Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Goodwood 75th Members Meeting

David Coulthard Drives Mercedes 300SL:

Celebrating Group A. Part 1:

Celebrating Group A. Part 2:

The Graham Hill Trophy full race:

To Ray Green, I know you share my love for Anglo-American sports cars. Spot the rare Ginetta G10 mid-pack in the above video.

Once again the hi-quality live streaming of both days was fantastic - almost, but not quite, as good as being there. Big thanks to the Goodwood organisation for streaming all three events each year, totally free of charge, so that enthusiasts around the world can view them. But I have to say, I was bloody tied on Monday morning ... damn 13 hour time difference!
    Last edited by John B; 03-21-2017 at 02:34 AM.

I haven't watched any of it as yet, (*have now...) but when my dear wife asks me if I'd move back to the UK if anything happened to her, the answer is a definite 'no' - but I probably would go over twice a year for Goodwood! Easy to see why.

For those who haven't yet made the pilgrimage, I strongly advise you add it to your bucket list. The viewing is unobstructed by that terrible catch fencing at all modern circuits and places like Monaco, plus you are close enough to the action to feel part of it - and you have to hand it to Lord March, for inviting such superb classes and full grids.

* Just watched the epic battle between the Cobras and the TVR, but thanks Steve, for the heads up on the Ginetta. Also CUT 7 Jaguar, fastback Lotus Elan, Bizzarrini etc, but boy, that 1964 250 Ferrari looked to be a real handful!
    Last edited by ERC; 03-21-2017 at 03:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    The Graham Hill Trophy full race:
    Thanks for posting the full race Steve. As mentioned above, the live streaming of MM75 was fantastic, however the service failed at just the wrong time ... half way through this race! And this was the race that I really wanted to see. I had heard that a recently completed, UK-based Bill Thomas Cheetah (recreation) had entered, and I was salivating at the thought of a Cheetah V8 racing against a TVR V8. These are two cars that I'm very interested in.

Although in the end the Cheetah didn't race, it was still an absolutely epic battle between the TVR Griffith 400 and the two Cobras. And the TVR won (sorry, spoiler), yah! This was my vote for the best race of the weekend.
    Last edited by John B; 03-21-2017 at 04:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Thanks for posting the full race Steve. As mentioned above, the live streaming of MM75 was fantastic, however the service failed at just the wrong time ... half way through this race! And this was the race that I really wanted to see. I had heard that a recently completed, UK-based Bill Thomas Cheetah (recreation) had entered, and I was salivating at the thought of a Cheetah V8 racing against a TVR V8. These are two cars that I'm very interested in.

Although in the end the Cheetah didn't race, it was still an absolutely epic battle between the TVR Grifith 400 and the two Cobras. And the TVR won (sorry, spoiler), yah! This was my vote for the best race of the weekend.
    Yes you are right John. Strangely enough, when I watched this video yesterday, it showed the first half of the race. When I watched it today, it showed the second half. Strange but true.

I too enjoyed seeing the TVR Grifith. Looks like a Griffith 400 with the kamm tail and MkI Cortina tail lights.

Re the Cheetah, unfortunately it didn't start. In the grid positions shown at the start, the Cheetah was on the back row, but failed to appear for the race. So I assume it had issues in practice.

Alan Hyndman posted this neat video of it on our Cheetah thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Yes you are right John. Strangely enough, when I watched this video yesterday, it showed the first half of the race. When I watched it today, it showed the second half. Strange but true.

I too enjoyed seeing the TVR Grifith. Looks like a Griffith 400 with the kamm tail and MkI Cortina tail lights.

Re the Cheetah, unfortunately it didn't start. In the grid positions shown at the start, the Cheetah was on the back row, but failed to appear for the race. So I assume it had issues in practice.

Alan Hyndman posted this neat video of it on our Cheetah thread:
    Hi Steve,
    Yes, I've watched both videos about this Cheetah. They talk about it being rebuilt from "...a rusty shell and a box of bits...", but don't mention anything about which of the original sixteen Cheetahs it is. From the still photos in the video it looks more like an unfinished project (like mine), rather than an original car with racing provenance. It is also running disc brakes and Weber sidedraft carbs, rather than the original drums and modified Rochester fuel injection. I'd love to know the story behind this car.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Hi Steve,
    Yes, I've watched both videos about this Cheetah. They talk about it being rebuilt from "...a rusty shell and a box of bits...", but don't mention anything about which of the original sixteen Cheetahs it is. From the still photos in the video it looks more like an unfinished project (like mine), rather than an original car with racing provenance. It is also running disc brakes and Weber sidedraft carbs, rather than the original drums and modified Rochester fuel injection. I'd love to know the story behind this car.
    My guess is that its a continuation Cheetah, or whatever they call the accurate replicas. I would surely think all the originals would be spoken for by now?

These are an interesting car in that they were originally designed to compete in the GT category, but because there were insufficient numbers built, the cars that did race in period were forced to run in Group 7, against the early Can-Am cars etc.

Because of that, there doesn't seem to have been a homologation sheet created by the FIA for the Cheetah. I searched but couldn't find one. Unless its listed somewhere other than Cheetah or Chevrolet. So I wonder how they know what specs to build the car to for European historic racing? The front brakes you mentioned John are a good example.

World Champion