Thread: 2017 Goodwood Revival - race programme schedule

2017 Goodwood Revival - race programme schedule

Friday
    Race 1: Kinrara Trophy (60 mins – two drivers)
    After a scintillating debut at last year’s Revival, the Friday-evening race for closed-cockpit GT cars – of three litres and over – of a type that raced before 1963 will make for a very welcome curtain-raiser to the meeting.
    Saturday
    Race 2: Chichester Cup (20 mins)
    There’s been a Chichester Cup race on the Revival programme every year bar one, for good reason: the rear-engined Formula Juniors with drum brakes, of a type that raced between 1958 and 1962
    Race 3: Madgwick Cup (20 mins)
    The baby sportscar race, for prototypes under three litres of a type that raced between 1955 and 1960, is no less exciting than its Whitsun Trophy big brother. A packed grid of Brabham, Crossle, Elva and Lotus machines.
    Race 4: Barry Sheene Memorial Trophy, Part 1 (25 mins – two riders)
    The first of a pair of two-rider races for motorcycles of a type that raced between 1960 and 1966, whose indecent pace belies their age, takes place on Saturday.
    Race 5: St Mary’s Trophy, Part 1 (25 mins)
    Another double-header, with a pro/am driver line-up in saloon cars of a type that raced up to 1959, the St Mary’s Trophy is many visitors’ favourite event. Superstar touring car racers – retired and current
    Race 6: Goodwood Trophy (20 mins)
    Grand Prix & Voiturette cars of a type that raced between 1930 and 1951 are warmed up ahead of the Goodwood Trophy, another Revival classic that pits exquisite Alfas, Bugattis, ERAs and Maseratis against each other.
    Race 7: Whitsun Trophy (25 mins)
    Unlimited sports-prototypes of a type that raced up to 1966 contest the annual Whitsun Trophy, the fastest race of the Revival weekend. The raucous rumble from an unleashed pack of McLaren M1Bs, Lola T70 Spyders, Ford GT40s and Lotus 30s
    Race 8: Freddie March Memorial Trophy (20 mins)
    For sports cars in the spirit of the Goodwood Nine Hour races 1952-’55. Evoking period memories, stunning Aston Martins, Ferraris, HWMs, Jaguars and Maseratis do battle once more.
    Sunday
    Race 9: Brooklands Trophy (20 mins)
    Kickstarting Sunday’s programme is the Brooklands Trophy for sports cars in the spirit of the great Brooklands endurance races prior to 1939.
    Race 10: Richmond Trophy (20 mins)
    Priceless perfection comes in the shape of the Richmond Trophy for front-engined Grand Prix cars of a type that raced between 1952 and 1960. Many of the world’s most fabulous machines from arguably its most aesthetic era come out to play, including BRM, Ferrari, Maserati icons, Ferguson and Scarab.
    Race 11: Barry Sheene Memorial Trophy Part 2 (25 mins – two riders)
    Bike racing fans get a second instalment of two-wheeled combat on Sunday when the leather-clad legends take to the circuit for the deciding part of the aggregate event named after Britain’s great double World Champion Barry Sheene.
    Race 12: St Mary’s Trophy, Part 2 (25 mins)
    The owners of the 1950s saloon cars pick up the pieces on Sunday after the pro racers’ shenanigans the day before.
    Race 14: Royal Automobile Club TT Celebration (60 mins – two drivers)
    For many the largest and most shiny jewel in the Revival’s well-decorated crown, the Royal Automobile Club TT Celebration race for closed-cockpit GT cars in the spirit of the RAC TT races from 1960 to 1964 is an hour-long, two-driver pro/am feast
    Race 15: Glover Trophy (20 mins)
    The tiny, lowline, rear-engined machines that contest the Glover Trophy for 1.5-litre Grand Prix cars of a type that raced between 1961 and 1965
    Race 16: Sussex Trophy (25 mins)
    Now the traditional Revival curtain-closer, the Sussex Trophy for World Championship sportscars and production sports-racing cars of a type that raced between 1955 and 1960 produces a magical time-warp trip back to the discipline’s heyday when Jaguar D-types, Knobbly- and Costin-bodied Listers and Ferraris battled.

Overall, the programme looks very similar to 2016, other than a return of the saloons. Personally, I'd like to see the programme shaken up a bit as having the same time slots again at the end of each day means that apart from the Kinrara Trophy (Friday evening) it means that the closing races are at a time when many are having to head home after a long day, or two or three days - especially Sunday. Many have to travel a considerable distance to get home and into work on the Monday morning. There is also the traffic to deal with. I'd put the under 3 litre sports cars last!

If I can get in 2019, I'll be planning on either having a kip during the day or making sure I can stay a bit closer, as I'd like to see those final races each day.

Thanks for posting this Ray, great effort. I've never been to this event, but I recall your comments from previous visits that there are long delays between the races. Seems a shame they can't reduce the time gaps between races so each day ends a little earlier for the punters.

I see the St Marys Trophy for saloons has reverted back to the pre-1960 cars, rather than the pre-1966 cars they ran two years ago.

The St Mary's trophy in 2016 was just the Austin A30/A35 Academy cars and they were the only saloons in the whole programme, which was a shame, given the popularity of saloons. But, up until the touring cars took off around 1959 or so, most races were for sports, GTs or single seaters anyway.

The under 3 three litre sports leave me a little bit cold as they look too much alike. The Barry Sheene bike races are usually very popular as there are plenty of bikers who go along as spectators.

From the above programme, it is easy to see how much racing you get and although there are various track parades and demonstrations, given that the racing doesn't finish until quite late, they really are very long days. Saturday tickets are sold out already but for me, Friday is probably my favourite day.

It is still a bucket list event for enthusiasts though and seeing everything on offer is nigh on impossible. There are so many displays, stalls and pre 1966 car parks, that to do them all justice may mean skipping a race or two. The other piece of advice is that you can pick up two large golf umbrellas for about $20 and if you don't mind lugging them around, a couple of directors chairs, but these need to be purchased before entry at any of the UK's many outlets.

The food outlets outside the paddock are extremely varied and not overly expensive. Inside the paddock/track I didn't even find a decent coffee! Plenty of champagne around...

World Champion
    To quote the adult cartoon show, Archer, PHRASING!!

Race 12: St Mary’s Trophy, Part 2 (25 mins)
    The owners of the 1950s saloon cars pick up the pieces on Sunday after the pro racers’ shenanigans the day before.

I would hope the owners are not having to "pick up the pieces"! Mind you, if they are, then the racing will have been a little more "elbows out" than is usual and possibly more akin to late 80's early 90's BTCC than Goodwood Reunion.

World Champion
    For those of us who did not know;
    The 2017 Goodwood Revival will begin on Friday, September 8 and end on Sunday, September 10

Ray have you been to one of the Goodwood Members Meeting events yet?

No Steve! Probably because a) I am not a GRRC member and b) I am not normally in the UK that early in the year. I think the Members Meeting is normally around March or April.

They certainly look to be interesting meetings though, with a great mix of cars from Edwardian to BTCC cars. Maybe I could pencil it in for next year if I am allowed another solo visit to the UK? Will usually need the winter woollies and rainwear!

Do you have to be a GRRC member to attend Ray? I think it looks like a great meeting, with wider diversity of races than the Revival. They also allow cars that might not necessarily meet Revival standards, such as TVR Griffith, Ginetta G10 etc. The races for Group 1 touring cars of the 1970s and early '80s also look interesting.

But I agree, definitely winter gear required.

Race 3 is to include the ex Boyd/Ivy Stephenson and others Buckler.