Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neville Crichton/Jim Richards HQ Monaro

Neville Crichton/Jim Richards HQ Monaro

Does anyone have photos and/or info on the HQ GTS350 Monaro that Neville Crichton raced in the Castrol GTX series, and then which became the speedway car raced by Jim Richards and Steve Millen?

It started out as the first of two Monaros raced by Crichton in the 1973/74 GTX series, but ended up being written off, thus requiring a replacement. The replacement car was lime green. The original was a dark colour, possibly metallic brown?

After it was written off, Jerry Clayton had it converted into a fuel-injected speedway car which Jim Richards raced at Waikaraka Park speedway for a couple of seasons in Sidchrome colours, before Steve Millen took it over. It eventually made its way to the Manawatu where it was raced by Bill Dorn.

Does anyone have photos of it both as raced by Crichton, but also by Richards, Millen, and Dorn? I'm after either photos or period advertising if there is any? Also, does anyone know how it was written off when Crichton had it? I believe it was a road accident or similar.

Name:  First Crichton Monaro.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  137.2 KB

Name:  10156107_716281675081450_4633632487203629203_n.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  78.9 KB

There has been mention of the write off accident on another thread here Steve.
    I saw it at Baypark, not a bronze.In fact, I am sure that is me on the far left, had a shirt like that, and hair style also
    Was reputed to have a SUPER special motor just to beat Jim Richards, but I remember seeing a plate- Tuned By.....this company.
    It was very quick that day.
    Will check my history here....also Milan may know.
    I take it you did not mean to spell it Moanro
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 04-10-2017 at 05:07 AM.

Thanks John, no, didn't mean to spell it wrong. Just my two finger typing runs at warp speed sometimes.

There is another thread on here started by the person who now owns the second of Crichton's GTX Monaros, the lime green car. On it, someone said the first car ended up in a lake?

Thread here: http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...een-One-Anyway!)

This is from the October 14, 1973 meeting at Pukekohe.

Name:  img315_1.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  116.8 KB

Week later-
    October 28 Manfield inaugural meeting- Don Scott in Monaro 350 were entertaining the spectators though he was well out of contention .Motorman Dec 1973.

Baypark Labour weekend 1973- drive of the weekend came from Neville Crichton in the GTS Holden Monaro. After a practice shunt which modified the front-end considerably,Crichton threw the big Amco car round to place second to Jim Richards on both occasions.Motorman Dec 1973.

Manfield April 20 1974- Don Scott at the wheel of the ex-Crichton Holden Monaro for the first time was third on the grid. He got past Richards, but undid all the good work by having an enormous spin on the Dunlop curve, being lucky not to hit the bank.
    Pix shows Scott number 2 with WOOLWORTHS on the side, light colour in B/W photo facing Richards
    Motorman June 1974-page 34
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 04-11-2017 at 12:10 AM.

This is from the 30 December 1973 Bay Park programme. It would have been taken at the previous meeting. Doesn't show much of the car except for the Monaco Motors on the screen. It was sponsored by Woolworth NZ Ltd. at the December meeting.

Name:  img318_1.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  129.5 KB

Hi guys, thanks for this great info. The green car is the best known of the two HQ Monaros Crichton raced that season, and is now in Australia. For some reason very few photos were taken of the brown car, at least not that I've seen. I'm still hopeful something comes to light as I'd like to do a short story on the car in my Holdens book, as it lived a pretty colourful life and was raced by some famous people.

Thanks again guys.

2nd year in new paint.

got couple more i think
    Attached Images Attached Images  

couple more only black and white. I remember when the tie rod broke in the capri and crapping, as i had been listening too the roar behind, next was a look out window at a big Monaro grill. Jim actually got past with out touching thank god.

Thanks Rod, keep 'em coming. Would you happen to know anyone who was taking photos during this time that I could contact?

Yes, Rex Rattenbury i will forward your details to him, he is in aussie now.
    He is fairly interesting himself with lot of history in NZ motorsport. worked as photographer for Auckland Star etc
    They his photo above

Fantastic! Thanks heaps Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Fantastic! Thanks heaps Rod.
    I think Rex passed away last year, but could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hirst View Post
    I think Rex passed away last year, but could be wrong.
    wrong
    caught up with him and family at Barbagallo last November, yea heard this before Kevin not sure where it from.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    wrong
    caught up with him and family at Barbagallo last November, yea heard this before Kevin not sure where it from.
    Cheers
    Very pleased to hear that Rod, neat guy.

Does anyone have a contact for Andre Ruiterman? The late Gavin Evitt, a true speedway guru, posted several photos to this site back in 2011 of the Sidchrome Monaro speedway car, including this one, and credited Andre as the photographer. Can anyone help?

Name:  AR13-03-1976021Standarde-mailview.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  117.9 KB

Love the drivers' gesture in post 16

Do you think it means let's have a couple of beers after the race?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Love the drivers' gesture in post 16
    Steve Millen, remember it, Ray had given him a couple of good sideswipes as he attempted to pass, took couple of laps and he set him up and went around outside. not often did we all BBQ together back then.

Not sure on this one.