Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 formula junior world tour

"There are givers and there are are takers."

Thankfully, the former outnumber the latter on this site. With so many omissions from the Festival programme, (or almost any programme for that matter) I had to do exactly what the others have done and I too learned a lot.

Dating older stuff is even more difficult as a lot of it isn't on the Interweb, but fortunately, there are several people dedicated to filling in the gaps. Not sure about Nigel, but I currently have hundreds undated - though at least I can (usually) identify the cars.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    It says the site has been moved, but gives you the link anyway... It has moved to Speed Hive

https://speedhive.mylaps.com/#_ga=1....788.1446788377
    Being unfamiliar with mylaps I seem to have a problem.

I have followed this lead and found the FJ race 17 at Taupo, but I cannot seem to bring up more than the first 4 finishers.

is there a secret I am missing?

World Champion
    Terry,
    This is the site that I used.
    I hope you have success as it has a lot of good info. on the Taupo event.

https://speedhive.mylaps.com/en/Events/1359230

Cheers,
    Ken H

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Terry,
    This is the site that I used.
    I hope you have success as it has a lot of good info. on the Taupo event.

https://speedhive.mylaps.com/en/Events/1359230

Cheers,
    Ken H
    Thanks Ken, progress at last. I must have got a "bum" steer in post #14.

Where did you get the details of car by driver? I tried what you noted of Googling "2017 formula junior world tour" but can't find anything?

Please help

What you can do Terry is pick a driver's name from the result sheet, let's say for example - Tony Olissoff. Then type into Google "Tony Olissoff Formula Junior" and select "images". This will then show pictures of various Formula Junior cars and you will see that a small red front engined (and front wheel drive) car is frequently displayed. if you click on these photos it will say it is an Emeryson Elfin Mk1.

It doesn't always work but at least it should with most cars and drivers.

Hi again guys, I have just looked up media77, which is a photograpic company , which was at the scope meeting, and at the levels southern classic.
    there are pics of most of the classes, but none of the formula juniors.
    perhaps the fjs have there own photographers, or some other "deal" going on.
    anyone know?

As far as I know, no deal, as there is no exclusive right restricting anyone from taking or publishing pics.

Maybe the photographer is still filing and sorting? Maybe the class doesn't appeal? I have only just finished filing mine taken at the two January meetings and what was published was just a dip into the pile.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
    What you can do Terry is pick a driver's name from the result sheet, let's say for example - Tony Olissoff. Then type into Google "Tony Olissoff Formula Junior" and select "images". This will then show pictures of various Formula Junior cars and you will see that a small red front engined (and front wheel drive) car is frequently displayed. if you click on these photos it will say it is an Emeryson Elfin Mk1.

It doesn't always work but at least it should with most cars and drivers.
    Roger, what you describe sounds like a vert arduous task. However having gone through many formula junior sites there seems no list of competitors.

I am surprised that mylaps is the only one in NZ giving results, but then not noting the car make.

I guess we are spoilt in Australia by Natsoft which gives so much data in the one place. Two FJ examples:

http://www.racing.natsoft.com.au/642...06.85E/View?29

http://www.racing.natsoft.com.au/642...47.85L/View?25

gives car #, driver name, country, car details etc
    Last edited by Terry S; 02-19-2017 at 11:03 AM. Reason: correct links

Both those come up HTTP 404 Not Found.

Weekend Warrior
    What a great weekends racing by great people at Teretonga. Thank you guys for coming all this way.
    I hope you all enjoyed yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Both those come up HTTP 404 Not Found.
    Now hopefully OK

World Champion
    John,
    I can see what Terry is describing. Try this one and then go to the results for an example.

http://racing.natsoft.com.au/results/#2

Terry,
    You are going to get so good at this that you will be able to do the inputs for US.
    You will have a full time job keeping up with Ray and Nigel.
    I am doing a brief sample for you at Nigel's thread for the F1 cars at Taupo.

(Ken H)
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 02-19-2017 at 09:02 AM.

Just got an email from media77, the photographers at the classic, they said that they never shot any formula junior pics, because they "didnt think anyone would be interested", really!!

Unbelievable!

There are one or two classes I personally don't really care for, but as a very amateur photographer, I do try to take at least some pics when I can. But a professional outfit ignores a whole class? Shame on you media77.

I don't believe it! Media 77 should lose accreditation when a class like the FJ is in the midst of a world trip with cars from all over the world. Obviously they don't do any background homework. Were they the "official" photogs?

World Champion
    Why would anyone be interested in something like this !..How bad is that !
    Name:  FJ start at Taupo.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  141.8 KB

Thanks even more Nigel

World Champion
    I am going to stoke the fire, poke the bear, I am sure you know what I mean, having just gone through some of the links provided, I noticed that I could cross reference the cars from Mylaps, with the images provided on Media77, however there was, i discovered an issue, because on the first page of the photographs from Skope and the images from Mainland Muscle, was a car i have only a passing awareness of, its the ex Pierre Neame Capri, however, Media 77, and I know, how dare a professional multimedia business in this day and age do this, but they have labelled the photograph as i-Hzd3J5g, now, that doesn't really help me much as I cannot see a car number so I cannot identify the pilot!!
    Now I could just rant and rave and send a nasty email or message to Media77 about labelling practises of their 678 photographs over 3 categories from the Skope meet...or I could look at other photgraphs of the car a the meet from Media77, identify it as car 777 and then note it is driven by Andy Lloyd, then I can find out more about both Car and driver, if I choose, without upsetting those who labor long and hard to make sure those of us unable for whatever reason, to attend events, can in some way get information about car and driver, yes, it takes a bit more work from us plebeians, however, in my opinion, it is far better for me to do the legwork than upset those who actually make the effort to give us hours of viewing pleasure

Exactly! Use the internet and where possible, add information but it can be absorbing, frustrating, rewarding, informative, entertaining, in not very equal proportions.

The biggest frustration is still drivers who enter late and therefore do not appear in the programme - or organisers who stuff up the programme, but thankfully, that is a rare occurrence.

Lucky me, I'm too thick skinned to get upset by negative criticism seaqnmac27! Renaming photographs individually (as opposed to in bulk) is what takes the time. I bulk rename by date as I agree, IMG5433 DSC2345, or i-Hzd3J5g is meaningless.

What critics, sorry, a critic, may not realise, is that we can't just upload pics as they are, as there are 2 size limits for this website. A maximum of 185kb and also, 850 pixels wide. That means making copies before uploading, as even scanned negatives or slides can easily exceed this limit.

* Just found that I've accidentally overwritten a whole pile that I'd scanned, with the reduced sized images posted on TRS, so will have to scan them all over again... Oh deep joy.

Back to FJ's. I found one official website that lists all makes, but many links do not have pictures.

It is not a perfect world, but I live by the 80/20 rule. It takes 20% of the time to get it 80% correct but 80% of the time to get that last 20%. If I were perfectionist, I really wouldn't get much done at all.

We can always hope that someone can set up a comprehensive website with all FJ races, cars, drivers, results, pics etc., right from day 1. Good luck with that, but don't hold your breath. Meanwhile, there is a lot of stuff out there, but it just takes some effort to find it.
    Last edited by ERC; 02-20-2017 at 07:21 AM.

Here is a link to a site that has details on most of the FJ period marques :

http://formulajunior.com/fj-marques/

If you want to buy one then there are a few for sale here :

http://formulajunior.com/for-sale/

It includes two in New Zealand (Auckland):

- Rob Williams' front engined Elva 100 (2nd car listed in front engined category). This is an excellent buy for a car that performs well and has a good history.

- The ex-Len May Cooper T56 - again with a great history and just totally rebuilt. This is the first car listed in the rear engined category.

Come and join the fun and keep these fantastic cars in New Zealand!

I have just found this thread and I thought I would comment. First of all, Media77 is a VERY part time gig. We don't make a living off it and it barely covers its own costs. As such, we have to be selective in what we cover because with so many meetings, we cannot cover every single class, car, race AND do our day jobs which subsidises our cameras, website and editing software.

I'm sure you all enjoy looking at the photos of the cars on our website, but we pay monthly to have that hosted, so that website doesn't come for free, hence we have to be selective in our target markets to make it work for us. Being selective in what we cover means that we can have some semblance of a life that isnt working 40 hours a week at in our chosen careers and then another 30 hours a week on photos, every week.

If you take the time to look around our website, you'll soon figure out our target market is saloon/muscle/2kcup/clubsport racing. If we know in advance that someone is committed to buying photos for a weekend, we can make an effort. Because I'm sure we all hate time wasters that commit to something and never carry through and we get that a lot.

What you see in the URL is not the actual file name. As already mentioned, its a huge job to rename files, and the URL that you see in the address bar is just the address of the page which the photo sits in. The URL is determined by our hosting company which is based in Canada. On top of paying them to host terrabytes of images, they also take a cut (35%) of every single sale we make. They get two cuts of the penny and we get whats left on the 11th of the following month.

As for the suggestion that our accreditation be removed? Every photographer accredits for the meeting as a whole. In our case, we were at Timaru at the request of another category, otherwise we would have stayed in Christchurch and saved our petrol. As for Skope, that is our only meeting each year that we go out and shoot for fun, to try new techniques/locations/angles etc because at every other meeting, we only have 8 laps to get the shot.

So next time you see a photo, think about this. To you, an image file may have no value, its just some bytes. But to motorsport photographers, every image has a value made up of that shutterclick, webhosting, time to edit, software costs, depreciation on camera gear, maintenance, education and safety equipment.