Thread: BUILD THREAD For 1964 Falcon Sprint to Monte Carlo Rallye FIA spec'

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi Paul, that sounds really cool. Race seat will need to be a MSNZ reconised brand and side trim will still need to be installed under today's requirements. Back seat removal is ok but the rear bulkhead will need to be sealed with no holes into the boot.
    Carpets can be removed. But again check with MSNZ first.

This is a great build and like Steve I am really enjoying it.

Cheers
    Bruce

Thanks for the feedback Bruce, really nice to get some positive and good advice.
    Then its the side trim and carpet in, I will fabricate some nice aluminium panels to seal up the rear bulkhead.
    I will look very hard into the seats, I would really like to have something that looks period correct

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
    Thanks for the feedback Bruce, really nice to get some positive and good advice.
    Then its the side trim and carpet in, I will fabricate some nice aluminium panels to seal up the rear bulkhead.
    I will look very hard into the seats, I would really like to have something that looks period correct
    Talk to Terry or Mike re the seat at MSNZ. I could not run an early Autosport race seat in my Alfa due to it's Schedule A classification.
    It was perfect for the period so I run it as my passenger seat as having a half cage I can not carry passengers.

The Falcon Sprint had a lot of steering work done to it from Holman Moody, The OEM steering box at 19:1 didn't cut it so Holman Moody quickened the steering ratio to 16:1 which equates to 3.25 turns as on the #1250 FIA homologation.
    Name:  IMG_20200217_104346.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  182.1 KB
    Ford part number tag as attached C4HM 35041 - the HM designates a Holman Moody part
    Name:  IMG_20200217_104424.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  162.6 KB
    The 64 Falcons also had extra heavy duty spindles fitted (1964 V8 models had larger tie rod holes than Mustangs). Many people say the 15 cars built used 64/5 Lincoln spindles, but Holman Moody also had special HD Ford built spindles that looked very similar dimensionally to Lincoln/ T Bird/ Galaxie, so best guess is that these may have been used.
    It was a mission and a half to figure this all out but I got it after about 6 months!
    Together with a smaller Grant steering wheel (that only some cars had, the G Hill #201 car had factory sprint steering wheel) all helped the Sprint get around the bends.
    Last edited by Paul B; 09-05-2020 at 10:25 PM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Spgeti View Post
    Hi Paul, that sounds really cool. Race seat will need to be a MSNZ reconised brand and side trim will still need to be installed under today's requirements. Back seat removal is ok but the rear bulkhead will need to be sealed with no holes into the boot.
    Carpets can be removed. But again check with MSNZ first.

This is a great build and like Steve I am really enjoying it.

Cheers
    Bruce
    Thanks Bruce, I have started work on the rear bulk head, its fairly straight forward, I will post up some progress soon
    Last edited by Paul B; 04-06-2017 at 10:19 AM.