Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Diecast Collections?

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post

First Cunningham I ever came across was the Dinky toy version. At that time, (1950's) most of us Brits knew nothing whatever about Cunningham. I sold mine a year or two ago, along with most of my collection, to help fund a cruising habit...

Roger
    ERC, have that Cunningham issued by Dinky in 1955, mine has had the white paint redone and has race No 31, I recently saw a Meccano magazine from 1955 at a local antique / collectibles shop and didn't buy it - bad decision.

Grimme
    this is not a model but the real thing. This was at Monterey Rolex for auction at Bonhams.
    it looks like a model just out of the box.
    I am so happy that we got to see it as it was not outside for long, actually Ralph Mossman clicking to what it was became the bonus, as they were just shifting it.
    Sorry not a model but of interest
    Attached Images Attached Images     

I like to display my models on angled shelves, so that you have a better view of them. This means that they need to remain screwed to their bases / display plinths (which isn't a bad thing, as the bases have all the car, event, and driver details printed on them).

Name:  Display_Cabinet_1.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  154.6 KB

These photos were taken before glass doors were added, so all the models are still displayed by their individual clear acrylic cases. They look far better displayed behind glass doors, and out of their individual cases.

Name:  Display_Cabinet_2.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  152.9 KB

John.......That's what I call a Collection. Absolutely Brilliant !!!

When I said I'd sold much of my Dinky collection, we are talking about a couple of A4, 5 ream paper boxes of often tatty, sometimes repainted cars, sometimes mint, sport cars, saloon cars, commercial vehicles, buses and fire engines and a couple of unbuilt Airfix kits, Tamiya kits etc. - and a rare unbuilt MRRC 4WD slot racing Mercedes... Not in the same league as these collections - but it still raised almost $2,000!

Great stuff John.

Quote Originally Posted by chaindrive View Post
    John.......That's what I call a Collection. Absolutely Brilliant !!!
    That is what happens when you import them and can't sell them all, because you like them too much. Have seen John B's collection and am jealous - was not quick enough to get some seen here. Still have few on pre-order.

The photos in post #102 were taken several years ago. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that this is only about 20% of my collection. The collection only includes race cars, and the major themes are GT and sports prototypes; Le Mans and endurance sports cars; CanAm; McLaren cars; Kiwi drivers; plus a few others that I just like the look of!

We moved house a while ago, and sold all my old display cabinets (in post #102), with the intention of building more when my new office was built. Unfortunately we're having trouble finding a builder, so the office still isn't started. In the interim, all my models are in storage, but I have a few favourites in carry cases so I can perv at them occasionally...

Name:  case.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  167.6 KB

Name:  case_2.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  166.4 KB
    Last edited by John B; 09-20-2015 at 02:05 PM.

[QUOTE=John B;48523]Good selection of models BMCBOY. The Briggs Cunningham white/blue colour scheme looked great on all of his cars (especially the Cunninghams, Cadillacs, and Jaguars), but my favourite was the 1960 Le Mans Corvettes. These four are all 1:43rd scale ...

Attachment 30291

Here they are getting ready for Le Mans

Name:  Cunningham Corvette's Le mans 1960 #2. bk05 (2).jpg
Views: 669
Size:  34.1 KB

And here they are at the start...

Name:  Le-Mans-Start.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  183.8 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    That is what happens when you import them and can't sell them all, because you like them too much. Have seen John B's collection and am jealous - was not quick enough to get some seen here. Still have few on pre-order.
    I see (quite) a few in there that I missed - probably just as well - the missus isn't pleased if she sees another box turn up in the post - John now has to send them to my work, so I can unpack them and smuggle them into the barn without her knowing........funnily enough, she doesn't seem so bad if I say "these were on pre-order from a year ago", hence my habit of scouring the catalogues when they come out and sending John off a list...........

Quote Originally Posted by SPman View Post
    I see (quite) a few in there that I missed - probably just as well - the missus isn't pleased if she sees another box turn up in the post - John now has to send them to my work, so I can unpack them and smuggle them into the barn without her knowing........funnily enough, she doesn't seem so bad if I say "these were on pre-order from a year ago", hence my habit of scouring the catalogues when they come out and sending John off a list...........
    SP man - yep I use " pre-order from a year ago " is used in this house too !! It is true, mine have to come to home in QLD so no hiding from the courier.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    And here they are at the start...

Name:  Le-Mans-Start.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  183.8 KB
    John B, the Jaguar E2A is number 6, which I got recently - just need number 5 car to have the starting 6, then the Aston and some Ferrari's - that would blow the budget.
    Have a copy of the picture too !!

Collection is mainly 1;43 as shown on post however, do have a couple of 1;18, and some old Dinky's including the Cunningham 1955 issue. The Cooper - Bristol is 1950's [ found in a road gutter in Hamilton NZ back in the late 90's ] and the Military Truck in the centre from 1938, although was made until mid 50's found in a garden, rescued and repainted in the 1960's , others are more recent including " Le Monstre " from John B.
    Name:  Models Healey MX5, Dinky's . #2, IMG_0179 (2) (800x395).jpg
Views: 635
Size:  91.3 KB

Just the stuff not in boxes!

Morgan & Volvo are plastic kits, plus the excellent maroon Tamiya Mk 2 Jag on the bottom shelf, not diecast. Obviously, several slot cars too, plus 2 glass/crystal Jaguars.

Name:  215_0917_01.JPG
Views: 639
Size:  180.6 KB

Last edited by ERC; 09-17-2015 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Just the stuff not in boxes!

Morgan & Volvo are plastic kits, plus the excellent maroon Tamiya Mk 2 Jag on the bottom shelf, not diecast. Obviously, several slot cars too, plus glass/crystal.

Name:  215_0917_01.JPG
Views: 639
Size:  180.6 KB

ERC, great stuff ! love the AC Aceca !! and is that an Aston ? [ Burgundy -tucked behind the 50's single seaters, had a dinky of that as a kid, now have a modern rendition ].

No Roger, they are Ferraris. A Monza and further back, a GTO.

The Aceca I have held on to as I just love it - and this is unblemished, but faded. A bit like the owner some would say...

Top right, nose on, worth a bit more than some of the others, despite the maker's name!

Name:  215_0917_05.JPG
Views: 658
Size:  87.7 KB

Name:  215_0917_06.JPG
Views: 629
Size:  86.5 KB
    Last edited by ERC; 09-17-2015 at 05:00 AM.

John B, the Jaguar E2A is number 6, which I got recently - just need number 5 car to have the starting 6, then the Aston and some Ferrari's - that would blow the budget.
    Have a copy of the picture too !!
    Roger, I'd like the #5 Jaguar D-Type from Le Mans 1960 for my collection too, but unfortunately Spark has not produced a model of it yet.

This D-Type has an interesting story. Powered by a 2997cc 6-cylinder, it was driven by Ron Flockhart & Bruce Halford, but retired after 14 hour with a broken crankshaft. It was the last D-Type to race at Le Mans, and the last Jaguar raced by Ecurie Ecosse. It was also subject to the high windscreen and luggage compartment regulations, meaning that it wasn't as 'pretty' as previous D-Types. The car ran as high as 3rd, but was 5th for most of the race, overshadowing the newer #6 Jaguar E2A (E-type 2A Prototype).
    Last edited by John B; 09-20-2015 at 04:45 PM.

Just like to share this,was in our local Emporium type shop in Rotorua today and came across this little item,not a "Diecast" i know,[hope no one complains !!] Was so close to our little Bugeye we restored several years ago just had to have it and show it off!Name:  Sprite 2.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  98.4 KBName:  Sprite 1.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  80.6 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    mine have to come to home in QLD so no hiding from the courier.
    A Post Box in country W.A. isn't the most private method of collection here, either - unless I can beat the missus to the Post Office ...........hence the work address.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Roger, I'd like the #5 Jaguar D-Type from Le Mans 1960 for my collection too, but unfortunately Spark has not produced a model of it yet.

This D-Type has an interesting story. Powered by a 2997cc 6-cylinder, it was driven by Ron Flockhart & Bruce Halford, but retired after 14 hour with a broken crankshaft. It was the last D-Type to race at Le Mans, and the last Jaguar raced by Ecurie Ecosse. It was also subject to the high windscreen and luggage compartment regulations, meaning that it wasn't as 'pretty' as previous D-Types. The car ran as high as 3rd, but was 5th for most of the race, overshadowing the newer #6 Jaguar E2A (E-type 2A Prototype).
    John B, I have seen some models, well one or two of the Ecurie Ecosse Jaguars [ not Spark probably Brumm or Vitesse ] some years ago, but not in the High screen and the " luggage compartment ".

World Champion
    A nice piece of NZ motor racing memorabilia. I have a soft spot for the old Stockcars. My Dad used to take me to Palmerston North in his Light 15 to see them when were living in Wanganui back in the early 60's. This was made in Auckland by McKenzie & Bannister. Pic courtesy of Vintage Barn.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by bry3500; 01-04-2016 at 01:50 PM.