Thread: No more info required

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Vauxhall

My First real driver at the age of 18 after I had learnt to drive around the farm, and around the dirt roads of Marong and Eaglehawk in the old B Model,was a very tidy green 1937 2 door Vauxhall coupe with a dicky seat or rumble seats, as some call them ,I am not sure why they call them dickey or rumble ,as sure as hell you couldn,t do much with a dickey let along have a rumble in it as I remember as an 18 year old, back then.
    I am not sure how much it cost back then ,as my uncle Frank gave me some of the money for the purchase,at that time he had very nice 1956 Ford Fairlane, which was from memory about 5 colors, which he hardly ever drove,and he used to keep it in the shed all polished up and covered up,and went every where on his bike or horse ,if it rained he stayed home,sometimes he would borrow my car ,looking back now I can see why he gave me some money to buy my car, cunning bugger.

Name:  Fairlane.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  9.2 KB

After several months of being thrashed to death, as all young blokes of the time treated there cars,the ones I knew anyway, if they were lucky enough to own one, the poor old Vauxhall gave up the ghost and I blew the gear box,,I found out later after the event that they were renown for having weak gear boxes ,and I can without question agree with that,especially 1st and 2nd gear,so for a short time I was car less and it was put to rest up in a paddock and stayed there for as long as I can remember and become home for snakes lizards and red back spiders.
    I know it was still there long after I come to NZ

This is what my Vauxhall was like ,but was dark green with black guards

Name:  1937 vauxhall coupe.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  7.7 KB

This photo is what it looked like from behind
    Name:  36ThreeWindow003.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  36.0 KB

After that,and for sometime after, I relied on my mate Kevin to get around with, or anyone else who needed a few bob for gas .

Name:  singer  one.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  185.2 KB
    Kevin had a nice little Singer sports that we used to get around in, unfortunatly for me ,if we managed to pickup some girl friends I always had to sit in the back,I must say that it was not very comfortable in the back seat, as you sat quite high up above the line of the front screen,a bit like the way I am sitting on the back of my brother's and mine little pedal car that we had about 1945.
    Name:  robbie & I in pedal car 3.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  42.0 KB
    I always had to jump off and push if we went up a small hill ,thank god I never had to jump off and push Kevin's Singer but I did have to contend to the wind blowing in your face, but it did make for a cosy night out if you had a girl friend as you had to snuggle down together to get out of the wind blowing in your face and blowing her hair all over the place,I would have prefured a dickey seat much better
    Last edited by markson; 07-09-2017 at 03:28 PM.