Thread: Rob Mahoney says Hi

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Michael. Somebody "borrowed" the last family copy of the Rothmans book years ago. I tried to find a copy in second hand shops in NZ with no success. It's good to know that people are still enjoying his books. I'll try to find it again, on the internet.

Writing the first post brought back a lot of memories, including the times when my brother Jim and I both went to the track with Dad. On a couple of occasions, he sent us down to the paddock to interview drivers, "Go down and see what's going on with Stewart and Hill." We'd head off with our press passes dangling around our scrawny necks, all of 17 and 10 respectively, past the sometimes prickly stewards and Jim would talk to the drivers in between practise sessions, while I observed. They must have found it pretty amusing to be asked a bunch of pertinent questions by a team of boys, but were always friendly. They were very relaxed times. It led to Jim doing a lot of writing about boxing until quite recently, as well as being Chief sub-editor on a number of Auckland papers. I also made a couple of shoe-string budget films about historic racing here in Victoria with the help of the VHRR, a decade or so ago, which I will post highlights from here eventually. I'm building up to doing some more films. It's a lot of fun, but exhausting when you're doing it in your spare time...
    Last edited by robmahoney; 02-26-2017 at 03:35 AM.