Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Diecast Collections?

While visiting Nick Slades workshop a couple weeks ago when over at Laguna Seca, had a look at Nick's collection. He has a good collection and Not sure if I mentioned to Nick that the Capri lives in the Waikato and is driven with verve by Gordon Burr.

The orange Can Am is an interesting sports car with a great history. It is the Shadow that Follmer drove with the big block. The original car is undergoing a complete rebuild in Nick's workshop and is an amazing bit of gear. It is really just a big go-kart with a huge engine jammed up the drivers back. will post pictures in Rolex Monterey site once resized.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Noo Noo View Post
    It looks like an artists paintbrush but with very fine, bushy bristles nearly 40mm long. It does the job quickly and doesn't flick mirrors, wipers etc off. It is Haydn branded, so must be available from their stockists. I suspect it may be a womens make-up brush but that's a world I don't frequent so I'm only guessing.

David Hunter
    Dad used to use a soft brush with a built in rubber bulb that could act as a vacuum or a blower, when dismantling and restoring cameras. I have no idea where he got it from but he certainly got a lot of use from it - the collection contained about 650 cameras from old half plate mahogany & brass Sandersons, to Nikons.

Main focus is 1;43 with a large American influence [ 50 Corvettes ] plenty of English and Europeans and some Australian [ mainly Bathurst racers ] and a couple of Japanese.
    Name:  Models - American  #2,  163 (2) (800x701) (640x561).jpg
Views: 661
Size:  147.2 KB

Name:  Models English Euros and others 164 (2) (800x695).jpg
Views: 627
Size:  164.4 KB

Name:  Models Australian NZ and others  165 (2) (733x800).jpg
Views: 603
Size:  179.1 KB

I made this comment back in early 2013 taken this long to post the photos.
    " As a serious Model Collector mainly 1;43 [ ask John B - have acquired a lot from him over many years ], collection is sports cars and tin tops mainly in race trim, covering Europe UK, Australia and NZ, and USA with a special collection of Briggs Cunningham cars from the 1950 Cadillac's [ Le Monstre and Le Petit Pataud - type 62's ] to his own cars, to Corvette's and Jaguar's and as I have owned a few ; some Austin Healey's MG's and Triumph's [ sports cars ]. not to mention over 50 Corvette's in Road and race trim. yep the thread is one I will follow. PS have the NZ attack on Le Mans Porsche too !! as pictured. must get some photo's on here. cheers "
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 09-13-2015 at 08:05 AM.

A collection to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by chaindrive View Post
    A collection to be proud of
    Chaindrive, thanks I have to thank John B [ John Bennoch from SPR models ] on TRS, for obtaining the two cabinets with the racing scenes behind them [ we purchased a set of 5 to get a good price back in 1999 ] - he also downloaded the images and helped get them printed - around 50 of the models also were purchased from him over the last 16 years, since we met when living in the same apartment block

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Tracey View Post
    As I have just been educating some model collectors elsewhere I thought I would chuck these pics of my Jim Richards models up here as well.

Models 56 Sidchrome Mustang. All Models are 1:43 scale.
    Cheers
    Lee
    Got that one via John B from SPR thanks and got it at a better price through JB than buying it here in Australia, go figure that one !!

My collection is mainly 60's - 70's single seaters, Austin-Healeys, BMC Rally cars and a few odd models that interested me. Not a huge collection, but it has been fun discovering them, especially if they have some age. Some restoration has been attempted also in a few cases when spare parts have been available.

Name:  Model-Collection.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  148.0 KB

Ross great stuff ; Have two 1/18 big Healey's a duotone 100/6 and a tri-carb 3000 in red, in another cabinet - not pictured ;
    The Cunningham 2 nd row down - what makes is it ??
    I have a Brumm one which I have John B sourcing me a Spark version with more detail. Have 17 of Cunningham Team cars which include Cadillacs Jaguars Corvette's and his own cars [ 7 of them ] see the bootom 3 rows of my American cabinet.

Its a Hotwheels - not 1/43 though. There are a few for sale on TradeMe at the moment, but make sure you get the white one as I have seen them in different colours.

I don't really stick to one scale - just whatever takes my fancy and isn't a stupid price. I've found some really strange Formula cars made in Hong Kong and NZ from the sixties that remind me of some of the garbage stuff that used to come into NZ those days. Chinese models of today are far better built even if they are ripoffs.

Name:  Cunningham.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  178.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by BMCBOY View Post

Its a Hotwheels - not 1/43 though. There are a few for sale on TradeMe at the moment, but make sure you get the white one as I have seen them in different colours.

I don't really stick to one scale - just whatever takes my fancy and isn't a stupid price. I've found some really strange Formula cars made in Hong Kong and NZ from the sixties that remind me of some of the garbage stuff that used to come into NZ those days. Chinese models of today are far better built even if they are ripoffs.
    Good selection of models BMCBOY. The Briggs Cunningham white/blue colour scheme looked great on all of his cars (especially the Cunninghams, Cadillacs, and Jaguars), but my favourite was the 1960 Le Mans Corvettes. These four are all 1:43rd scale ...

Name:  Corvette_LeMans_1960.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  102.5 KB

Which of the Chinese brands do you think are a rip-off?
    Last edited by John B; 09-13-2015 at 01:17 PM.

First Cunningham I ever came across was the Dinky toy version. At that time, (1950's) most of us Brits knew nothing whatever about Cunningham. I sold mine a year or two ago, along with most of my collection, to help fund a cruising habit...

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    First Cunningham I ever came across was the Dinky toy version. At that time, (1950's) most of us Brits knew nothing whatever about Cunningham. I sold mine a year or two ago, along with most of my collection, to help fund a cruising habit...
    ERC, have that Cunningham issued by Dinky in 1955, mine has had the white paint redone and has race No 31, I recently saw a Meccano magazine from 1955 at a local antique / collectibles shop and didn't buy it - bad decision.

Don't ever sell your collections.....You'll regret it later. I made the mistake of selling a collection of 200 plus Ferraris to the Wanaka Toy Museum in a shortsighted moment. Worst thing I've ever done !!!!!

Ross, thanks, have the Hotwheels one which is around 1;76 scale - sits in a box of other models, Cadbury Truck set and others.

Quote Originally Posted by chaindrive View Post
    Don't ever sell your collections.....You'll regret it later. I made the mistake of selling a collection of 200 plus Ferraris to the Wanaka Toy Museum in a shortsighted moment. Worst thing I've ever done !!!!!
    Why not sell? My (younger) brother asked me why I was accumulating assets and then, aged 65, I had to have a good think. He was right. What is the point? So I divested myself of some major assets and am now looking at the minor ones.

At what point do you sell your collection as the chances are your kids will have zero emotional attachment; have no idea what they are worth; will just flog them off cheaply anyway as they wouldn't be bothered about cataloguing, researching and selling item by item.

Same applies to books.

They look great on the shelves and in cabinets, but I have reached the point where I'd rather sell and get the benefits of any increased value (if any) whilst still buying the occasional model because it appeals. Nothing is going to give the return that I made on old tatty Dinky toys and even the old Hornby Dublo rolling stock (still boxed), as nowadays, decent models are produced AS collectors items and although I am happy to be proved wrong, I doubt that values will increase on 90% of them, fast enough to make them a real investment.

ERC,
    have to agree with this comment ;

" At what point do you sell your collection as the chances are your kids will have zero emotional attachment; have no idea what they are worth; will just flog them off cheaply anyway as they wouldn't be bothered about cataloguing, researching and selling item by item. "
    I am fortunate as have a step-son who is interested and now nearly 50, but also a nephew who is very keen, so someone will take the collection,.
    Just have to get it back to NZ.
    The collection is because I like what I collect, the monetary side not really a driver [ no pun intended ], likewise with the books etc, just enjoy re-reading and researching when I can

cheers
    Roger

Chaps..........we'll have to agree to disagree. !!!!

Yup, we'll agree to disagree!

As I look around my office with 700 CD's that none of the family will want; a great collection of LPs, EPs and singles; part of a 1,000+ collection of books; piles of motoring memorabilia; old film cameras; 400+ race programmes; still a fair few diecasts, Scalextric cars still boxed and a pile of track; 60 Wrenn 152 slot cars and a pile of track and spares; then down in the garage, several magazine collections, some going back to the 1960's, (Classic & Thoroughbred from issue #1 September 1973 to date) and several other magazines also going back.

Oh yes, great collections today, but when I keel over, then what? No. I have had my fun collecting and although making a profit was never a consideration then, those who spent all their pocket money and then part of their early wages and later, salaries, on fags and booze have nothing to show for it.

Time to slim it all down. Create some space and make life easier for the family when I have gone, as unlike the UK, there aren't that many collectors in NZ willing to spend money on adding to their own collections of the older stuff.

The race programmes I still delve into to try and set dates for the pics being converted to digital, but at least those pics can be shared with others, so they may gain some value or enjoyment out of it, but boxes of mint and boxed diecasts in a cupboard?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Got that one via John B from SPR thanks and got it at a better price through JB than buying it here in Australia, go figure that one !!
    I currently get the bulk of my models through JB - no GST makes a difference - although it's still a damn sight cheaper than buying from Europe or the US.
    Nice display box - I think I'll make up something similar.

[QUOTE=John B;48523]Good selection of models BMCBOY. The Briggs Cunningham white/blue colour scheme looked great on all of his cars (especially the Cunninghams, Cadillacs, and Jaguars), but my favourite was the 1960 Le Mans Corvettes. These four are all 1:43rd scale ...

Name:  Corvette_LeMans_1960.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  102.5 KB

JB, bought those from you great,

Name:  Models - American  #2,  Cunningham's Corvette's & Camoradi 163 (3).jpg
Views: 541
Size:  183.7 KB

Here they are with few friends - Grand Sports Corvettes