Thread: John Surtees

John Surtees

It has been reported in the overseas motoring press that John Surtees has passed away at 83 years old.

"All at HistoricRacingNews.com are saddened to hear the news this afternoon of the death at 83 of John Surtees, four time 500cc motorcycle World Champion and 1964 Formula One World Champion - a unique feat. He went on run his own team building cars for a variety of series and in later years raised money for a medical charity in the name of his son Henry. A true racing great."

RIP John. A true legend.

Yes just heard, very sad news, I guess we all knew it was coming sometime. A legend that is very unlikely to be repeated. RIP

Goodwood 2016. RIP

Name:  216_0910_330 John Surtees.JPG
Views: 675
Size:  137.7 KB

Name:  216_0911_750 Surtees - Aston Martin.JPG
Views: 695
Size:  139.6 KB

He was going to do a story for our Warwick Farm book...

Twice he raced there, I was there to see him both times, I was one of those cheering him on when he was racing for the World Championship, I loved to look of his Team Surtees cars, both the Lolas and the Surtees, with the arrow down the middle.

A great loss indeed. I'm glad I got a chance to have a couple of chats with him.

Weekend Warrior
    I was at Pukekohe in 1963 when he won the first ever held NZGP at the then new track. A true legend on 2 and 4 wheels.
    Rip John

World Champion
    Check out this classic duel between John Surtees and Bruce McLaren in the 1966 Can Am race at St Jovite. Canada.
    Just the year before John had suffered serious injuries at Mosport when his Lola rolled and he made a remarkable recovery to put on a drive like this.
    The very first Can Am race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUT5mDCwNYI

Name:  1966 First Can Am race..jpg
Views: 424
Size:  149.8 KB

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 03-15-2017 at 10:16 PM.

Thanks for posting that. I can still see him belting into the hairpin at Puke. His face was full of concentration and the disks were squealing on the Lola with McLaren close behind. Great memory.

World Champion
    John,
    I went to the first race I could when I got to England in Sept. 1972 which was this F 2 race at Oulton Park. John started out well but did not complete a lap before retiring and then he officially retired from all race driving just a few weeks later after the US GP at Watkins Glen.
    Like you I was at the 1963 NZGP at Pukekohe as a "little nipper" on a very hot day and was there for one of John's last but very brief drives.
    Check out this field for the 1972 Formula 2 race.

http://www.formula2.net/F272_22.htm

Pinched from a great tribute page on Velocity

I was very fortunate to see John Surtees at the first Can AM series in St Jovite Mont Tremblant , year 1966
    there was a fierce battle for pole position, during practice, between Bruce Mac laren,& John Surtees
    John came to the pitts & yelled out loud “That is it I will not use my brakes no more”
    he wint back on the track winning the pole position! Serge Demanian

Line from the much-loved "Grand Prix" movie...

Sarti e morto

Name:  surtees spa 66.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  31.5 KB

Thanks ..all the big names there huh!!! Man it was hot that day at Puke Ky. Not the hairpin I should have said Elbow left hander..Just so clear in my mind...but don't ask me the name a movie from past week.

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    Not the hairpin I should have said Elbow left hander..Just so clear in my mind...

Name:  surtees elbow 63.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  98.5 KB

Yea well done that's it I was a little further back from the railing!!!you could hear them braking before they came into view. Fantastic photo.

World Champion
    John Surtees could be just as aggressive off the track as he was when driving. They say he was so angry with Jody Scheckter for starting the crash at the start of the 1973 British Grand Prix at Silverstone that took out the 3 Team Surtees TS 14 A F1 cars that when John went looking for Jody, Teddy Mayer had to hide Jody in the McLaren transporter to save him from a possible gender changing event taking place !

(Ken Hyndman)

World Champion
    This is the 1972 Formula Two Surtees TS 10 with a Hart BDA engine that I saw John Surtees briefly drive at Oulton Park.
    Sponsorship provided by "Matchbox Toys" of which many of us had at the time. (Before being sold to Mattel in 1997 )
    Name:  1972 Surtees TS 10  Formula Two car.JPG
Views: 480
Size:  94.9 KB

I find it so sad and ironic that both the 1964 and 1967 F1 world champions, John Surtees and Denny Hulme would both lose their sons in such tragic ways. They must have been devastated.

(Ken Hyndman )

Paul Busby, who is an old friend of mine, once owned one of John Surtees cars and was lucky enough to meet him.

Name:  John-Surtees-with-Paul-Busb.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  130.5 KB