Thread: Photos: The Ross Cammick Collection - Part 1

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    And the speed of finding it!

Heres a few of Reg Cooks saloon racers. First up, one of his Minis, pictured here battling the similar car of Rex Hart. Note the large diameter wheels on Cook's car.

Name:  Cook Hart Puke 1974.jpg
Views: 1566
Size:  128.7 KB

Pretty sure this photo of one of Cook's Datsuns is pre-ShellSport era, when he was competing in the 1300cc NZ Saloon Car Championship class.

Name:  Cooke Nissan Puke March 1976.jpg
Views: 1572
Size:  108.9 KB

And this is from the ShellSport days. Does anyone know how many Datsuns Reg Cook built? I know there was a four door Bluebird that came later on, but there must have been at least three coupes of various models???

Name:  Cook-Puke-79.jpg
Views: 1597
Size:  109.1 KB

[QUOTE=Steve Holmes;58632]And this is from the ShellSport days. Does anyone know how many Datsuns Reg Cook built? I know there was a four door Bluebird that came later on, but there must have been at least three coupes of various models???]

Here's a couple of them together 1979

Name:  Cook-camp-Puke-79.jpg
Views: 1570
Size:  148.5 KB

A focus now on Rod Coppins, starting with this neat pit shot of Rod chilling out in the pits and smoking a cigarette with his good buddy Jim Richards.

Name:  Coppins & Richards Puke 19754.jpg
Views: 1507
Size:  181.3 KB

Speaking of green paint, I'm pretty sure this is from the same season as the photo pictured above, and yes, the Firebird is now painted a funky bright lime green with Monaco Motors signage.

Neville Crichton was racing an HQ Monaro GTS in the Castrol GTX series this same season. The Monaro was factory Barbados Green, and was sponsored by Monaco Motors. I wonder if this was why Rod painted the Firebird this colour?

Name:  Rod Coppins Puke 1974.jpg
Views: 2693
Size:  98.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Speaking of green paint, I'm pretty sure this is from the same season as the photo pictured above, and yes, the Firebird is now painted a funky bright lime green with Monaco Motors signage.

Neville Crichton was racing an HQ Monaro GTS in the Castrol GTX series this same season. The Monaro was factory Barbados Green, and was sponsored by Monaco Motors. I wonder if this was why Rod painted the Firebird this colour?

Name:  Rod Coppins Puke 1974.jpg
Views: 2693
Size:  98.6 KB
    At the March 9, 1974 meeting at Pukekohe the Firebird was ".. now looking very smart in a new coat of green paint with Monaco Motors sign writing on it, as Rod now works there."

In talking with Robin Tanner, who was very good friends with Rod and used to sell a few cars for him, Rod was using some of the Monaco yard to place and sell his own cars, sub-letting part of the space.

I don't know if the green Monaco livery was after or before the Aust trip. The Calder pics were dated March '74.

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    At the March 9, 1974 meeting at Pukekohe the Firebird was ".. now looking very smart in a new coat of green paint with Monaco Motors sign writing on it, as Rod now works there."

Not wanting to hijack the thread of Ross's great pics, but you asked about colour shots of it in green. This is from Australia 1974,

The wheels were borrowed locally as they had the 10" width rule and by then Rod was running 14's on the rear in NZ.

Bruce.