Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Bruce Wells Collection - The Drivers

Frankly I should know who the man with the cap (BRDC?) and the skinny AARC tie is but I've forgotten. It's 1966 again, I'm pretty sure, Stewart's first appearance at the Farm.

Leo makes a face in the 32, this would be the last time he raced it at the Farm I'd think.

Note that we see here the other end of the Girling sign that is in the background of the Stewart pic above.

The Lotus 23 (Chassis No 23-S-15) which was later sold to and updated by Greg Cusack...

This looks like Lakeside, but it could well be Lowood. At this stage the car had a pushrod 1500 motor. Pete was still a growing lad then.
    Last edited by Ray Bell; 04-11-2018 at 09:59 PM.

Sadly, folks, this is the last photo in this chapter, which also means its the last photo in the incredible Bruce Wells Collection. Its taken around four years to post every photo from this amazing collection, and I can't thank Bruce enough for sharing his stunning images. I hope you all enjoyed them.

Name:  WF Inter Matich 2-65.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  115.8 KB

Sad indeed, Steve...

So many good pics in the collection. So many that restore memories of great times and great places and great races. So many, too, of people no longer with us, that's the really sad part.

As for this pic, I can't pick it at all. It appears to me it's not a driver, maybe a mechanic? And I can't identify the car either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    Sad indeed, Steve...

So many good pics in the collection. So many that restore memories of great times and great places and great races. So many, too, of people no longer with us, that's the really sad part.

As for this pic, I can't pick it at all. It appears to me it's not a driver, maybe a mechanic? And I can't identify the car either.
    Climax engine? Well finished, note the chrome on water pipes, that's not much to help!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    Sad indeed, Steve...

Thanks Ray, I'm glad you enjoyed them. And I agree with your sentiments.

Re the last photo, the caption just says "WF Inter Matich 2-65". So I assume that to mean its the Warwick Farm International, February 1965. Could it be Frank Matich's Brabham?

It could be Matich's car...

I might just send the pic to Geoff Smedley and see what he says about it, he was the chief spanner on the car at that time.

That was the meeting he fitted a rev limiting rotor button to it so Frank couldn't rev it so hard...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Sadly, folks, this is the last photo in this chapter, which also means its the last photo in the incredible Bruce Wells Collection. Its taken around four years to post every photo from this amazing collection, and I can't thank Bruce enough for sharing his stunning images. I hope you all enjoyed them.

I believe it is Frank Matich.

Yes, Geoff just confirmed that it is...

And he also advised that the 'chromed water pipes' were polished aluminium.

Matich cars were always immaculate! To get that finish on thee alloy must have meant they had a bit of spare time

Geoff did comment that he recognised that the car was from his time with it...

Always immaculate in his presentation, the John Youl car, Matich's cars, the Howard and Sons cars and the team of cars he prepared in Singapore.

A strange thing is he has a Shell “cap” on but this car was owned by Total Oil.

Yes, he's clowning around...

That's why the face looks a bit strange. And the Shell logo was why I didn't plump for him right away.

It is a great pity these Bruce Wells photos have come to an end. They are so fantastic

The photos from Warwick Farm, Catalina and Oran Park are so great to me because I was probably at most of those 60's meetings and brings back such memories.

On this thread there are a couple of unresolved matters:

who are the guys in posts 5 and 6?

In post #166 is the Geoghegan car at Lakeside or Lowood? I think it's Lakeside because I don't think Bruce Wells went to Lowood.

Thanks again Steve for posting this truly fantastic collection

I notice on Clark’s driving suit that he is called “Jimmy”.

This is very unusual as I don’t think I have ever heard him referred to as other than “Jim”

Seems very American.