Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: BUILD THREAD For 1964 Falcon Sprint to Monte Carlo Rallye FIA spec'

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    This thread just gets better and better. How much of the interior will you use Paul?
    Hi Steve,
    Thanks for that, The plan is to run most of the trim... only because it looks cool, the roll cage fitment will Not allow a back upright seat. so I will need to fab one up that will fit around the cage and get it covered in Original trim, Welcome anyone's thoughts?
    I don't think the extra weight will matter too much with 1964 Spec' car, the car will have clear limitations compared to the cars from the late 1960s and 1970s. but its all about originality for me.
    I am keen on building the original race seat (just for originality viewing) and extra dash instrumentation at some stage
    Name:  FalconMonteCarloRallyinteriora-vi.jpg
Views: 2297
Size:  99.2 KB
    Note the different steering wheels in each of the cars and different instrumentation
    Name:  rallyinterior-vi.jpg
Views: 2072
Size:  21.6 KB
    I have noticed each car was a little different in small ways, 1 car also had a 4 bbl carb set up, and 1 car was said to be a hot 6 cyl, (to combat the class that Chryslers Valiant entered) this was driven by Denise McCluggage - Anne Hall-#204? , Below is an earlier Falcon with the Hot 6 that Holman Moody built, Assume this would be very similar for the #204 car - I cant find any paperwork to support this
    Name:  Holman Moody falcon hot 6.jpg
Views: 2334
Size:  100.3 KB
    Last edited by Paul B; 09-05-2020 at 09:20 PM. Reason: updated info

Hi Paul, that sounds really cool. Race seat will need to be a MSNZ reconised brand and side trim will still need to be installed under today's requirements. Back seat removal is ok but the rear bulkhead will need to be sealed with no holes into the boot.
    Carpets can be removed. But again check with MSNZ first.

This is a great build and like Steve I am really enjoying it.

Cheers
    Bruce

Thanks for the feedback Bruce, really nice to get some positive and good advice.
    Then its the side trim and carpet in, I will fabricate some nice aluminium panels to seal up the rear bulkhead.
    I will look very hard into the seats, I would really like to have something that looks period correct

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
    Thanks for the feedback Bruce, really nice to get some positive and good advice.
    Then its the side trim and carpet in, I will fabricate some nice aluminium panels to seal up the rear bulkhead.
    I will look very hard into the seats, I would really like to have something that looks period correct
    Talk to Terry or Mike re the seat at MSNZ. I could not run an early Autosport race seat in my Alfa due to it's Schedule A classification.
    It was perfect for the period so I run it as my passenger seat as having a half cage I can not carry passengers.

Thanks Bruce, I will do that
    Those Alfas are very cool cars, we like them a lot.
    Cheers

The Falcon Sprint had a lot of steering work done to it from Holman Moody, The OEM steering box at 19:1 didn't cut it so Holman Moody quickened the steering ratio to 16:1 which equates to 3.25 turns as on the #1250 FIA homologation.
    Name:  IMG_20200217_104346.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  182.1 KB
    Ford part number tag as attached C4HM 35041 - the HM designates a Holman Moody part
    Name:  IMG_20200217_104424.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  162.6 KB
    The 64 Falcons also had extra heavy duty spindles fitted (1964 V8 models had larger tie rod holes than Mustangs). Many people say the 15 cars built used 64/5 Lincoln spindles, but Holman Moody also had special HD Ford built spindles that looked very similar dimensionally to Lincoln/ T Bird/ Galaxie, so best guess is that these may have been used.
    It was a mission and a half to figure this all out but I got it after about 6 months!
    Together with a smaller Grant steering wheel (that only some cars had, the G Hill #201 car had factory sprint steering wheel) all helped the Sprint get around the bends.
    Last edited by Paul B; 09-05-2020 at 09:25 PM. Reason: clarification

I love that you're researching how these cars were modified in period by H-M and then building your car as close as you possibly can to what they did. This is a neat build, and very true to the original cars. Its all these little details that make the difference.

You'll really get to experience just what the drivers experienced in period when they raced these cars, and not a modernized and improved version of.

Thanks Steve,
    The research side of it has been really interesting, It will be an experience to race this compared to My Honda Integra Type R race car. But that's all part of the fun.
    Interestingly enough after doing all this research, I have found that the 1964 Monte Carlo Rallye Falcon Sprints now seem more like they were a prototype for the Shelby GT350 Mustangs, so much of the setup is the same. Obviously, cant say for sure, but its looking like a very large coincidence.
    Galaxie 9inch LSDiff
    close ratio T10
    K series engine with mods to +300hp
    Quicker steering
    Stiffer front & rear springs, adjustable shocks
    Front Kelsey hays 4 pot disc brakes
    etc
    I suppose that's how it worked, the Ford race program is what the future performance road cars were based on.
    Last edited by Paul B; 03-31-2018 at 09:33 PM.

Thanks Steve,
    The research side of it has been really interesting, It will be an experience to race this compared to My Honda Integra Type R race car. But that's all part of the fun.
    Interestingly enough after doing all this research, I have found that the 1964 Monte Carlo Rallye Falcon Sprints now seem more like they were a prototype for the Shelby GT350 Mustangs, so much of the setup is the same. Obviously, cant say for sure, but its looking like a very large coincidence.
    Galaxie 9inch LSDiff
    close ratio T10
    K series engine with mods to +300hp
    longer steering pitman& idler arms
    Stiffer front & rear springs, adjustable shocks
    Front Kelsey hays 4 pot disc brakes
    etc
    I suppose that's how it worked, the Ford race program is what the future performance road cars were based on.
    I think a lot of that stuff carried over to the A/Sedan and Trans-Am Mustangs also Paul. It was an evolution, with Ford wanting to promote the new Mustang when it first appeared, so the parts carried across. Of course, in the UK under Group 5 touring car rules, the amazing light homologation weight of the Falcon Sprint meant it found a new lease of life which continued until the advent of Group 2 rules for 1970. It was a dominant force for many years.

When you get the time, have a read of the story I wrote about the only known existing Holman-Moody 1964 Ford Galaxie Nascar. These cars were allowed far more freedoms than the Falcons contesting the Monte Carlo, but its still really interesting to learn how they adapted such ingenious ideas into the cars to make them fast and reliable. Check it out here: http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...gerine-Crusher

Name:  candy_tangerine_crusher_home.jpg
Views: 2230
Size:  177.3 KB

Thanks Steve
    That is one very cool FB Galaxie. I really like the big block FEs I used to collect them! a one stage I had 11, some old racing engines under my basement, a lot of years back. I built a few big blocks they had phenomenal amount of torque. I will have a read,
    Cheers
    Last edited by Paul B; 04-22-2017 at 04:57 AM.

I fitted up the external cut off switch, it fit really nicely where the aerial used to live.
    Folded up a bracket and foam sealed the ends for water runoff. It will get a weight reduction later to remove excess steel that is not needed
    Name:  20170220_155827.jpg
Views: 1889
Size:  66.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_20200210_162831.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  181.5 KB
    I used the original body work holes to mount the bracket and spaced it carefully to allow for rain water flow
    Name:  20170220_155837.jpg
Views: 1869
Size:  68.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_20200210_161413.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  172.7 KB
    I would like to run an older looking more period correct cut off switch, but cant seem to fine one that's weatherproof. If anyone has some suggestion?
    Name:  20170220_160013.jpg
Views: 1852
Size:  68.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_20200205_173501.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  155.2 KB
    See page 5 - post 88, as I have updated the cut off switch with more period correct cut off. I have also lightened the whole set up that will be in a later post
    Last edited by Paul B; 02-16-2020 at 10:05 PM. Reason: updated

Get a long pull cable- Ford bonnet for example.
    Attach it to the ignition key, pull handle outside.
    That way anyone outside pulling the cable brings the key back to off- that very period, I have it on mine.

There are these available http://www.ebay.com/itm/Master-Batte...9UzS6l&vxp=mtr

and if you run another in series inside the car power can be cut from either location.

I fitted up the external cut off switch, it fit really nicely where the aerial used to live.
    Folded up a bracket and foam sealed the ends for water runoff
    Name:  20170220_155827.jpg
Views: 1889
Size:  66.4 KB
    I used the original body work holes to mount the bracket and spaced it carefully to allow for rain water flow
    Name:  20170220_155837.jpg
Views: 1869
Size:  68.2 KB
    I would like to run an older looking more period correct cut off switch, but cant seem to fine one that's weatherproof. If anyone has some suggestion?
    Name:  20170220_160013.jpg
Views: 1852
Size:  68.3 KB

Thanks guys,
    I have an old school primary cut off inside the car, the outside cut off is secondary, but I don't dig the plastic.
    The pull cable sounds cool ... did you see the rope cable on the floor trapdoor on the H-M Galaxie ... Rope activated! coolness

I will check out ebay, thanks for the link. Do you know if the Pollak switches are waterproof?
    Cheers

After some help from the right people. I was pointed to the UK where they have a range of historic seats.
    I have asked for the FIA approval numbers, so waiting on that.
    Name:  Classic%20CS.jpg
Views: 1764
Size:  80.1 KB

This is their classic range for 4 point harness with adjustable head support, which I will likely use providing the FIA numbers check out ok.

These are not FIA homologated, and are the best "period correct" seat I could find. So MSNZ says they are ok to use for "non championship" races, but said also check with race group requirements.

The 6 point roll cage has now all been mostly sorted out and booked for the build
    Last edited by Paul B; 09-14-2017 at 09:21 AM. Reason: updated

Paul, if you need a hand with shipping let me know, and anybody else for that matter. I am putting a few peoples things together for shipping in the near future. I am in the Midlands and can collect if needs be. In some cases this may mean paying VAT though.

Fantastic thread Paul. Does this mean you had 11 race prepped FE's ? 427;s 428's 390's ?

Quote Originally Posted by PDJ View Post
    Fantastic thread Paul. Does this mean you had 11 race prepped FE's ? 427;s 428's 390's ?
    Most of the FEs I had were in need of rebuilds, some I built. It was a long time ago, they were all sold off in 1989
    Some that I had:
    406 old race engine with x bolt mains adjustable rockers teflon gudgen buttons, This was a blown engine I bought
    428 SCJ that I rebuilt with 2 x 4bbl lowriser (that was a beast of an engine) (Think it went to Auckland into a BB 67-68 Mustang)
    427 top oiler x bolt mains, very nicely finished block, 1964 had Shelby alumin' sidewinder inlet (this was in wellington last I Knew)
    I built a 410ci with 427 heads big cam 11:1 comp, factory 427 twin point - this thing had unbelievable power. (I sold this to a guy in Levin)
    390s etc
    I would like to build an early 60s FE big block Historic, I particularly like the 1957 ford custom 2 dr
    Name:  untitled.jpg
Views: 1915
Size:  74.2 KB
    On another tangent... It would also be very cool to do a build on the Robbie Francevic's 427 Fairlane
    Name:  Robbie Francevic Fairlaine 1.jpg
Views: 2002
Size:  140.6 KB
    Last edited by Paul B; 04-06-2017 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Paul, if you need a hand with shipping let me know, and anybody else for that matter. I am putting a few peoples things together for shipping in the near future. I am in the Midlands and can collect if needs be. In some cases this may mean paying VAT though.
    Thanks for that, That would be very cool. I was also thinking of a set of Aluminium bumpers at some stage (they only seem to be available in the UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Spgeti View Post
    Hi Paul, that sounds really cool. Race seat will need to be a MSNZ reconised brand and side trim will still need to be installed under today's requirements. Back seat removal is ok but the rear bulkhead will need to be sealed with no holes into the boot.
    Carpets can be removed. But again check with MSNZ first.

This is a great build and like Steve I am really enjoying it.

Cheers
    Bruce
    Thanks Bruce, I have started work on the rear bulk head, its fairly straight forward, I will post up some progress soon
    Last edited by Paul B; 04-06-2017 at 09:19 AM.