Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: BUILD THREAD For 1964 Falcon Sprint to Monte Carlo Rallye FIA spec'

World Champion
    # 2
    Even though it says 1963 Falcon this is a 1964 Falcon in my book. Pity about the ending but hope you get to enjoy it overall.
    Bruce Dyer (Spgeti ) would also enjoy this, as I did seeing the classic Mini Coopers slide by !
    Will we see you at Spa ?
    Cheers
    Ken.
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 11-08-2017 at 10:57 PM.

Great clips Ken! thanks for posting them.
    Spa is a fantastic auto course, I have been there once previously. I would love to take the Falcon there.

Spgeti, you will like Alfa racing at Spa about 1/2 way through.
    Cheers

They all great clips. Sad end to the “Coon” but some neat cars out on the track including a Marcos.
    Love the Guilia sliding around the corners...

B

Now that the fiberglass doors are built & fitted I have moved on the the final part of the body work fitting the front fenders.
    The front fenders were supplied as 1 piece but no rear inner fender support panel was supplied or fitted. As you can see in the picture below, this is a shot of the new fiber fender fitted to the car, you can see straight through to the door hinges, the fender on the left and the cowl/firewall on the right.
    Name:  IMG_1064.JPG
Views: 1321
Size:  121.8 KB
    The below is the steel fender inner panel that I have now taken a mold of and made new inner panels from structural fiberglass
    Name:  IMG_1065.JPG
Views: 1289
Size:  111.5 KB
    So now with the molds made I have made 2 new panels and waiting for them to cure
    Name:  IMG_1067.JPG
Views: 1262
Size:  181.2 KB
    The next pic'is that of the fender fitted but still needing the rear inner panel fitted and gapping
    Name:  IMG_1063.JPG
Views: 1231
Size:  155.1 KB
    More to come soon when its all fitted

Here is a great video of a Holman Moody "FE" 427 Mustang Racing at Portland Historic Races.
    Such a cool sound, looks like he is shifting at 6800-7200

Last edited by Paul B; 01-10-2018 at 08:59 AM.

World Champion
    Paul,
    You may have seen these two Hemmings articles but I wanted to share them just in case and the photos are very interesting.
    https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...t/1960079.html

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2012/0...onaco-auction/

Name:  MonteCarloFalcon_# 49.  1964.jpg
Views: 1243
Size:  168.3 KB

Cheers,
    Ken H
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 11-22-2017 at 07:04 AM.

Hi Ken, Thanks for yet another great post, That is one of the best shots of #49 the Bo Ljungfeldt car (I have it on my Tee shirt). I believe it won every leg (or nearly) of the MCR but due to the handicap given for the Falcons the Mini won overall, Not withstanding Paddy Hopkirk, in the Mini did an outstanding job and most impressive drive.

I did not know that car (in the attached link) was up for sale again, previously it was up for sale and some controversy around its chassis number. Hopefully it was sorted out. #49 car did go back to Sweden after the Rally ended in 1964, not sure after that.
    There are only about 3 surviving MCR cars that I have heard of. There could be more stashed away waiting to be found.
    Its always amazing what you manage to find under stones, garage floors, archives or wherever you find these great gems.
    Cheers from Kiwi land!
    Last edited by Paul B; 11-22-2017 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Paul,
    I posted these photos on the other Falcon thread.
    They show an Alan Mann 1964 Falcon Monte Carlo Rallye car. License number ZE1051
    Attachment 47521

Attachment 47522

Attachment 47523

(I really enjoy your inputs and details of your work. You are a true craftsman indeed )

Ken H
    Hi Ken,
    These are great pics (pg 8 post #160), I believe of when Alan Mann was testing the cars prior to the Monte Carlo Rallye
    This car was #141 driven by Peter Harper and John Sprinzel
    First pic is a great shot, tossing it into the corner!
    Last edited by Paul B; 11-24-2017 at 08:01 PM.

World Champion
    Paul,
    This Ford Falcon Club site might have some useful information and contacts for you.
    http://www.falconclub.com/1964-2/

This is a great shot of Terry Sanger trying very hard in his 64 Falcon # 102 at the old Crystal Palace circuit which was close to where I used to live in Croydon. 1972 -73. The track had sadly closed in 1971 and I missed out on what must been a marvelous place to enjoy the racing.
    Name:  Ford Falcon at Crystal Palace in British Saloon Car Championship.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  99.1 KB

(Ken H)

Thanks Ken, Great shot!
    Its quite a common sight seeing these Falcons taking on an angular state while racing, Similar thing at Goodwood also.
    (almost looks like an early drift event!)

These Falcons would have been ex Monte Carlo fleet, raced during the 1965 - 1969 period, raced by:
    Alan Mann racing - Frank Gardener
    Mathwall Engineering
    Dennis Leech
    Malcolm Gartlan Racing
    Roy Pierpoint
    Terry Sanger
    Malcolm Gartlan Racing
    Last edited by Paul B; 11-27-2017 at 09:31 PM.

On the home straight now with the panel work. The front fenders are fitted with the new fiberglass inner panels I fabricated earlier and a nice solid, really good fit. Also fitted the OEM side trim brightwork
    Name:  IMG_1085.JPG
Views: 1130
Size:  137.2 KB
    I've just got some minor gapping to do on the fenders and doors and its done. Wahoo!!
    Name:  IMG_1077.JPG
Views: 1134
Size:  129.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1082.JPG
Views: 1126
Size:  156.8 KB
    December and January will be paint prepping,in for primer and another sand then planning to go to paint later in the year.
    Colours will be Wimbledon White with Guardsman blue side stripe ( same as the G Hill car #201 of course)
    Last edited by Paul B; 08-06-2018 at 09:43 PM.

Looks fantastic Paul, That is a ton of work, but the results are well worth it.

Very nice.

B.

Thanks Bruce.

Now this is not a Falcon
    But its 1964 and demonstrates what the experimental NASCAR 1964 Fairlane (sport coupe model) that was at Alan Mann racing in 64 was all about. This car was one of 3 recreations re-made by Holman Moody In 2003. 2 cars had FIA status but I believe they changed the cars around and this was pulled by FIA. The engine was a 427 big block FE. Just listen to that big block sound... music to my ears!

The experimental NASCAR 1964 Fairlane (sport coupe model) car is not to be confused with the 1964 Fairlane 427 Thunderbolt, which was a 2 door post model and was built only for drag racing.

The Experimental NASCAR 1964 Fairlane 2 door Sport Coupe model with a 427 was a completely different project as Ford wanted to transition out of full chassis Galaxies for NASCAR. Holman Moody built the 1964 experimental NASCAR 427 Sport coupe Fairlanes in secret and 1 was shipped to UK, Alan Mann racing for testing, I believe it was very successful. Later Alan Mann Racing offered up a number of Ford race cars including this car for sale. It was never seen again. I believe it went back to USA.
    It was Fireball Roberts who raced such a car in USA at The 1964 DAYTONA CONTINENTAL MEETING This was partly International, for the World Championship of Makes (16.02.1964).
    The FORD Fairlane was in fact entered in the AMERICAN CHALLENGE CUP race and this is not recognised as an FIA International Competition, it took place as an opening race on the 15.02.1964. He came 2nd in this race

Last edited by Paul B; 01-26-2018 at 04:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
    Thanks Bruce.

Now this is not a Falcon but its 1964 and demonstrates what the experimental 1964 Fairlane that was at Alan Mann racing in 64 was all about. This car was one of 2 recreations made by Holman Moody I think around 2003, The engine was a 427 big block FE. Just listen to that big block sound... music to my ears!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WRgybAyc6Y
    Fantastic build Paul - you are a true craftsman. It has been quite an experience to see the way you have gone about each stage and the workmanship that you have exhibited. A real example of how a car should be put together for this class and anyone who wants to complain about having to do some small items should look your way.

Love the clip of the Fairlane in action.

Thanks Bruce.

Now this is not a Falcon but its 1964 and demonstrates what the experimental 1964 Fairlane that was at Alan Mann racing in 64 was all about. This car was one of 2 recreations made by Holman Moody I think around 2003, The engine was a 427 big block FE. Just listen to that big block sound... music to my ears!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WRgybAyc6Y
    Oh to drive "the green hell" in a car like that. Lets do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce302 View Post
    Oh to drive "the green hell" in a car like that. Lets do it.
    I could watch that all day! that Big block 427 Fairlane machine rocks my world! (post #193)
    Lets bucket list the Nordschleife!
    Total coolness

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi285 View Post
    Fantastic build Paul - you are a true craftsman. It has been quite an experience to see the way you have gone about each stage and the workmanship that you have exhibited. A real example of how a car should be put together for this class and anyone who wants to complain about having to do some small items should look your way.

Love the clip of the Fairlane in action.
    Thanks very much for your kind words. Like I have said to a couple of people. Some cars just cooperate really well, this car is awesome its has been really cooperative!
    All the good stuff will be coming soon - Brake fitment, cooling, Suspension & set up, engine build, gearbox, Ratios - final gearing, wheels & tyres.
    Its all good fun... And that's why we do it.

I could watch that all day! that Big block 427 Fairlane machine rocks my world! (post #193)
    Lets bucket list the Nordschleife!
    Total coolness
    You bring the car, i'll bring the coke and hookers....

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce302 View Post
    You bring the car, i'll bring the coke and hookers....
    Your showing your age there Bruce....book me a seat !

Quote Originally Posted by Spgeti View Post
    Your showing your age there Bruce....book me a seat !
    sounds like we have the makings of a looong boys weekend away