Thread: Commonwealth Games HQ Holdens

Commonwealth Games HQ Holdens

Does anyone know anything about these cars? Or better yet, does anyone know someone who owns one? I'd like to include one in my upcoming Holden book.

Here is a photo I found on the interweb. I've not seen one for years.

Name:  ScannedImage.jpg
Views: 2600
Size:  43.5 KB

Weekend Warrior
    After the 74 Commonwealth Games, General Motors NZ sold off the cars via their rural and metropolitan dealer network.
    Ted Rogers Motors who were then the Holden dealers in Otorohanga and Te Kuiti sold one to a mate of mine, the car he had was fitted with a 253 cu inch V8 motor with a 4 speed manual gearbox also they were fitted with Rostyle looking design wheels which they fitted to the HQ Monaros as standard equipment.
    I am pretty certain they were assembled at the NZ plant at Trentham if I remember correctly they had a unique interior trim.

Friend/colleague in Huntly had one, but they had to order before the games, and pay for it, with delivery after the games were over. Their one had to have a new front guard fitted before delivery.

Journeyman Racer
    I read an article on these a few years ago.don't recall what mag but probably AMC or NZclassiccar.Didn't they have the small V8?

They were quite a smart looker without pretending to be a grunt machine, came with this logo on the doors which was removed at the end of the Games.
    Name:  comm games 74.png
Views: 1861
Size:  2.8 KB

Thanks everyone, great info. Does anyone know how many were built?

Quote Originally Posted by hilstwist View Post
    I read an article on these a few years ago.don't recall what mag but probably AMC or NZclassiccar.Didn't they have the small V8?
    Yes Steve I believe they were all fitted with the 253 Holden V8.