Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Ross Cammick Collection - Part 1

Brent Bullivant was only 19 years old when he first began racing his self-built Capri V8. It was an impressive achievement, and the car had bags of potential. But Bullivant himself had no money, and always struggled.

This is the car during the 1977 season. It had evolved slightly since it first appeared a couple of years earlier. Bullivant built it with a Ford motor, but replaced this with a small block Chevy.

Name:  BullivantCapri-Puke-GP-1977.jpg
Views: 1774
Size:  110.3 KB

Bullivant raced the Capri until 1979, following which it was sold to Graham Baker, I guess around 1980 or '81. Bullivant himself was maintaining Jim Richards' Falcon XC Sports Sedan by this stage.

Baker was a bloody good driver and had the funding to get the most out of the Capri. You can see the changes he'd made, notably in ride height and wheel width. He fitted the car with McLaren wheels, which I assume came off the PDL Mustang, as he'd previously raced this car for a short time during the 1980/81 OSCA season.

The modifications made to the previously attractive flares, whereby they've been cut away and had rudimentary extensions added weren't the most aesthetic improvement, but it sure did go well. In Baker's hands, this car was probably the fastest sedan in New Zealand, and proved quicker than the Capris of Wayne Huxford and Inky Tulloch on several occasions.

Name:  Capri-67-Baypark-1980.jpg
Views: 1887
Size:  117.0 KB

This is the Paul Fahey ex-works Capri RS2600. But I think this might be when the car was owned by Cran Judge, and driven by Grant Walker?

Name:  CapriBaypark75.jpg
Views: 1617
Size:  112.3 KB

MkI Capri at Manfeild in 1975. Anyone know who this is?

Name:  Capri-No-38--Manfield-1975.jpg
Views: 1687
Size:  107.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    MkI Capri at Manfeild in 1975. Anyone know who this is?

Name:  Capri-No-38--Manfield-1975.jpg
Views: 1687
Size:  107.6 KB

Roy Hiscock at the October 19 1975 meeting.

Name:  img154 (2).jpg
Views: 1615
Size:  162.1 KB

Great photographs.

Are there any race programmes you HAVEN'T got Milan? I'm always amazed what you can come up with!

And the speed of finding it!

You're a legend Milan! Thank you.

Heres a few of Reg Cooks saloon racers. First up, one of his Minis, pictured here battling the similar car of Rex Hart. Note the large diameter wheels on Cook's car.

Name:  Cook Hart Puke 1974.jpg
Views: 1559
Size:  128.7 KB

Pretty sure this photo of one of Cook's Datsuns is pre-ShellSport era, when he was competing in the 1300cc NZ Saloon Car Championship class.

Name:  Cooke Nissan Puke March 1976.jpg
Views: 1561
Size:  108.9 KB

And this is from the ShellSport days. Does anyone know how many Datsuns Reg Cook built? I know there was a four door Bluebird that came later on, but there must have been at least three coupes of various models???

Name:  Cook-Puke-79.jpg
Views: 1590
Size:  109.1 KB

Could be Robbie in the Shick car above Steve, he had couple of drives, or Grant Aitken

[QUOTE=Steve Holmes;58632]And this is from the ShellSport days. Does anyone know how many Datsuns Reg Cook built? I know there was a four door Bluebird that came later on, but there must have been at least three coupes of various models???]

Here's a couple of them together 1979

Name:  Cook-camp-Puke-79.jpg
Views: 1564
Size:  148.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Could be Robbie in the Shick car above Steve, he had couple of drives, or Grant Aitken
    Good spotting on the helmet Rod.

A focus now on Rod Coppins, starting with this neat pit shot of Rod chilling out in the pits and smoking a cigarette with his good buddy Jim Richards.

Name:  Coppins & Richards Puke 19754.jpg
Views: 1499
Size:  181.3 KB

I love this car. Its SO tough, especially in its NZ guise with the wide wheels and flares, and this is a really neat angle Ross has caught it on. Anyone recognize what those rear wheels are? The Firebird is still painted white but is no longer wearing its PDL signage. Would this be early in the 1973/74 season?

Ross, by chance do you have any colour photos of the Firebird when it was painted green?

Name:  Coppins-Firebird-Baypark-73.jpg
Views: 1612
Size:  126.2 KB

Speaking of green paint, I'm pretty sure this is from the same season as the photo pictured above, and yes, the Firebird is now painted a funky bright lime green with Monaco Motors signage.

Neville Crichton was racing an HQ Monaro GTS in the Castrol GTX series this same season. The Monaro was factory Barbados Green, and was sponsored by Monaco Motors. I wonder if this was why Rod painted the Firebird this colour?

Name:  Rod Coppins Puke 1974.jpg
Views: 2679
Size:  98.6 KB