc). ERC is quite right - the value of your models may surprise you. I just insured mine for many, many $1,000's. There is normally a extra premium charged, but it is worth it for peace of mind.

A couple of friends lost their collections in the Christchurch earthquakes, and they were pleased that they had them itemised on there policies. It's also important to have a complete list (and photos) of all your models.