Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 5000

Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan View Post
    Photo caption in 1970 Shell NZ Motor Racing says "Yank Mechanic of the Year Larry Burton", which rings a bell.
    Perhaps Mr Grimwood could OK the posting of the 2 photos (presumably both Euan Sarginson's)

Stu
    Just loaded them, Gee Stu pressure. You are so right. 1st photo says Yank mechanic of the year Larry Burton supervised last minute work on Bill Simpsons Eagle from his wheelchair.
    2nd says, Larry Burton chaired an impromtu meeting attended by Max Stewart, Kevin Bartlett and Bill Simpson
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi285 View Post
    Attachment 12194
    Swede, Ulf Norinders Lola, who by all accounts was a true character, he had to retire half way through race with 'heat exhaustion' apparantley he enjoyed the Southland hospitality the night before so much that he puked in his helmet after 30 odd laps. Was this true? There must be many stories out there of this guy.

He certainly was that. He propositioned by wife and promised her a really great time.

I see this morning on the news that Lola Car has gone to the wall. A real pity as they produced some really great looking cars - I love the T70 series of cars.

Kiwi 285, is this your missus

MarkQ, this may help explain the helmet.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Could be Miss New Zealand getting the Norinder pitch. ?Heather Gettings? (No pun intended)

Stu

Just loaded them, ...
    Rod, Thank you for posting these remarkable photos. Very much appreciated.

Steve

That photo of Norinder could almost be a caption contest!
    How about, "I could hold you beautiful butt like this and...."

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    That photo of Norinder could almost be a caption contest!
    How about, "I could hold you beautiful butt like this and...."
    Or "To drive these cars real fast, you need bal#@ this big"

Cool

MarkQ, this may help explain the helmet.
    Probably in shorts rather than a dress. Obviously a man never to pass up an opportunity.

Just a reminder for those of you close enough to attend. Expected 25+ F5000's. Tasman Revival.

Round 3: 23rd, 24th and 25th of November 2012: Tasman Revival, Sydney Motorsport Park Raceway, Sydney, NSW, Australia.

Weekend Warrior
    The Mclaren M10 that we rebuilt last year will be running at Hampton downs this weekend and then Ruapuna on 2nd 3rd of Feb 2013.
    Bruce Leeson will be Driving the car so keep an eye out for it!

I am curious to know what happened to the BRP64/Ford that came to NZ for the 1970 series and ended with the unenviable finishing/starting record of Kaye Griffiths Levin (DNQ) Pukekohe NZIGP (Ret) Wigram (DNQ) and Peter Huges Teretonga (DNS). It is shown in some parts as having been sold to Peter Hughes but I have a feeling that this is incorrect as when Peter raced in F5000 he was in a Begg FM2.

Nick, car looked very nice, went well, but expired on Saturday.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Whose car is this? I took it at Bay Park in late 69, but I'm damned if I can recall who it is.
    JonL

If he didn't make an impression on you that weekend, you must have been on holidays with a new girlfriend !

'Tis Graham McRae in the Crown Lynn McLaren M10A.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Alchoholic haze, I think. The party the night before was quite intense.........

Same meeting perhaps?Name:  IMG_0003 (Large).jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  85.3 KB

With luck another pictureName:  IMG_0014 (Large).jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  103.9 KB

Great pics, lovely colour : are they from slides ? Jack Inwood at work outside the fence in the bottom pic.
    Must be the early December meeting, as it's only a small field.
    McRae, #14 Lawrence : #8 might be Cary Taylor in the Brabham, and#39 Peter Hughes in the Lotus 25/33, #7 Peter Moloney in the Cooper and #19 John Nicholson in the ex-Lawrence BT18.
    Last edited by GD66; 01-28-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Same meeting perhaps?
    Indeed it was. Mine are from slides - about the only time I took them, unfortunately. I might even have some 8mm movie somewhere I'll dig out - or perhaps that was the Norm Beechey meeting, with the Chevy Nova.
    Not F5000, but Peter Hughes Graeme Lawrence and "Fat Jack" at the same meeting

Semi-Pro Racer
    Whoops - no - Peter Hughes must be at a different meeting......damn memory is not what it was.......

Weekend Warrior
    Yes, it was a shame I am sure it will be running down there again some time!