Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2017 formula junior world tour

Alison, your work that Robert and you do for HMC/HSC is always appreciated. It was great to meet you both at Timaru and all our guys appreciated the photos from the meeting.

Keep the good work going...

Cheers
    Bruce Dyer
    HSC Director

Quote Originally Posted by Spgeti View Post
    Alison, your work that Robert and you do for HMC/HSC is always appreciated. It was great to meet you both at Timaru and all our guys appreciated the photos from the meeting.

Keep the good work going...

Cheers
    Bruce Dyer
    HSC Director
    Thanks Bruce. Just felt I had to respond to some very unfair comments made by people that have no knowledge of who we actually are or what we actually do!

Quote Originally Posted by paul lancaster View Post
    Just got an email from media77, the photographers at the classic, they said that they never shot any formula junior pics, because they "didnt think anyone would be interested", really!!
    So what is the true story?

I have never made a cent out of my photographs - even though several have been used on the covers of race programmes, print ads, Facebook cover pages, Club Magazine covers - all without acknowledgement or permission...

But there again I am just a snapper but carry the virtually the same costs and time demands as a pro.

Having made the effort to go a meeting as a pro, I would have thought that whilst there, for the sakes of another 30 cars, it would open up another income stream? It isn't as if there are extra costs especially with digital. I remember the days when all I could afford was 3 films and I had to save up for another couple of weeks for the processing! Then I was often very selective about what classes I shot...
    Last edited by ERC; 03-20-2017 at 10:20 AM.

Well, first off, thanks for the misquote. My reply to your email said, and I quote, "we didn't shoot formula junior sorry as we weren't aware that people would want them" because you asked us if we were going to post photos of the FJs - we can't shoot what we don't know there is demand for, as well as open wheelers not being our market. Sorry if that offends you, but I'm paying the bills for Media77. I know other professional photographers that did shoot the FJs, but they don't have websites, so are we getting it in the neck because we're more visible and easier to contact?

We make barely make enough to cover our costs to run the website, email hosting, web hosting, a pro dropbox account to move large files, subscriptions for editing software - all adds up quite quickly. Digital may seem cheap, but cameras have a limited shutter life, and a replacement shutter isn't cheap either. Our stuff appears everywhere without permission so that problem isn't unique to you, its a problem that comes with the internet.

There is the illusion too that digital doesn't cost. Have you bought a 4tb hard drive lately? A $4000 camera also has a limited life. 150,000 shutter clicks. There is the cost of the internet connection to upload it, and the cost of buying storage on a webserver. And memory cards.

Also, another 30 cars across say four races, would add about 2500 images to our workflow and thats something that we don't actually have time to process. Today, after having worked 8 hours, I came home and edited for three, cooked dinner and now I'm sitting in bed working on images. Now, if data is cheap, what about my time?

I make no apologies for deciding to run my business how I want to run my business. I certainly don't come and tell you what to do with your time.

Fair comment. I'm not having a go and believe me, I do understand the costs and the time involved. I was merely pointing out the earlier post with your emailed response.

I'm also aware of the shutter life - now, and my sole Nikon died at 23,000 (about half what it should have been) but when I bought it, I never knew that they had a limited shutter life! Fixing it is not financially viable.

I merely stated that even taking two or three shots of the FJ field, say 90 shots, may have been worthwhile, to leave you to concentrate on the other classes. Drivers are generally fairly ego driven and most want to see a pic of themselves. Some may even buy a pic...

Thanks for the response though. It is appreciated and hopefully, others may also have learned a wee bit about the subject.

I wont hold my breath for an apology from the participants in this thread - and their assumptions about us have sealed the fate that we probably won't consider covering FJ in the future. NZ only has one photographer making a full time living off motorsport. The rest of us mere mortals are accountants, retailers, teachers, university students and salespeople doing it because we love it, sticking to what we know and love.

And for the gentleman who found a car he didn't recognise, there is a contact me form on the website. We can identify a car relatively quickly because we've spent every evening for a week looking at said car and probably over a couple of rounds. And once we are home from our day jobs, we usually have a programme filed in the drawer in the spare bedroom.

Hopefully tonight I can finish editing my images from the three hour endurance finale and then prepare for covering our beloved 2KCup and SS Cup at Timaru this coming weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by nigel watts View Post
    Terry S,
    if you don't like what we post then don't look
    But for goodness sake please stop your whingeing because it seems lke YOU can't be bothered making the effort either.
    I'm still waiting for you to point me to YOUR photos so I can see how you do it.
    This forum is supposed to be, and is, a place where we enjoy looking at images and read stories, memories etc.
    Unfortunately you are starting to spoil that experience.
    Please stop.
    Can I suggest you have a look through this site. Every car and driver named.

http://forums.autosport.com/topic/20...c-march-17-19/