Thread: New Zealand ShellSport Saloon Series 1978 - 1985

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thats a great shot ,,pretty shure he made the front row in the wet at BP one meet,,,right beside me.. thats way up the other end Rod

Quote Originally Posted by jim short View Post
    Thats a great shot ,,pretty shure he made the front row in the wet at BP one meet,,,right beside me.. thats way up the other end Rod
    Great photo's. If that is my old car (which it must be) It continued on its winning way!! Jim, talking about the wet at Baypark. when I raced this car for 2 seasons, we never had any wet tyres, only some old second hand intermediates. One time at Ruapuna, Reg & Robbie beat me in the rain because of this. At Baypark one time in the second season (when it was black- 1977) Reg Cook had done an enormous amount of work on the Cherry. A certain very well known competitor who wanted to see me blitz the Cherry and its driver, lent me his wet tyres off of his F5000.
    It was bucketing down all through practice and the lead up to this meeting. Mud everywhere. I was entered in all 3 classes. 0-1300,0-4200,0-6000cc of the Shellsport Championship races. I went out and never wanted to come back in! They kept hanging out the pit 'in' board. The result was the car was on pole for every class the next day. This is against the very best cars in NZ at the time; 3 poles in one day- what a car! As a post script it was dry for raceday and i thought it prudent to not start from pole in the 0-6000 race. That might have been suicide as I was not known for my great starts.The 0-6000 boys were playing for keeps and sheep stations.