Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zealand ShellSport Saloon Series 1978 - 1985

Great first post there Ian! Would love to see some photos of your car.

Is this the car that Clive Newman ? Had for a while ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian.Maskell View Post
    I have a Datsun 1200 coupe which I believe was build by Rod Collingwood for the 1980/81 Shellsport series. I purchased the car in 1989 from Peter O'leary of Carterton, and raced it in the early SS2000 series for a class win. The car has remained in use (now treated as a classic) and has just had a birthday with a new engine and tlc getting ready for Chc Festival of speed in Feb 2012. Always good to go to Chc as there are so many people that remember the car and come over for a look and a chat

Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    Fabulous close racing, remember well Tony Marsh in the beautiful Black 1200 coupe, was that the ex Cook/Grant Aitken car? Vaguely recall and I think its shown in one of Nigels pics an Avenger cannot remember who was driving it. Think it was from the South though.
    Hi , most likely Noddy Murdoch in his Avenger .

Quote Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
    Attachment 2562Attachment 2563

Here is a couple of Shellsport cars that I have had a bit to do with that are still racing in current South Island Classic meetings.
    Looks a bit like the Ex Cooky , then Kevin Ryan 160j with different colours , rear flares and sinage

Yes the 160J has the flare kit that Kevin fitted, FYI they are a copy of the flares that Warren Burt had on the Starlet. Keven ran the car with Scope signage, there is a shot of it in the excellent shellsport clip on this website

Shellsport Photos

Here's a few from the archives - I have a lot of mainly Black and White shots from this era if anyone is looking for anything in particular
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Some really great shots there. Keep them coming.

I second what Mike said. ShellSport pics are always welcome. Fantastic looking race cars.

Semi-Pro Racer
    I remember being surprised many years ago to find out that some of the top Shell Sport Datsuns were not in fact owned by the drivers but by a gentleman named Fran Judge.Can anyone confirm this and what was Fran Judges involvment. Was he behind the sponsorship of cars from companies such as Statesman Shirts.

30 Years ago...........Baypark Labour Weekend Meeting.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by GeebeeNZ View Post
    I remember being surprised many years ago to find out that some of the top Shell Sport Datsuns were not in fact owned by the drivers but by a gentleman named Fran Judge.Can anyone confirm this and what was Fran Judges involvment. Was he behind the sponsorship of cars from companies such as Statesman Shirts.
    Don't think I knew that, but Cran Judge was involved earlier, with Paul Fahey and/or Grant Walker in the Cologne Capri era, if I remember correctly (which I do with decreasing reliability these days!)

Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    Don't think I knew that, but Cran Judge was involved earlier, with Paul Fahey and/or Grant Walker in the Cologne Capri era, if I remember correctly (which I do with decreasing reliability these days!)
    Yes and Kevin McNamara that I can remember ,will have to think a bit more on that one,A.C Gill was that another of Crans businesses ?

Semi-Pro Racer
    I think it might have been - but you're pushing now

Yes it was Bob. He also ran Burrows in the Datsun and then the RX7. Fran was involved with a few cars back then.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoSmith View Post
    30 Years ago...........Baypark Labour Weekend Meeting.
    Thats a neat photo!

Yes - I gather Clive had it for a while but not sure of duration.

[QUOTE=Ian.Maskell;6406]Yes - I gather Clive had it for a while but not sure of duration.[/QUO

That car was originally built by Max Crawford in Dunedin ,When Max decided to go to the States Rod brought it of Max,in turn when Rod came north for the Shellsport series ,I looked after the car and helped him at all the meetings up here,when the car was sold to Clive Newman ,I carried on with the tuning etc
    Here is the link to what Max has done
    www.crawfordcomposites.com/daytmaxpr.htm

Will put together phots and post

Im not sure how many cars were built the same way as mine. I was given the impression some years ago, the car stretched the rules but really have no idea. part of the story I have is that the car was a little late getting on the grid for 1980. In any case in building the car, the car body was inzipped at the junction of the floor pan and the sides, and the floor pan lifted 2 inches (50mm) to effectively lower the RL of the roof by 2 inches. The suspension top positions have been "turreted" and the tunnel enlarged to acommodate the drive shaft and exhaust. As with most cars the motor was set back the 12 inches but I changed the fire wall to create more room to improve access for mgearbox removal. I will post some phots to show some detals of the car if anyone is interested. Equally, I would be interested if there are any other survivors (being still raced) from this era.

Post as many photos as you have Ian it is all interesting. PS. You never stretch the rules, you just interpret them differently.