Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chevy Monza Histories And Photos

Chevy Monza Histories And Photos

I felt it about time we compiled a list of the various competition Chevy Monza race cars that have been built around the world, and what has become of these cars. They were most popular with racers in the US and Australia, and much less so New Zealand, but it would also be of interest to know of any other cars that were built and raced outside these countries also.

So how about we compile a definitive register of the various cars that were built and raced throughout the world, and their histories, plus historic and modern day photos.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Away you go, Steve

Beautiful Terry Marshall photos show Allan Moffat (DeKon 1005) and Red Dawson (DeKon 1001) at Wigram, January 1976.

Name:  3.MOFFATT.terry-marshall.JPG
Views: 3958
Size:  86.5 KB

Name:  12.DAWSON.terry-marshall.JPG
Views: 3358
Size:  93.2 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Somewhere I have an in depth article on a IMSA? Monza owned/raced by Chris Cord in the States, motor was by Dennis Fischer.

heres the Dawson Monza at Manfeild.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Lots of Monza racing info on here.

http://www.scharch.org/Cars/My_Monza...on_Chassis.htm

Yeah I know and that is an incredible website too but I wanted to create our own archive including all the Aussie stuff as well and the US and NZ that everyone could contribute to. Australians were big on Monza race cars, there were possibly as many examples raced in Aus as there were America.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Beautiful Terry Marshall photos show Allan Moffat (DeKon 1005) and Red Dawson (DeKon 1001) at Wigram, January 1976.

Name:  3.MOFFATT.terry-marshall.JPG
Views: 3958
Size:  86.5 KB

Name:  12.DAWSON.terry-marshall.JPG
Views: 3358
Size:  93.2 KB
    ..the real 'Guru' on th Aussie Monza's is ofcourse our own contributer Rowan,but to start the 'where did they go!!!......John Briggs/Adelaide..Ex Red Dawson/NZ//Dekon/USA...........John Pollard/now WA/Art McKee/NZ//Grant King/USA.......Regards427/MJ...I'm supossed to be in the garden!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by thunder427; 06-12-2011 at 08:00 AM.

Theres some great footage of Ken Epsmans Dekon Monza here:

2009 Monterey Historics.... I think The black porch in front is Rusty French's 935...
    Last edited by faminz; 06-12-2011 at 07:38 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Moffat Dekon

Perry Drury Pic
    Last edited by Ellis; 06-12-2011 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by faminz View Post
    heres the Dawson Monza at Manfeild.
    Note that DeKon 1001 only has 4 stud wheels. Check how dynamic this car looks compared to the cars in the background. It might as well have been from outer space. No wonder these cars were so popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
    Moffat Dekon

Perry Drury Pic
    For what its worth, I always felt Moffats Monza looked better with its wider BBS wheels as it ran in the US than the narrower 10" wheels he was made to fit in Aus. Did he race the car at all between 1976 and 1980?

Do you have any photos of the Dawson/Briggs/Barnes car? Or any others, for that matter? Thats a beautiful photo.

2009 Monterey Historics.... I think The black porch in front is Rusty French's 935...
    Thats a great piece of footage Brett! Boy do those 935s have some straight line squirt, even with Rusty's tight corner exits. Note the blue DeKon Monza (1002) that appears also.....

I was lucky enough to be at Monterey 09 to witness this race, very impressive i must say, Rusty's Poorch was slower in the corners but had more power once the boost came on!! Ken Epsman in the Red Monza also owns the green Sam Posey Challanger and a TA Javelin!! and thats our Kiwi buddy, American Chad Raynal having the drive of his life in 02 Blue Monza!! by the way, Red Dawsons Monza was 01, yeap, the first Dekon built.

Chad, if you read this posting i know you'll have more to add!!!

Dale

I believe the car Rusty was racing is the same one that Alan Jones drove to the 1982 Australian GT Championship, winning every race of the season. Rusty took it over for the '83 season, and I believe has kept it ever since. But Rowan will confirm.

Yep, thats Chad, and don't those Monza's just sound incredible.

That 2009 Monterey Historic IMSA GT race was indeed fun. I believe that if David Donohue hadn't have started putting oil down on the track with a couple laps to go (in an RSR Porsche), it would have ended even better.

The 2007 Monterey Historic IMSA GT race was my favorite, not just because we won, but because we'd worked pretty hard to get the Monza ready for the weekend. My dad, in particular, worked for several weeks straight to get the thing done. My only regret from that weekend was not thanking all of my family (especially my dad and uncle) in the brief after race interview with Alain de Cadenet on the SPEED channel. I hope to have another opportunity to do a better job.

-Chad

I'm sure your family knows how appreciative you are of their help Chad.

This photo was added by timbo61 to the Modified 70s and 80s Saloons thread, but I thought it should be on here also. This is Greame Whincups wild version. Note its right hand drive. Any info on this car? Does it still exist as a Monza, or was it morphed into something else?

Name:  scn0001h.jpg
Views: 2970
Size:  71.4 KB

Was at Manfield and Robin Curtis asked me if I could help them and drive the transporter with Monza in back and deliver it to GM Upper Hutt. I thought of turning north at Palmerston North but how would you hide that, need more than a different paint job. Had good look over car and it was pretty good for those days.