Thread: New Zealand ShellSport Saloon Series 1978 - 1985

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    John, no problem with the point of a strong roll cage, but some of these older cars have different mounting points, and configuration etc, and i for one will not be cutting mine up and replacing. I am safety concious and believe my original cage is as strong as any new one (It is steel and I gotta sit in it, and want to be safe).

Must get a copy of regs and see what the go is.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Rod, in my many duties in motor sport, one of these is a Auditor, and sometimes when looking at a older cage, while complying with regs of the I find them wanting, as far as mounting points go, a saloon car is the easiest to put a cage in, and if you are rebuilding a older race car,it is very easy to fit a new Homologated cage, some of the early cages really need careful inspection, but its a bit like crash helmets, if you have a cheap head, buy a cheap helmet, if you value your head, buy a expensive one.they all comply, but some are a lot better than others, safety is all about minimum standards, there is nothing to say you can not go to a higher level.
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    John, no problem with the point of a strong roll cage, but some of these older cars have different mounting points, and configuration etc, and i for one will not be cutting mine up and replacing. I am safety concious and believe my original cage is as strong as any new one (It is steel and I gotta sit in it, and want to be safe).

Must get a copy of regs and see what the go is.