Thread: New Zealand ShellSport Saloon Series 1978 - 1985

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
    Is that a fact ?

Nigel, agree about Sulco
    I must admit I question that comment the same as Carl.

Having been closely involved with a ShellSport two time Champion during those years, I was disappointed when the ShellSport era came to an end but deep down I really felt it had sadly passed its use by date.

If Shell chose to channel their money into an academy that created the careers of people such as Greg Murphy then I have no problem with that.

All things have their day and I am so pleased that I had the opportunity to be involved during the ShellSport era and meet such passionate and friendly people such as Carl and the others who always made us welcome when we visited the South Island

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post

If Shell chose to channel their money into an academy that created the careers of people such as Greg Murphy then I have no problem with that.
    i am sort of struggling a bit here.....can someone correct me if i am wrong please.
    Shell withdrew from the shellsport series at the end of the 85 season.......is that correct.
    The academy as it is referred to that started the carreers of greg murphy amongst many others commenced in the 1990/91 season...

and there is a perceived connection between the two..........??...really.

Don't forget the class was revived/revamped as the Tootal Coolwool 2.5 series allowing rotaries to run. Keiron Wills ran his ex Aussie Grp C RX7 which was then turned into the RX8. I remember the buzz at the time was touring car racing grabbing all the attention and many potential smallbore racers took to running Corollas etc in the B&H series and then the Nissan Mobil Series. When touring car budgets got too much for many, SS2000 was developed and continues to cater for the smaller capacity modified saloons.

Quote Originally Posted by stirlingmac View Post
    Don't forget the class was revived/revamped as the Tootal Coolwool 2.5 series allowing rotaries to run. Keiron Wills ran his ex Aussie Grp C RX7 which was then turned into the RX8. I remember the buzz at the time was touring car racing grabbing all the attention and many potential smallbore racers took to running Corollas etc in the B&H series and then the Nissan Mobil Series. When touring car budgets got too much for many, SS2000 was developed and continues to cater for the smaller capacity modified saloons.
    yes ,i am aware of that,it was the inference that shell stopped supporting the shellsport class to tip their money into the 'academy' for young drivers when there was a 5 year gap between the two...

Sorry Richard I wasn't having a dig at you or Russ , just highlighting that a class for small capacity cars continued but the spotlight turned to the touring cars.