Thread: New Zealand ShellSport Saloon Series 1978 - 1985

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Just a comment about current cages and a bit of extra info I find weird.

My long term project car had a basic cage built to the MSNZ regs of the day (2006) but was never signed off - although pics were forwarded to MSNZ prior to painting. All progressed quite happily and the car is now trimmed and painted - but the rules have changed regarding the main hoop - and only the main hoop.

On approaching MSNZ they said they can't pass it as it no longer conforms but an engineer's report will suffice. (The fact that there are 100's of cars out there with the older spec hoops is apparently irrelevant, as they won't have to conform.)

A consulting engineer then came back with what he needed to pass the MSNZ requirements for a freeform cage, because that is what it is now classed as.

There is so much extra steel now required (with 360 degree welds of course) that it is impossible to conform without totally wrecking the car. Now here is the rub.

IF the cage was constructed to the current approved design with the slightly stronger main hoop, IT WOULD FAIL ALL THE TESTS DEMANDED OF A FREEFORM CAGE!!!

I am currently now removing the front cage as it is the one and only option to get the car road legal. Crunch has seen the two designs and can confirm the madness of it all. I wouldn't mind so much but the only reason for putting any cage in at all is for a bit of extra piece of mind in an otherwise perfectly solid 1950's unlightened shell, just in case I want do the odd low key competition in it. It is not a 700hp super tourer but the suggested cage design would suit one.
    Last edited by ERC; 01-09-2013 at 05:29 AM.