Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Diecast Collections?

Fun Ho models / Toys

Quote Originally Posted by bry3500 View Post
    A nice piece of NZ motor racing memorabilia. I have a soft spot for the old Stockcars. My Dad used to take me to Palmerston North in his Light 15 to see them when were living in Wanganui back in the early 60's. This was made in Auckland by McKenzie & Bannister. Pic courtesy of Vintage Barn.
    Would be worth some dollars now, Isn't there a Fun Ho Musuem in the Taranaki Region, they " Fun Ho " made similar metal toys.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Would be worth some dollars now, Isn't there a Fun Ho Musuem in the Taranaki Region, they " Fun Ho " made similar metal toys.
    Inglewood, I think.

Fun Ho models / Toys

Quote Originally Posted by SPman View Post
    Inglewood, I think.
    Re ;
    " Isn't there a Fun Ho Musuem in the Taranaki Region, they " Fun Ho " made similar metal toys. .".

SPman yes and they do repro models from the old dies.. and not expensive, old original though are, I Googled it ..

The Wine Box collection

Have had the idea of use wooden wine boxes, those with clear perspex tops as a way to display themed parts of my collection.
    Had one box with my three McLaren Can-Am cars in it for some time. recently was scouring a junk / collectable shop in Woorim on Bribie Island and came across a box that had contained a Port bottle, price $8.00, just what I was seeking, well, on asking the owner did she have any more and she found me another complete with the empty bottle, price $4.00. recycled the bottle
    Perfect ! as they sit on top of my desk, just below the main cabinets
    The components, one wine box, one clear cover, one photo, some models, a piece of box plastic as the road base - used for signs and we have.
    Name:  Model cabinet - wine box #1 the components IMG_0316 (800x754).jpg
Views: 783
Size:  179.1 KB

the picture, already inserted, a scene with the real cars.
    Name:  Model cabinet - wine box #2 Box and photo IMG_0317 (800x447).jpg
Views: 742
Size:  106.1 KB

the road base added [ to be painted grey / charcoal ]
    Name:  Model cabinet - wine box #3 box photo and road base IMG_0318 (800x428).jpg
Views: 789
Size:  96.9 KB

The models in place - with clear cover - The Cunningham Corvette's 1960 Le Mans, Spark Models ordered from John SPR Bennoch, thanks John
    Name:  Model cabinet - wine box #5 clear cover in placeIMG_0320 (800x440).jpg
Views: 791
Size:  112.7 KB

The other two boxes have yet to finished, have a picture for the McLaren's but haven't cut the road base. picture is under the cars at present.
    Name:  Model cabinet - wine box #6 the McLarens IMG_0314 (800x391).jpg
Views: 780
Size:  103.1 KB

The third box, the four dollar one, with 3 Bill Thomas Cheetah's, [ Spark models ]- from Pit Stop models at Palm Beach on the Gold Coast. John SPR Bennoch had sold all of his before I found out, a few years ago was surprised that Mike still had them .
    Name:  Model cabinet - wine box #7 The Cheetahs IMG_0315 (800x355).jpg
Views: 778
Size:  86.8 KB

Just need a scene to go with the Cheetah's have been scouring my books but will have to go to the WWW I think.
    May also add some details like tools to enhance the displays.

" Jack Daniels " came out with a bottle in a box a while ago, would be ideal for those who follow the Kelly Boys in V8 Supercars with either Holden's from a few seasons ago of their Nissan's from more recently. Don't drink Bourbon or Kentucky Whiskey much so missed out.
    Anyway an idea for display that is cheap, just have to do more scouring

Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by chaindrive View Post
    Brilliant!
    Chaindrive, thanks, I have found a Cheetah picture and put that in, the Mclarens' the pic is a bit small so some sorting to do. Will post new photos once the job is complete..
    meanwhile trying to find more boxes.

This is how they sit on the top of my desk with a model cabinet above - before new Cheetah photo found !!
    Name:  Model Box sets # 10 whole cabinet IMG_0312 (2) v3 resized , (800x643).jpg
Views: 637
Size:  165.0 KB

My models are all purchased, no hand made's like Chaindrive does.. well done ..
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 04-24-2016 at 06:38 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Some good ideas for display there Roger.
    Lately I've been sidetracked onto saloon cars - preferably of a racing nature, but...........This was triggered by John stocking the Armco race cars, and I started off with a couple of those (who could resist Jim's Sidchrome Mustang and Pete Geoghegan's Mustang) and it's started to snowball! Australian cars in the main, because, over here, there is a good supply of them. Armco (very limited supply), Trax (lots of regular Aussie saloons), Apex (not a big range, but have Norm Beechey's Chev Nova in all guises) and Biante Mainly 1/18 scale but they do a range of nice 1/43rd as well - espec their "Racing Legends" series.
    Most of my models are currently stored in boxes, but, all the strays, oddballs with no boxes, tractors etc, go into a display case and I've started sneaking in some of the saloons...........

(the display case cost $10 at a garage sale - a coat of paint and a clean.........)
    Last edited by SPman; 04-26-2016 at 02:25 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    The level of detail varies...Trax, Armco and Apex are all good general models, with a basic base - except for the Opal range, which have opening doors, boot & bonnet and engine detail. (the Armco Geoghegan Mustang also has an engine)
    The Biante range are very well detailed, with (the ones I've got anyway) full underbody detail. And the front wheels can be "steered"
    EG
    Trax Ford Falcon XP Coupe

underbody:-

Biante Falcon XB Coupe Bathurst 1974 - Moffat

Full suspension and underbody detail.

Prices vary wildly - most have been long sold out as new, so it's Ebay most of the way. Armco models range $100-150. Trax - $20-60+, Apex - the Nova is quite new, but even that ranges $75-110 yet I payed $40 for a Jim Richards Skyline GTR, and the Biante models - luck of the draw - I've paid $40-70 so far.

No kitbashed or modified cars, although I have some Corgi Mk2 Zephyrs, one of which is going to turn into a Molyslip team Zephyr Corvette at some stage...and an Anglia, crying out for a Fahey or Simpson fastback treatment ......probably when I retire......
    But - I've got to stop! What with these and my regular fix from John B., it's all getting a bit embarrassing.........
    Last edited by SPman; 04-26-2016 at 08:47 AM.

Great stuff SPMan, I use JB as my reason for having so many and like you have quite a few Australians, latest purchase was Bob Janes 1966 Mustang, #7, an Apex model, already had the Norm Beechey Neptune Racing one. and just picked up an Allard J2, Spark, but over here in QLD, so not from JB.. cheers and keep going.
    Am chasing another big cabinet but it needs to go on the garage wall and be only one car deep,

Quote Originally Posted by SPman View Post
    The level of detail varies...Trax, Armco and Apex are all good general models, with a basic base - except for the Opal range, which have opening doors, boot & bonnet and engine detail. (the Armco Geoghegan Mustang also has an engine)
    The Biante range are very well detailed, with (the ones I've got anyway) full underbody detail. And the front wheels can be "steered"

Prices vary wildly - most have been long sold out as new, so it's Ebay most of the way. Armco models range $100-150. Trax - $20-60+, Apex - the Nova is quite new, but even that ranges $75-110 yet I payed $40 for a Jim Richards Skyline GTR, and the Biante models - luck of the draw - I've paid $40-70 so far. ........
    The Beechey Chevy Nova was a car I greatly admired and would love to get a model of.
    Are you sure it was Apex as I checked their website and not there, and they usually include the models they have sold out of.

Site I check is apex replicas.com.au

Semi-Pro Racer
    You're right. The Nova is an Ace Model. http://acemodelcars.com/
    Last edited by SPman; 04-29-2016 at 01:09 PM.

The Wine Box model sets,

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Chaindrive, thanks, I have found a Cheetah picture and put that in, the Mclarens' the pic is a bit small so some sorting to do. Will post new photos once the job is complete..
    meanwhile trying to find more boxes.

This is how they sit on the top of my desk with a model cabinet above - before new Cheetah photo found !!
    Name:  Model Box sets # 10 whole cabinet IMG_0312 (2) v3 resized , (800x643).jpg
Views: 637
Size:  165.0 KB

My models are all purchased, no hand made's like Chaindrive does.. well done ..
    Have spent some more time on the boxes, and recently found some new ones, which will purchase at another time.
    I painted the coreflute base but the grey was very dark, not really happy with it, looks like this though, and background pictures in place.

Name:  Models Cheetah's dark base IMG_0349 (800x356).jpg
Views: 440
Size:  90.6 KB

Name:  Models Corvette's dark base IMG_0348_1 (800x307).jpg
Views: 458
Size:  83.0 KB

The Healey's background picture is at the Le Mans Relay Race at Pukekohe in 1983, first in B and W.
    Name:  Models Healeys B & W back IMG_0359 (800x356).jpg
Views: 382
Size:  87.6 KB

Here in colour ! .
    Name:  Models Healey's colour back IMG_0363 (800x307).jpg
Views: 437
Size:  84.7 KB

need to get the camera angle correct.